PRS wax

Am I the only one that thinks the PRS Guitar Polish is too thick?
it really goes on thick
I asked my buddy and He said the same thing "too thick"
has any one used anything to thin it some?

Did I tell you it was too thick?
Too Thick! I used it once on a Yamaha acoustic. I doubt I’ll ever use it again.

I honestly don't use the PRS stuff much. I have a couple of bottles that I have had for a long time. I don't know which is and is not nitro safe so I keep that off of the nitro guitars. I use Gibson polish on pretty much everything. It has never failed me yet. I don't remember the PRS polish that I have being too thick though. I have had mine for quite a while though.

Either I don’t understand how to use it, or it is indeed pretty awful. If I don’t remove it immediately after polishing a spot, and I mean IMMEDIATELY (to the point of being impractical), it sets up like old school carnauba wax but is even harder to remove. I can’t get it off without spraying more cleaner on it, so either it’s a conspiracy to sell more cleaner, or I just don’t get it. Maybe it
Is a wax, but… call it wax.

For that reason, I just use the cleaner. Polishing technically abrades the surface, which if done too much over time could compromise it, much of the time all that’s needed is a good cleaning and wipe down with a microfiber cloth.

By PRS Wax are you referring to the polish to get scratches out, or the Cleaner they use at the factory before shipping?

The Cleaner is great. Leaves a beautiful shine, and since it doesn't have abrasives, doesn't scratch the finish. I use it with a clean, fluffy microfiber cloth.

For polishing out fine scratches, scuffs and swirl marks, Virtuoso's polishes are the best on the market, and they're nitro-safe.

By PRS Wax are you referring to the polish to get scratches out, or the Cleaner they use at the factory before shipping?

The Cleaner is great. Leaves a beautiful shine, and since it doesn't have abrasives, doesn't scratch the finish. I use it with a clean, fluffy microfiber cloth.

For polishing out fine scratches, scuffs and swirl marks, Virtuoso's polishes are the best on the market, and they're nitro-safe.
The bottle labeled Guitar Polish
I find the cleaner works good
its the polish that's too thick

The bottle labeled Guitar Polish
I find the cleaner works good
its the polish that's too thick
Polishes are just solid crushed abrasives suspended in a surfactant liquid. The rubbing breaks down the abrasive material into finer and finer particles - at least that's what it's supposed to do.

Unfortunately, I've found that most guitar polishes contain abrasive that doesn't break down into finer particles easily, or maybe has too much solid abrasive, so you get a buildup of gunk, and a somewhat hazy surface.

I haven't tried the PRS polish because it wasn't nitro-safe, though they've recently changed the formula and now it is.

Just for grins a while back I tried a product called Lizard Spit that was a two-step thing, very highly touted by Sweetwater. It left visible haze on the surface no matter what I did. I'm pretty good with polishes going back to my show car days. I won't use that stuff again.

Fortunately, a few seconds of hand polishing the same spot with Virtuoso completely restored the finish to factory-gloss. Live and learn

I found with poly finishes, the Meguiar's #7 polish (I think that's the number but I'm not sure, so don't buy it on my say-so) did a nice job and polished out without haze. But with both nitro and poly finishes, Virtuoso has been my go-to for guitars for years.

Honestly, I've tried just about everything. Virtuoso is the stuff I recommend now.

Dunlop Formula 65 and a microfiber cloth is all I use. I have been known to occasionally use naptha.

Back