Prs s2 custom 24.

Robert0253

Should I leave 10s on this guitar or go with 9s. How much adjustment is needed if I use 9s. My other tremolo style guitar needed no adjustments at all. It has a Floyd rose on it.

What do you like the feel of?

I personally play 10s b/c I have since I had some F's as a kid that always snapped 9s when I bent. So I'm used to them.

Going down to 9s might require a little setup love, but the good news is no nut work.

The 10s feel pretty good. I have 9s on the LP and Custom shop HP and the prs with 10s feels about like they do, however the 9s on the schecter c1 custom with the Floyd seem extremely light since I been playing the prs. Was thinking of going back to 10s on it, instead of changing the prs since I've not messed with a prs tremolo system. I'm sure it would not be difficult was just wondering if there was a big difference in adjusting the prs tremolo system.

When I went to 9s from 10s took out a spring and Loosened the screws about a half turn. Perfect

I went to 10's from 9's on my S2. Just a truss adjust and an adjustment on the trem spring claw. Nut is fine. Nuts are usually good for one size up or down. 2 sizes and then you need to figure a new nut.

String gauge is entirely subjective. Should you go to 9's? Well what do you like more? I prefer 9s because they are more lively, more responsive to subtle stuff, have a bit more bite, the higher strings sing and sustain more, etc etc etc. Lots of pros to 9 gauge strings.

It's always a trade off: lighter strings=easy playability
heavier strings=better tone
There's no getting around that one, it's just going to boil down to what is a higher priority to you.

As far as change in string gauge, I've never been able to switch gauge and not have to redo the setup. Not just the trem springs, but the intonation, neck & action also.

It's always a trade off: lighter strings=easy playability
heavier strings=better tone
There's no getting around that one, it's just going to boil down to what is a higher priority to you.

As far as change in string gauge, I've never been able to switch gauge and not have to redo the setup. Not just the trem springs, but the intonation, neck & action also.

oh geez... heavier strings = different tone. "Better" is entirely subjective. Some of the best tones ever put to record were done with light gauge strings.

I hate to break this to folks, but tone is as much about technique as anything else. The most famous EVH tones were with 9's. Tony Iommi used 9's. Yngwie still uses an 8 for his high E.

oh geez... heavier strings = different tone. "Better" is entirely subjective. Some of the best tones ever put to record were done with light gauge strings.

I hate to break this to folks, but tone is as much about technique as anything else. The most famous EVH tones were with 9's. Tony Iommi used 9's. Yngwie still uses an 8 for his high E.

Let us not forget about the Reverend Billy G and his 7's

Absolutely right in saying "technique" is huge factor, I agree completely, but I wasn't a fan of Yngwie's tone, his stellar technique made up for that. Bodia mentions ZZ top and although their songs and legacy speaks for itself, I wasn't big on his sound either. Like you said, "subjective".

Back