Wiring Question

nussbajh

So this is how I change away from “New Member”
I’m considering an update to some wiring in one of my guitars. I like the McCarty toggle/tone/volume setup and am thinking about buying the drop in wiring from PRS. They have two options, and lack enough description on how they differ. Anyone able to explain it in layman’s terms for me? Here are the two links:

McCarty Single Conductor

McCarty Multi Conductor

Guess I don’t understand what a single conductor would do for me vs a multi conductor.

Thanks for your help

I honestly have no idea. I saw the push pull on both, and couldn’t think of anything else.

I've wondered this exact thing, and I still haven't figured it out. Good thing all my "grand schemes" of buying a certain guitar and replacing all its guts has never come to fruition.

I believe the difference is to work with the different lead configuration of older/newer PRS pickups. For example, the 57/08 has had a 3-conductor model and a 4-conductor type.

Last edited:
I believe the difference is to work with the different lead configuration of older/newer PRS pickups. For example, the 57/08 has had a 3-conductor model and a 4-conductor type.

Both types of pickups still only use one wire for the tap.

The top one is single conductor, with a tap (white wire). Negative and shield are tied together via the braided wire. Positive is the black wire.

The bottom one is multi conductor. Red tap wire. Bare shield wire. Black and white are reversible for positive and negative.

Back