Pulled the trigger on a HDRX 20 watt head!

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
I'll be using it with a Matchless AC30 size cab with two Celestion Silver G12 alnicos or a single 12 Matchless cab with a Celestion G12H30.

David Starr at Starr's Guitars in Cedaredge, Colorado gave me a deal I couldn't refuse on the HDRX 20.

David's a local PRS dealer and does do online orders, although I'll be picking mine up. His shop is about 45 minutes from me.

I highly recommend him. Bought my Silver Sky and my Breedlove acoustics from him. Nice guy and a great player too.

This video convinced me. https://prsguitars.com/amplifier/hdrx_20_2022

I love the Hendrix chord tones Bryan gets. Those R&B double stops and pull offs are what I always liked most about Jimi's playing.

At about the 5:10 mark, Bryan switches from a Silver Sky to a McCarty and starts getting a humbucker through a Marshall or Dumble tone out of it. Not a dimed Marshall (like Clapton used with the Bluesbreakers and Cream) but close enough.

Sounds kind of like Robben Ford's Gibson through a Dumble tone too.

I think it'll be perfect for what I'm looking for.

I'll have it the end of next week.

Don't own any Marshalls anymore, although I do have some Blackstars and a Vox AC30. But they're too heavy and too loud!

Just not appropriate for the gigs I play or the way I play anymore.

Last edited:
Will do.

Rick, is there a slip cover available for this amp head?
The reason I’m sure you’ll love it is actually my pair of HXDAs! No one knows how to get that old Marshall tone like PRS, and everything I’ve heard played on the new HDRX20 sounds great. If I didn’t already have the HXDAs, I’d have bought the HDRX20 already… and almost did anyway!

On the cover, I don’t know that any PRS amp comes with one. As Les notes, Studio Slips makes a great cover, as does Tuki. Both of the padded covers for my HXDAs (one head and one 1x12 combo) were made by Tuki.

i'm curious. i love my HXDA but rarely use the DA.
You love it but rarely use it? Is that what you're saying?

Because it's too loud? Or what?

If that's the case I'm in the same boat with my AC30.

I love it but rarely use it. It's just too loud. And heavy.

But I can't bring myself to sell it.

You love it but rarely use it? Is that what you're saying?

Because it's too loud? Or what?

If that's the case I'm in the same boat with my AC30.

I love it but rarely use it. It's just too loud. And heavy.

But I can't bring myself to sell it.
i love the amp but rarely use the DA settings. i stay on the HX side

Back