Question about Core Mira pickups and wiring

lchender

Hi There,

I own a 2008 PRS Core Mira and I have a few questions regarding the pickups and pickup wiring that I'm hoping a forum member with more knowledge than I might be able to answer.

I've heard that the core Mira pickups were an uncovered version of the SC245 pickups, but have been unable to find any information to confirm. I believe the core Mira pickups are 2-wire pickups?

What I would like to do is to make the middle position hum-cancelling when the coil split is activated. From what I understand, this may be possible by flipping the magnet on one of the pickups and I had read that this is part of how the hum-cancelling positions are obtained on older PRS guitars with the 5-way rotary pickup selector.

I was wondering if flipping the magnet on one of the pickups on my Mira would make the middle position hum cancelling in coil-split mode? Also, does it matter which magnet is flipped (i.e., bridge or neck pickup)?

Thanks!

Depends on how the pickups were made. If they are just the black wire with bare braided shield, plus a white tap wire, you'll be stuck with out of phase in the middle position if you flip a magnet.

If they have red, black, white, and bare wires, you can pick either of the pickups and flip the magnet. Then you'll need to swap locations of the hot/ground wires for that pickup to get back in phase.

The other option is to change which coil gets cancelled for one of the pickups. I assume they both tap to screw coil. A common way to do it is tap the bridge pickup to the slug coil instead. You do this by tapping to hot instead of to ground. It'll change up a couple of the sounds, but you'll be hum cancelling in the middle.

Much appreciated, Garrett! I think they’re 2-wire pickups, but I’ll have a peek!

Back