PRS SE Hollowbody 2 with Piezo - Attenuation Control for Piezo?

ShawnF1222

New guitar to me and I am still learning the capabilities of this guitar. Is there an attenuation control for the piezo or just the volume knob? I was hoping to use the mix output but the piezo is wicked hot. If I could tame it, I could potentially dial in a mix. Still may be a way, but figure that if someone here owns one and has been through this already, I could, learn from you. :)

Congrats it is an amazing guitar, and welcome!

If you slide out the electronic/jack plate assembly there is a small phillips head adjustment for the piezo.

I had to turn mine down too!

THANK YOU!

Before I posted this question here, I took out the battery box and didn't find any adjustments. PRS web site said that there was one for each string. I couldn't find ANYTHING in there to adjust. So it's the 1/4" plug on area? There's 4 screws there, is that correct? I appreciate the help, thanks again.

THANK YOU!

Before I posted this question here, I took out the battery box and didn't find any adjustments. PRS web site said that there was one for each string. I couldn't find ANYTHING in there to adjust. So it's the 1/4" plug on area? There's 4 screws there, is that correct? I appreciate the help, thanks again.
I believe it's inside the battery cavity, no need to unscrew the jackplate.

And the SE has just one overall adjustment screw. It's the Core Models that offer individual string adjustments

Just wanted to circle back. The attenuator is on the same circuit board as the output jacks. I thought I had it set but apparently it's too low now. I'll have to go back. Not sure how to post an image here - it's on my computer and not online (URL).

Also those magnetic pickups seem little muddy. The bridge pick up was a bit close so I lowered it a tad. Can the 6 screws on the pickup be turned and adjusted? I tried one and it didn't move and I didn't want to force not and take a chance.

I had the similar issues with mine. Piezo too loud and slight distortion, mags not enough definition. I turned down the piezo on the board and dropped both the pups quite some way, both by measurement and sound. I haven’t adjusted the pole pieces.
I run two cables, mags to amp and piezo to PA so I can control the volume separately.

I had the similar issues with mine. Piezo too loud and slight distortion, mags not enough definition. I turned down the piezo on the board and dropped both the pups quite some way, both by measurement and sound. I haven’t adjusted the pole pieces.
I run two cables, mags to amp and piezo to PA so I can control the volume separately.

Exactly my situation to the tee. I'll be tweaking until...

Was really hoping to use the combined output bc I go thru an amp/cab/effect sim to FOH.

Thanks for weighing in!

Mine isn't the Hollowbody II but the newer Hollowbody Standard (Doghair), same electrics as far as I can tell.
Have gone through a lot of 9volts since I got it in February, and attenuator was cranked up from the factory, fitting comments above---
At this point Ive compared it to a Hollowbody II barrowed from a friend. His piezo came set just right. Over-all his guitar sounds a little better than mine, though Ive noticed on both that the humbuckers dont sound as full when plugged in the MAG jack.
Why do the humbuckers sound better plugged into the MIX jack?
One last thing thing, a real bummer--was strumming away and had the battery [fall] out the bottom, busting off one of the contact wires! Happily [no one saw ] and happily I'm handy with soldering, and got it repaired---but as I'm working on it the other lead comes off the battery cradle. Absolute garbage soldering from the factory and why did the battery drop out??---it does click in with a noticable click----maybe all those battery changes have weakened the living-hinge?

Last edited:
Your set up must be faulty. I’ve had my HB2 Piezo for nearly a year, practice most days and gig it regularly. I’m on my second battery, and I only changed the first as a precaution. Always unplug if not in use.
There is a difference between the mags through the mix output as they will be affected by the piezo pre amp running into the same socket (I think).

Thanks for the reply, Oscar
"Your set up must be faulty. I’ve had my HB2 Piezo for nearly a year, practice most days and gig it regularly. I’m on my second battery, and I only changed the first as a precaution. "
-ya, something was definitely wrong from PRS--how could they send out my guitar & others I gather from posts here---with that piezo cranked to 11 and no adjustment unless you dig through the internet & the the guts of the guitar? That plastic screw on the board is tedious to access and adjust to put it nicely.

"Always unplug if not in use."

--Definitely! However removing the battery like some people are doing every time is a total pain. shouldlnt be any need to do that.
(The battery life seems to have improved after cutting the output level) wish me luck
'There is a difference between the mags through the mix output as they will be affected by the piezo pre amp running into the same socket (I think).'

-agreed ---really unexpected and not ideal

Just wanted to add that while my piezo pickups are also hot, when I switch to the acoustic mode on my Katana 50, the piezo's are at perfect volume. It's only on the electric channels, that I need to lower the output to about 50%. For this reason, I'm not lowering the max output on the circuit board.

Over-all his guitar sounds a little better than mine, though Ive noticed on both that the humbuckers dont sound as full when plugged in the MAG jack.
Why do the humbuckers sound better plugged into the MIX jack?
I too noticed the sound of the magnetics was different from both outputs. Then i tried playing trough the MIX jack with both volume knobs set to 0% and noticed there was still significant output from the piezo pickups. So it might be you just hear the humbuckers with a bit of piezo blended in.

Back