Couple of old McCarty question (screws and wiring).

StSpider

I've got a couple of question regarding my 2003 McCarty (bought earlier this year).

First off, the screw holding the truss rod cover is not original, I think it's a Gibson one. I wouldn't mind if not for the fact that it doesn't hold down the cover right and it wobbles around. I've tried looking for the right screw on John Mann's website but I can't find the loose screws and also I can't figure out if the screws are included if I buy a replacement McCarty truss rod cover (website doesn't say).

Second question regards wiring. My McCarty doesn't have a treble bleed circuit unlike my other PRS guitars. I think it cleans up just fine - especially when splitting pickups - but I've heard that newer McCarty generations have adopted the 50's style wiring of the volume and tone pots, as opposed to the "modern" one my McCarty should have. I have 50s wiring on all my Gibsons and I really like it.

All solder is untouched on my McC so I'm kind of hesitant to mess with it but I'd like to hear opinions of those who converted the wiring to 50s style on first generation McCartys and how they liked it. I'm afraid it might even be too trebly especially when the pickups are split.

Thanks!

What I hear with 50's wiring is as the guitar's volume is turned down the treble doesn't get as wooly and dull as with "modern" wiring.

Some people hear that as sounding a little thinner. Maybe slightly less bass. Maybe brighter.

All five of my Bernie Marsdens have the tone pot connected after the volume pot so that the signal from the pickups pass through the volume pots and then the tone control is connected to the output jack! last thing in the chain.

No one can tell you which you will prefer. But you'll probably like the sound and feel of one way better than the other.

Back