Prs se 22 semi vs ibanez as73

Sepehr

Hey guys! Which of these guitars would u prefer And why ?! And whats the difference in playability / overall quality / tone between them ?

I've never played a PRS SE 22 semi. I know the Ibanez Artcore models punch way above their weight, but then in my limited experience, so does the PRS SE line. Based on price, I'd say that PRS is more directly comparable to the Ibanez AS93 or AS153. Both of those Ibanez models have ebony fretboards and Super 58 pickups. The AS153 has more finishing touches on it and has a three way switch that allows you to configure the neck pickup coils in various different ways - the AS93 doesn't. The AS73 is a downgrade from the AS93 in that it has a rosewood fretboard and classic elite pickups were aren't bad, but are considered a downgrade from the Super 58s.

A big question has to be whether you want a tremolo or not - the PRS has one and the Ibanez models don't. That might be enough to determine which you'd prefer. The PRS has a slightly longer scale length, but you probably wouldn't feel much difference. If you play seated with the guitar on your leg, the guitars will feel real different in that the PRS has one of the most forward (toward the headstock) leg cuts you can find and the Ibanez has one of the more rearward let cuts you can find - I just chose to go with an Ibanez Scofield JSM-10 (almost identical to the AS153) over a much higher end PRS 594 because of this issue, not an easy choice to make, but getting comfortable in my preferred playing position compelled me to do it despite loving the 594. If you play standing, this should be a non-issue (and the PRS's lighter weight probably becomes a real advantage then), but for seated playing, it's worth getting a feel for both.

I'd really recommend playing them both if there's ANY way you possibly can. IMHO, PRS's and Ibanez's Artcore/Artstar models feel very different and it would be easy to have a personal preference for either one. But it would be tough to know without playing both. They're both great quality instruments for the money, although again I'd compare the PRS against the more similarly priced Ibanez models.

-Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never played a PRS SE 22 semi. I know the Ibanez Artcore models punch way above their weight, but then in my limited experience, so does the PRS SE line. Based on price, I'd say that PRS is more directly comparable to the Ibanez AS93 or AS153. Both of those Ibanez models have ebony fretboards and Super 58 pickups. The AS153 has more finishing touches on it and has a three way switch that allows you to configure the neck pickup coils in various different ways - the AS93 doesn't. The AS73 is a downgrade from the AS93 in that it has a rosewood fretboard and classic elite pickups were aren't bad, but are considered a downgrade from the Super 58s.

A big question has to be whether you want a tremolo or not - the PRS has one and the Ibanez models don't. That might be enough to determine which you'd prefer. The PRS has a slightly longer scale length, but you probably wouldn't feel much difference. If you play seated with the guitar on your leg, the guitars will feel real different in that the PRS has one of the most forward (toward the headstock) leg cuts you can find and the Ibanez has one of the more rearward let cuts you can find - I just chose to go with an Ibanez Scofield JSM-10 (almost identical to the AS153) over a much higher end PRS 594 because of this issue, not an easy choice to make, but getting comfortable in my preferred playing position compelled me to do it despite loving the 594. If you play standing, this should be a non-issue (and the PRS's lighter weight probably becomes a real advantage then), but for seated playing, it's worth getting a feel for both.

I'd really recommend playing them both if there's ANY way you possibly can. IMHO, PRS's and Ibanez's Artcore/Artstar models feel very different and it would be easy to have a personal preference for either one. But it would be tough to know without playing both. They're both great quality instruments for the money, although again I'd compare the PRS against the more similarly priced Ibanez models.

-Ray
Tns man! So ur tellin' me theres no doubt that prs se beats ibanez as73 in overall quality ?

Tns man! So ur tellin' me theres no doubt that prs se 800 bucks beats ibanez as73 400 bucks in overall quality ?
I’m not really saying that since I haven’t played that PRS. That Ibanez is an amazing guitar, but I’d say the PRS SE models I have played are a cut above and more comparable to the similarly priced Ibanez models. But the “overall quality” question doesn’t really matter when two guitars are above a threshold of “plenty good enough” for lack of a better term. Which for me the Ibanez is and I’m very sure the PRS would be.

At that point it’s down to which you like more, which one meets your needs better. I personally love the necks on Ibanez Artcore models - I’m a bit hit and miss with PRS necks, not because of “quality”, but because of feel, which is purely a personal preference thing. To be fair, I’m hit and miss with Ibanez necks too, but I know that particular line really well and know I like them. To me, the tremolo is a big deal - I don’t like ‘em so it’s something I’d have to work around rather than be a benefit. But many people love them so for them that might well be all it would take to make the PRS a no-brainer over the Ibanez.

To me, both of these guitars would be “plenty good enough” such that I wouldn’t make a decision based on “overall quality”, but on which one works better for your likes and dislikes. It’s kind of like asking which has better overall quality, a Mercedes sedan or a Ford pickup? In that case, the Mercedes obviously does but if you have more use for a pickup than a luxury sedan, it’s a meaningless distinction... Both are fine vehicles but one might well work better for you.

-Ray

I’m not really saying that since I haven’t played that PRS. That Ibanez is an amazing guitar, but I’d say the PRS SE models I have played are a cut above and more comparable to the similarly priced Ibanez models. But the “overall quality” question doesn’t really matter when two guitars are above a threshold of “plenty good enough” for lack of a better term. Which for me the Ibanez is and I’m very sure the PRS would be.

At that point it’s down to which you like more, which one meets your needs better. I personally love the necks on Ibanez Artcore models - I’m a bit hit and miss with PRS necks, not because of “quality”, but because of feel, which is purely a personal preference thing. To be fair, I’m hit and miss with Ibanez necks too, but I know that particular line really well and know I like them. To me, the tremolo is a big deal - I don’t like ‘em so it’s something I’d have to work around rather than be a benefit. But many people love them so for them that might well be all it would take to make the PRS a no-brainer over the Ibanez.

To me, both of these guitars would be “plenty good enough” such that I wouldn’t make a decision based on “overall quality”, but on which one works better for your likes and dislikes. It’s kind of like asking which has better overall quality, a Mercedes sedan or a Ford pickup? In that case, the Mercedes obviously does but if you have more use for a pickup than a luxury sedan, it’s a meaningless distinction... Both are fine vehicles but one might well work better for you.

-Ray
Tnx man you really helped me in this case ❤

I have a SE Custom 22 SH and I love the body and the neck. Low action, thin neck, light weight, and not ultra-wide like a lot of hollow and semi-hollow bodies. I am not at all in love with the pickups, but mine is a somewhat-indeterminant older model (created a thread here to try to figure that out). If my guitar has the 85/15S pups, I'd be hesitant to recommend the current model. If mine has the older SE pickups, then I don't have much to say about the tone.

If you're not interested in the trem, you might also consider the Zac Myers PRS SE. I've had one of those for a year or so and I'm totally in love. The neck profile is thicker, more like the Epiphone LPs I've played, but it feels great and the 245 SE pickups sound good in my setup.

I have a 2018 SE Semi Trem and really dig it, you get a great variety of sounds with the 85/15s and the coil split is very good. Rolling of the tone knob gives some deep tones not expected from a thin body semi hollow. I previously owned an A73 and liked it, but ultimately found that I could replicate similar tones with other guitars I had so it don'td make the long term cut. Just one dudes opinion but the SE Semi is a keeper. Good luck!

Long story short:

Had an AS73, liked the tone and feel a lot, sold it to find future PRS semi hollows. Probably should not have. I have an S2 Custom 22 semi (very similar to the SE version), and I LOVE it, but it's a different thing. The Ibanez was a blues and vintage rock machine, all the tones we know and love from bigger body semi hollows, like a 335, etc. Bright but airy bridge, very sweet neck pickup. The PRS, is a PRS, sounds like the sustaining, oboe-like tones of a PRS solid body with a more open resonance and less piercing highs. I think the trem on the PRS semi 22's is a big factor. Both very, very cool, but different. I wouldn't go looking for the traditional semi hollow tones in the SE, but if you want a less aggressive twist on PRS tones, it's the one for you.

Although, as stated above, the ZM is great too, I have one and it inches closer to the big body semi's. Not totally the same, but closer.

Man you really gotta go to a store and try them out in person in that price range.

The artcore stuff does represent some of the best you can find for a given price. It's some of the only MIC stuff I'd pick over comparable korean, indonesian, etc. The only thing I have noticed is their fretwork on acoustic models left a bit to be desired but they might have rectified that. In fact I have an old v72 cutaway as a grab and go guitar by my door, I have noodled on it every day for nearly 9 years since I bought it and it's dead straight and nothing has gone wrong. The truss rods are solid, the necks are reliable. I needed to dress the frets pretty bad when i bought it though

I'd say the SE just because every SE I have played has been excellent and the resale is probably pretty decent. But do go to a store and try all the examples you can, it will probably come down to personal preference. They aren't exactly similar guitars after all. They will most certainly feel different beasts in your lap

Back