PRS Special Semi-Hollow

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else ever seen one of these in this exact colour? I have seen similar, but this has no light coloured band around the edge of the body, it’s just black. The headstock and the fret board are also stained black, not the natural wood colour. Doesn’t say it’s a special order on the PRS tag, so I assume it’s a standard colour. It is a 10 top but I wouldn’t expect that to make a difference.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else ever seen one of these in this exact colour? I have seen similar, but this has no light coloured band around the edge of the body, it’s just black. The headstock and the fret board are also stained black, not the natural wood colour. Doesn’t say it’s a special order on the PRS tag, so I assume it’s a standard colour. It is a 10 top but I wouldn’t expect that to make a difference.

Not having the faux maple binding isn't uncommon. PRS describes this as a 'wrap' so in yours, it would be a Charcoal Burst Wrap. Some colours Like Black Gold for example, often come in a wrap - although you can find them with the Faux binding. It makes sense to wrap the black to the back of the body and neck to keep the colours from clashing too. It wouldn't look right with say a 'red' mahogany back and with no faux binding, the Burst would look odd cutting off at some point around the edge so it 'wraps' around the back too.

This is what the dealer details were ( they could always be wrong, the details on my CE24 were wrong ).

PRS Special 22 Semi Hollow Charcoal Burst 10 Top
Construction: Hollow Body
Top Wood: Figured Maple
Back Wood: Mahogany
Number of Frets: 22
Scale Length: 25"
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Neck Shape: Pattern
Fretboard Wood: Rosewood
Fretboard Inlay: Birds
Fretboard Radius: 10"
Bridge: PRS Patented Gen III Tremolo
Tuners: PRS Phase III Locking Tuners
Hardware Type: Nickel
Treble Pickup: 58/15 MT Treble
Middle Pickup: Narrowfield
Bass Pickup: 58/15 MT Bass
Controls: Volume and Tone Controls w/ 5-Way Blade Pickup Switch & 2 Mini-Toggles

incidentally, other 10 tops look like they say they are 10 tops on the PRS tag. Mine doesn’t but it does have the 10 on the back above the serial number.

I don't know if PRS actually released how many Special Semi-Hollows were made and how 'limited' it actually is. It was Limited Edition in that it was only made for a limited time and cannot be ordered now and not limited edition in the sense that they planned to make a set number - like 500 Nebula Silver Skys, 135 Dragons etc. Its much like their 35th Anniversary Custom 24 for example which will be made for this year.

I don't know what quantities were made and the breakdown of the percentage of each models they were making - whether they made more/less SSH's compared to other Core models. With the popularity of models like the Custom 24 or 594 for example, I expect they didn't cut back on making these to make SSH's but they certainly made a fair few... Never saw a Fire Red one in the UK though.

I love my Special Semi-Hollow and have said quite a few times that I think its aptly named. Whilst I wasn't able to get one in my preferred colour choice, I can't say I am disappointed with the one I did get. For a regular core - not a 10-top (or above), I think I got an incredible looking top on mine...

MNZdo85.jpg

Its a bit on the 'heavy' side compared to many others I saw - not that its heavy at 7.5lbs and it plays beautifully - like all PRS guitars. It sounds killer too and a very versatile instrument with a lot of tonal options - all very usable.

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from yours and I look forward to seeing Pics when you can share them...

I don't know if PRS actually released how many Special Semi-Hollows were made and how 'limited' it actually is. It was Limited Edition in that it was only made for a limited time and cannot be ordered now and not limited edition in the sense that they planned to make a set number - like 500 Nebula Silver Skys, 135 Dragons etc. Its much like their 35th Anniversary Custom 24 for example which will be made for this year.

I don't know what quantities were made and the breakdown of the percentage of each models they were making - whether they made more/less SSH's compared to other Core models. With the popularity of models like the Custom 24 or 594 for example, I expect they didn't cut back on making these to make SSH's but they certainly made a fair few... Never saw a Fire Red one in the UK though.

I love my Special Semi-Hollow and have said quite a few times that I think its aptly named. Whilst I wasn't able to get one in my preferred colour choice, I can't say I am disappointed with the one I did get. For a regular core - not a 10-top (or above), I think I got an incredible looking top on mine...

This is beautiful!!!
MNZdo85.jpg

Its a bit on the 'heavy' side compared to many others I saw - not that its heavy at 7.5lbs and it plays beautifully - like all PRS guitars. It sounds killer too and a very versatile instrument with a lot of tonal options - all very usable.

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from yours and I look forward to seeing Pics when you can share them...

Anyone know how to find the modcat code without taking the guitar to bits ? I’ve been told that it’s on a sticker on the case. The sticker on the case has the serial number and a bar code and not much else. I’ve tried scanning the barcode with my phone but it doesn’t give me anything that looks like a modcat code.

Alnus, i think you may be right about the ebony fret board. Its definitely noticeably darker than my CE24, and seems “Matt”. I notice the dealer specs say “upgraded woods”, which i took for just the 10-top, but it may mean the ebony too. I know in the grand scheme if things none of this makes any difference, but I do like to know all the details. After, it cost me more than some cars I’ve bought !

Ok, well It turns out the best way to get info on the guitar is to ignore all the modcat stuff and just email PRS customer service.

Turns out it does have an Ebony fretboard, which putting it next to my CE24 is actually quite frigging obvious.

Last edited:
Back