PRS SE vs PRS S2 Standard

Kdogg788

So, I'm thinking of buying another guitar this fall and hoping to scope out the deals on Black Friday. I don't want to get up into CE and core money territory so I have been looking at S2s. Earlier this year, I picked up an SE Custom 24 from Moore Guitars and I love it. It has the 85/15S pickups and to me, they sound plenty good enough. What real differences are between the SE Custom and the S2 Standards given they have for the most part, the same components? To my ear at least, the 85/15S and 85/15 pickups sound almost identical if you are going to mention S2 Custom.

Overall, I will have a little over $1100 to play with, which is not bad considering that I've bought two other guitars this year among others things, plus all the home renovation we have done in the past 3 to 4 months or so. It might be a heretical statement around here, but I am open to other brands and types of guitars. There are other things that I want, mainly in the effects department, and another consideration of mine will be to determine how much I want to spend on the guitar vs. how much I want left over for other things such as pedals and Japanese block prints.

I will look into all the upcoming sales and see what is best and what the best deals are. Also looking at Custom 22 and the semi hollows in the SE range.

-k

I've done a ton of looking and I haven't seen a core model for that cheap. I've seen CEs as low as the 1200 to 1300 range though, but you really have to look close because some of them are chipped up.

-k

I'm definitely keeping that in mind. The guy with the second guitar also has a green CE that I wishlisted, but it's still a touch more than what I'd want to spend.

The main question though, is, Is there really any difference between the SE Customs and the S2 Standards given they have almost identical hardware?

-k

The main question though, is, Is there really any difference between the SE Customs and the S2 Standards given they have almost identical hardware?

-k

I mean, yeah there are some major differences between them, most notably in the finish, wood quality, frets, and playability. They feel a little more upscale, and if you’re looking at trem models, I’d seriously consider them over an SE, especially at used prices.

However, the price-performance ratio of the SE Standards are just ridiculous. It’s a whole lot of guitar for $500 IMO.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. There are some nice S2s at some local stores, but I will have to completely fall in love with one or get a super awesome deal to choose them over the SEs. For me, the finish might be the biggest difference, however, most S2s have relatively plain finishes with the exception of the metallic ones, and even those are coming down into the SE range. My SE Custom 24 in Sapphire looks pretty damn good I think, even if it is a veneer and not a true maple cap. I'm going to scout the sales and give the SE Semi hollows and others a serious look.

-k

I bought an awesome 2009 Core Starla in near mint condition under your budget about a month ago.

Because it was my first love, my S2 Standard is still my #1...but this Starla is sweeeeeet!

I owned an SE before and an S2 now. I couldn't gel with the SE but the S2 is just nicer by a lot! I would get an S2 if I were in your shoes.

Here's my baby:

I still don't yet own a Core (or better), but I do have 5 SEs and 3 S2s. All but one of my SEs are models that were never offered in the S2 line. (I'm still waiting for an S2 with Soapbars).

For me, the SEs are solid and feel fantastic. But the wood on the S2 line seems more resonant to me -- more alive (which is pretty good for dead trees). There are no neck carve choices in the S2 line, so if you like one, you'll like them all. It you don't like it, don't bother with the S2s.

My next PRS on order is an SE Hollowbody Standard (ETA is about a week). If they offered it as an S2, I guess I'd favor that. Since they don't, an SE is fine with me.

(I think I lost the thread of what I was trying to get across -- other than I haven't stumbled across a bad PRS regardless of where it was made. If you like it and can afford it, you can't go wrong) ;)

Back