PRS Special Semi-Hollow

muzicgirl7

31640151-prs-wood-library-special-22-semi-hollow-artist-quilt-top-electric-guitar-aquableux-purple-burst
31640151-prs-wood-library-special-22-semi-hollow-artist-quilt-top-electric-guitar-aquableux-purple-burst
Good day all,

Just pulled the trigger on a 2019 SSH. Does anyone have any idea how many of these were actually produced? I know they are considered "limited". Sorry if this has been addressed before. I did try to search for this, but to no avail. Pics to follow when it arrives!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! I don't have any idea how many SSH were produced, but they sure are nice! I wouldn't mind adding one to my collection! (if only they came with a piezo option!).
Looking forward to pictures.

Congrats on your SSH. PRS doesn't release model production numbers. Could be almost any number. The SSH was Limited only in the order window. So, if the window was May - August, they would make as many as it took to fill the orders they got in that time period. Some small Ltd runs, like the Dirty 100, DC-22, West St. Ltd, etc were limited to a set number of pieces (100, 300, etc).

At any rate, enjoy that guitar. The SSH is an awesome guitar.

I figure it this way:

Every guitar made of wood is unique, regardless of how many were made. Each one has a slightly different tone signature. And the hand sanding and build process also gives each PRS a subtly different feel. They even look different from one another.

Therefore, on a micro level, your guitar is a production run of one.

This isn’t sour grapes, or some rationalization for not getting a limited run. I feel that way about all of my PRSes, three of which were offered in limited runs, two of which were limited to 60 guitars.

The whole “rarity” guitar thing is a feel-good game. It doesn’t affect the guitar itself, and in general, it’s way too soon to know how PRSes will be valued down the road. I’m pretty sure if I sold one of my “run of 60” private stock models, it wouldn’t fetch a nickel more than other private stocks that are one-offs.

Others may disagree.

Good day all,

Just pulled the trigger on a 2019 SSH. Does anyone have any idea how many of these were actually produced? I know they are considered "limited". Sorry if this has been addressed before. I did try to search for this, but to no avail. Pics to follow when it arrives!

Thanks!
Excellent! I love my SSH - and I got mine at Experience 2018 - there is a slim possibility I was the first "regular customer" person to actually buy one, because I snagged it within minutes of the doors opening.

As others have noted, the limitation was in ordering period, not an actual fixed quantity. And based on the large numbers I have seen for sale, there was a very large number ordered!

So post a few more times, and you should have enough posts to show us some photos! Remember you have to use a third party site like Imgur to host the photos, and you just link to them here.

Excellent! I love my SSH - and I got mine at Experience 2018 - there is a slim possibility I was the first "regular customer" person to actually buy one, because I snagged it within minutes of the doors opening.

Also because he shoved that old guy in the wheelchair past the dealer's table so he could be first.

I don't know if PRS actually released how many Special Semi-Hollows were made and how 'limited' it actually is. It was Limited Edition in that it was only made for a limited time and cannot be ordered now and not limited edition in the sense that they planned to make a set number - like 500 Nebula Silver Skys, 135 Dragons etc. Its much like their 35th Anniversary Custom 24 for example which will be made for this year.

I don't know what quantities were made and the breakdown of the percentage of each models they were making - whether they made more/less SSH's compared to other Core models. With the popularity of models like the Custom 24 or 594 for example, I expect they didn't cut back on making these to make SSH's but they certainly made a fair few... Never saw a Fire Red one in the UK though.

I love my Special Semi-Hollow and have said quite a few times that I think its aptly named. Whilst I wasn't able to get one in my preferred colour choice, I can't say I am disappointed with the one I did get. For a regular core - not a 10-top (or above), I think I got an incredible looking top on mine...

MNZdo85.jpg

Its a bit on the 'heavy' side compared to many others I saw - not that its heavy at 7.5lbs and it plays beautifully - like all PRS guitars. It sounds killer too and a very versatile instrument with a lot of tonal options - all very usable.

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from yours and I look forward to seeing Pics when you can share them...

Also because he shoved that old guy in the wheelchair past the dealer's table so he could be first.
Lol!

It was mostly serendipity. I was planning on checking out Brian's Guitars, having been a past customer, and they were well positioned to walk past early on. I saw the SSH model in a variety of finishes, but as soon as my eye caught the Burnt Mapleleaf of that guitar, I knew it was going to be mine. I looked around for another minute or two (at least it felt like that, it was such a headrush feeling, could have been 15 or 20 min for all I know), and just came straight back to it.

Strange thing is, I had completely predicted that a SH SC594 would be my procurement at Experience if one was released, it was my "gotta have that next" guitar, but none of them spoke to me the way that SSH did.

Picked mine up this morning ( 300 mile round trip ) - Charcoal burst 10-top. Looks amazing. Can someone let me know how to post a picture ?

Thanks. I’ll give it a go. The SSH is currently nuzzling-up next to the Vintage Sunburst ( I eventually found out ) CE24 I bought last weekend. I am now seriously broke, and a little unpopular.

It has a great sound.

I’m curious to know how you can still buy these new when they don’t make them any more. The dealer only recently got it in.

It’s called “backlog” in a good way, due to PRS gaining a larger share of the musical instrument market and them still being a relatively low producer (again in a good way) even though they are part of the “big three”!

I like to think that them making fab guitars and maintaining consistent QC has something to do with this.

But you make your own mind up.

It has a great sound.

I’m curious to know how you can still buy these new when they don’t make them any more. The dealer only recently got it in.
It was a Limited model from Experience 2018. The order window was several months long, and not limited to a set number of guitars. Lots of them still rolling into dealers

Back