McCarty differing neck sizes?

douga

I visited a local store yesterday that had a decent selection of PRS, and I asked to try some of their McCartys. The first one the guy handed me had a really thick neck. The second had a more modern neck. So...are there different types of McCartys where the neck size differs? All the specs I look at say they're a 10" radius.

Side note: coil split on the McCarty is amazing! I was only kind of thinking of getting one before, and now I definitely want one.

I visited a local store yesterday that had a decent selection of PRS, and I asked to try some of their McCartys. The first one the guy handed me had a really thick neck. The second had a more modern neck. So...are there different types of McCartys where the neck size differs? All the specs I look at say they're a 10" radius.

Side note: coil split on the McCarty is amazing! I was only kind of thinking of getting one before, and now I definitely want one.
Do you know what models you tried?

Hmmm... Well a core McCarty has a Pattern neck, and the 594 has Pattern Vintage.
Which model were you trying?

Do you know what models you tried?

I know they were both SEs, and that's about it.

EDIT:

But the neck on one of them felt like a vintage Telecaster, and I didn't think there were any PRS guitars with that particular neck shape -- kind of chunky U.

The "10-inch radius" refers to the curvature across the fingerboard. The neck carve refers to the shape of the back of the neck shaft. Older 25-inch McCarty's had Wide Fat, then Pattern necks--which are touted to be the same, but are not. The 594 comes with an asymmetrical Pattern Vintage neck carve, which IMO is fantastic. It's large without feeling large. The SE McCarty 594 has the Pattern Vintage carve also.

From the info given by @ViperDoc I might assume that they had an older McCarty. I'll be going back there in a few weeks and see if I can figure out exactly what it was.

I know they were both SEs, and that's about it.

EDIT:

But the neck on one of them felt like a vintage Telecaster, and I didn't think there were any PRS guitars with that particular neck shape -- kind of chunky U.
My core SAS and McCarty both had wide/fat necks, but the SAS definitely felt chunkier with maple neck and fretboard than the McCarty, which had a mahogany neck with a rosewood fretboard.

What kind of bridges were on them? :)

The "10-inch radius" refers to the curvature across the fingerboard. The neck carve refers to the shape of the back of the neck shaft. Older 25-inch McCarty's had Wide Fat, then Pattern necks--which are touted to be the same, but are not. The 594 comes with an asymmetrical Pattern Vintage neck carve, which IMO is fantastic. It's large without feeling large. The SE McCarty 594 has the Pattern Vintage carve also.

I’m a fan of a fatter “rear radius”;)

Back