PRS SE Soapbar II and PRS SE Custom Semi Hollow w/Soapbars

bulletmc

Hello There. New/learning guitarist at 49 years old here. I recently saw within days of each other and purchased a SE Soapbar II and a SE Custom Semi Hollow with soapbars. Both are Excellent to Mint shape. What might I expect for tone differences? Are the differences negligible? Is one or the other better suited to specific types of music? Not sure if I will keep just one or both, but wanted to seek some thoughts from experienced folks. Please advise...

Regards ~ Bob

Last edited:
Hi Bob - welcome to the forum. I at one time owned an SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar, and an SE One (korina singlecut with one bridge P90). I suspect I heard a much more drastic tone difference than you will between those two, but I think the semi-hollowness brings out the roundness of the bridge pickup a bit more, and tames the guitar (in a not undesirable way) a bit.

Pics or they're Teiscos ;)

Here they are....

URL=http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/bulletmc/media/20151111_190404_resized.jpg.html]
20151111_190404_resized.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I have the one on the left. However, I can't compare because I don't have the one on the right! Still I would expect that the Semi-hollow will sound a bit more "Jazz like", maybe a little 335ish. The Soapy 2 will be more aggressive and rockin. But play them both long enough to see which suits you more.

Bob, Remember you can raise or lower both the pickups and the polepieces to get more difference between them in sound. I say keep them both and find the differences sonically, then you can justify the next one.

Back