PRS pickup 4 conductor wiring diagram help

Jbyrd78

Guy's help me out please.
A couple of weeks ago I purchased a 2000 PRS Singlecut with the stock 2 conductor PRS #7 pickups. I also purchased a PRS \m/ pickup that I want to install in the bridge position on this guitar. The last set of \m/ pickups I purchased last year were 3 conductor wire pickups And I didn't have any issues installing them in another guitar. I noticed on the \m/ pickup I recently purchased that it is a gray 4 conductor pickup. The wires are black, red, white, & green along with a braided ground. I tried wiring this pickup into the guitar using the diagrams I found on the PRS site, and I'm not having any luck.The closest I got to this pickup being wired correctly still gives me the Peter Green "out of phase" tone in the 2nd postion. I just wanted to know, if someone could drop me the email to get help from PRS, or explain to me how to properly wire this pickup into the guitar so that it will be properly "in phase" with the neck pickup while the switch is in the 2nd position?

Last edited:
You need to determine if one pickup is out of phase magnetically with the other. They should both have the same magnetic polarity but that's not how PRS always does it because of their fancy multi-option pickup switches and what not.

If you have an extra pickup not in a guitar (could even be a Strat pickup) hold its magnetic poles against the screw poles of each of your pickups one at a time.

Or if one of your new pickups is out of the guitar place its poles face to face with the other and see if the pickups attract or repel. They should repel.

It should not be attracted to one but repeled by the other.

If it is magnetically out of phase you can either take the pickup apart, slide the magnet out and roll the magnet over ((like rolling over in bed) or spin it around 180 degrees.

Or more easily, you can reverse the hot lead and ground on one pickup only.

Not knowing your color codes, I can't tell you the colors.

If the hot lead is white on one it might need to be black on the other.

You'll also have to connect what was the hot lead on one to ground instead. and use the colored wire that had been going to ground as your hot lead.

Good luck. Took me a several days to figure out what was wrong with my 57/08 set.

And i was plenty POed for a while. There was no information whatsoever included with a $350 set of new pickups.

But that was it.

Last edited:
You need to determine if the one pickup is out of phase magnetically with the other. They should both have the same magnetic polarity. If you have an extra pickup not in a guitar (could even be a Strat pickup) hold it's magnetic poles against the screw poles of each of your pickups one at a time.

It should either ATTRACT or be REPELED by both pickups.

It should not be attracted to one but repeled by the other.

If it is magnetically out of phase you can either take the pickup apart, slide the magnet out and roll the magnet over ((like rolling over in bed) or spin it around 180 degrees.

Or more easily, you can reverse the hot heads on one pickup only.

Not knowing your color codes, I can't tell you the colors.

If the hot lead is white on one it might be black on the other.

You'll also have to connect what was the hot lead on one to ground instead. and use the colored wire that had going to ground as your hot lead.

Good luck. Took me a several days to figure out what was wrong with my 57/08 set.

And i was plenty POed for a while that there was no information whatsoever included with a $350 set of new pickups.

But that was it.
I tested both pickups last night with a polarity magnet and they are magnetic wise in phase. From what I figured out, the black wire is hot. I used the Tremonti wiring diagram and it is as follows:
Black: Hot
White: Ground
Red & Green: wire together
Shield Ground : Ground

I tested both pickups last night with a polarity magnet and they are magnetic wise in phase. From what I figured out, the black wire is hot. I used the Tremonti wiring diagram and it is as follows:
Black: Hot
White: Ground
Red & Green: wire together
Shield Ground : Ground
Good luck! I shared all I know...

Good luck! I shared all I know...
Sorry, I just looked at your post again. So if standard wiring is:
Black(hot)
Red & Green(tape together)
White(ground)
Bare(ground)

The new configuration needs to be:
White(hot)
Black(ground)
Bare(ground)

Am I understanding that correctly?

Sorry, I just looked at your post again. So if standard wiring is:
Black(hot)
White(ground)
Bare(ground)

The new configuration needs to be:
White(hot)
Black(ground)
Bare(ground)

Am I understanding that correctly?
If your pickups are magnetically out of phase, as were the new set of 57/08 pickups I just put in my Bernie Marsden, and if the color codes are the same, then YES.

That would be how you would put two magnetically out of phase pickups in phase without flipping the magnet in one pickup.

If your pickups are magnetically out of phase, as were the new set of 57/08 pickups I just put in my Bernie Marsden, and if the color codes are the same, then YES.

That would be how you would put two magnetically out of phase pickups in phase.
Ok. When I used my magnetic polarity tester, to check the pickups, both the inner coils on the neck & bridge pickup read south on the tester.

Ok. When I used my magnetic polarity tester, to check the pickups, both the inner coils on the neck & bridge pickup read south on the tester.
The two slug coils are SOUTH? Then the two pickups are magnetically IN PHASE already.

You'll find that the screw coil in both pickups will be NORTH polarity.

The two slug coils are SOUTH? Then the two pickups are magnetically IN PHASE already.

You'll find that the screw coil in both pickups will be NORTH polarity.
Correct, it reads south on the coil slugs. So I just need to use the white wire for hot, and the black wire for ground then? Something else I just thought of. Should I be taping the red & green together, or is the green possibly another ground? I emailed PRS yesterday asking for help, but I still have not heard back.

Correct, it reads south on the coil slugs. So I just need to use the white wire for hot, and the black wire for ground then? Something else I just thought of. Should I be taping the red & green together, or is the green possibly another ground? I emailed PRS yesterday asking for help, but I still have not heard back.
If you want to reverse the phase, yes. That's what i had to do with my pickups.

Mine have only a single wire for coil splitting. Not two wires.

If you want to reverse the phase, yes. That's what i had to do with my pickups.

Mine have only a single wire for coil splitting. Not two wires.
Just wanted to let you know, I ended up emailing PTC. They got back to me within 15mins with as follows:

"The wire colors for the Metal bridge pickup will be as follows:

Treble (bridge):
white wire = hot (wire to switch)
black & red = coil-tap (solder together)
green = ground (wire to back of pot)
shield = chassis ground (wire to back of pot)"

Everything now sounds great like it should.
So it's Saul Goodman! I appreciate all your help.

Back