Pulled the trigger on a HDRX 20 watt head!

I love mixing the DA side in, and using both volumes on the HXDA. It’s like having another EQ section. I use a mix of HX and DA switches on mine. My guess is that the HDRX20 is all HX, all the time (which ain’t a bad thing!).

I love mixing the DA side in, and using both volumes on the HXDA. It’s like having another EQ section. I use a mix of HX and DA switches on mine. My guess is that the HDRX20 is all HX, all the time (which ain’t a bad thing!).
I think I can still do something like that with the two volume controls of the HDRX 20...right?

It has three volume controls. Treble Volume. Bass Volume. Master Volume.

I think I can still do something like that with the two volume controls of the HDRX 20...right?

Yes. On Marshalls, you would jumper the channels so you could blend them to taste. Even unjumpered there is usually some channel bleed.
Those circuits didn't have a master volume - 1959/1987

Yes, the channel thing, as @El Fenix notes.

The HX and DA switches were particular to the HXDA, which switches components in or out to match what was in the Allman amp and the models Hendrix used.

The brighter Hendrix tone is what most are familiar with, and seek from “plexi” amps generally. That’s what I believe the HDRX is chasing. Duane’s tone had top end, but some serious low end too, which some perceive as dark. I hear it as “powerful.” The HXDA does both, but at several times the cost.

My bet is that you’ll be quite happy with the tones you get, and won’t feel like you’re missing anything at all.

Yes, the channel thing, as @El Fenix notes.

The HX and DA switches were particular to the HXDA, which switches components in or out to match what was in the Allman amp and the models Hendrix used.

The brighter Hendrix tone is what most are familiar with, and seek from “plexi” amps generally. That’s what I believe the HDRX is chasing. Duane’s tone had top end, but some serious low end too, which some perceive as dark. I hear it as “powerful.” The HXDA does both, but at several times the cost.

My bet is that you’ll be quite happy with the tones you get, and won’t feel like you’re missing anything at all.
Duane, I believe, preferred the tone of 50 watt Marshalls. They do break up at lower volume than the 100 watt Marshalls Cream and Hendrix used. I've owned both and the 100 watt plexis seem brighter to me. And really loud!

Duane, I believe, preferred the tone of 50 watt Marshalls. They do break up at lower volume than the 100 watt Marshalls Cream and Hendrix used. I've owned both and the 100 watt plexis seem brighter to me. And really loud!
If I recall, when Paul checked it out it was some sort of 50 watt bass circuit, and not a pure plexi at all. Getting that sound and the Hendrix plexi tone, and getting to mix them, is what made the HXDA so flexible and great sounding. It completely won me over in very short fashion!

i love the amp but rarely use the DA settings. i stay on the HX side
Duane Allman voiced
I prefer the DA positions switched in with most of my guitars, except for the last one on the right (I go back and forth depending on the guitar). But I basically bought the amp for the Allman sound.

The beauty of the HXDA is being able to customize the tone to my preferences, and frankly, for each of my guitars, moods, projects and what-have-you.

What a freaking fantastic amp. It's one of two amps I will never sell (the other is my DG30). I love my Mesas, don't get me wrong, and make money with them also, but the PRS CAD amps are on a different level. They're creative inspiration.

You can buy whatever you like, of course, we all can. But it's hard to buy inspiration!! :)

If I recall, when Paul checked it out it was some sort of 50 watt bass circuit, and not a pure plexi at all. Getting that sound and the Hendrix plexi tone, and getting to mix them, is what made the HXDA so flexible and great sounding. It completely won me over in very short fashion!
Paul got his hands on Duane Allman's actual 'Live at the Fillmore' Superbass and cloned it. It was provided by the Allman Brothers Band.

The HX features were based on an Eric Johnson Plexi Superlead (supposedly used by Hendrix) with differences that PRS found were down to very few circuit parts.

It's a beautiful sounding amp, owing a lot to rock history. And it sounds like it! Best amp I've ever used, all-time going back to 1967.

I'm guessing that's why both of us have at least one. ;)

Well, I finally pulled my trigger on one. I'll be getting it from Sweetwater this Friday. I kinda am on the fence about getting the matching cab though... I'm trying to learn how to build my own.
I used to build my own. Still could being a furniture maker.

There's something nice about having a matching cabinet or at least a really nice one.

Mine's going to sit on top of a Matchless 2 x12 cab or a Matchless 1 x 12 cab most of the time.

I have a Celestion Heritage G12H30 speaker in my 1 x 12. Made in England.

Supposed to be the Hendrix speaker. Sure sounds good!

I used to build my own. Still could being a furniture maker.

There's something nice about having a matching cabinet or at least a really nice one.

Mine's going to sit on top of a Matchless 2 x12 cab or a Matchless 1 x 12 cab most of the time.

I have a Celestion Heritage G12H30 speaker in my 1 x 12. Made in England.

Supposed to be the Hendrix speaker. Sure sounds good!

I used to do some carpentry work, and have made some speaker boxes here and there for like 6" or 8" cones. Nothing amazing, just some country bumpkin boxes. For guitar cabs, I kinda feel like it wold be a less expensive route, and I rather enjoy doing custom upholstery work.

Reminds me, I have an old Peavey 4x12 slant cab from '91 that I'm refurbishing. I'm going with Eminence Cannabis Rex speakers. I've been wanting to try something with hemp cones for a while.

I used to do some carpentry work, and have made some speaker boxes here and there for like 6" or 8" cones. Nothing amazing, just some country bumpkin boxes. For guitar cabs, I kinda feel like it wold be a less expensive route, and I rather enjoy doing custom upholstery work.

Reminds me, I have an old Peavey 4x12 slant cab from '91 that I'm refurbishing. I'm going with Eminence Cannabis Rex speakers. I've been wanting to try something with hemp cones for a while.
Mellow tones from the hemp coned speakers I've had. Some guys love 'em.

Back