PRS new owner - what should I know?

englishHobbyist

As per my post in 'introduce yourself', I've just bought a Core Custom 24. Very happy with it.
Some questions as a new owner.

1. What accessories should I really be looking at? On my epiphone I used Schaller strap locks, so was thinking of putting some of them on, but I've read that the PRS standard buttons are better than most.
My strap was a cheaper nylon-and-leather one, so that's going to get an upgrade.
Anything else?

2. Keeping it healthy. Should I be performing any regular maintenance jobs on it?

3. tweaks and adjustments. I have no problems at the moment, but for future use, is there any guide to all the things that can be adjusted, and why I might choose to adjust them?

1. No required accessories. Add what makes you like the guitar more.
2. I wipe my guitar down before I put it away after playing. Takes less than a minute. A more thorough cleaning when I change strings.
3. Tweak if something doesn’t seem quite right. Maybe a seasonal truss rod tiny turn. Saddles if intonation drifts. Mostly just tune up before you play.

Have fun.

Ok, thanks for the tips. Think I've got my shopping list set.

I'll get some Schaller locks (can't transfer the old ones from the Epiphone - I can't find the original buttons, so I can't play or sell the thing without the Schallers). Anybody know what finish of Schaller will match the PRS' metalwork the best? Satin Pearl? Nickel plate?
Secondly, further to buying the PRS itself, I'm going to continue to treat myself by buying a Heistercamp strap. Black will probably suit the cherry-charcoal PRS the best.
Finally, some microfibre cloths on my wife's shopping list.

Should set me up quite nicely for a while.

Here are my care tips (btw, heistercamp straps are great):

I like to use a slightly damp microfiber cloth followed by a clean dry one. Grime and salts from your body need a surfactant between the finish and the cloth.

Avoid over-polishing. Polishes contain abrasives, and unless you know what you’re doing, do as much harm as good. However, the PRS Cleaner isn’t a polish but leaves the surface clean and nicely shined. Use polish to remove scratches, etc.

Guitars stay in better shape if cased when not being played. I could go into a lengthy explanation, or just leave it at that, so I’ll just leave it. Bob Taylor has written much about that over the years, visit their website and you can probably find something explaining why.

Strap locks are rattly, crappy things that break and make extraneous noise while recording, but have at it if you do acrobat moves onstage, or swing your guitar behind your back during songs while being lead singer. John Mayer’s tech says he uses the stock buttons, which is a pretty good recommendation.

1. What accessories should I really be looking at? On my epiphone I used Schaller strap locks, so was thinking of putting some of them on, but I've read that the PRS standard buttons are better than most.
My strap was a cheaper nylon-and-leather one, so that's going to get an upgrade.
Anything else?
Anytime someone mentions new straps I jump in here with this. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the poorest place in the United States. It tops the charts in every statistic one doesn't want to top. Poverty, unemployment, diabetes, alcoholism, etc.
Lakota Leathers provides a little bit of economic stimulus for people desperately in need. But I wouldn't ask you to purchase one just to help; "All Lakota Leathers straps are 100% guaranteed to be the softest, strongest, and most comfortable strap you will ever use." I have one on every guitar. Unbelievably comfortable.

Congratulations on the new PRS.

Here are my care tips (btw, heistercamp straps are great):

I like to use a slightly damp microfiber cloth followed by a clean dry one. Grime and salts from your body need a surfactant between the finish and the cloth.

Avoid over-polishing. Polishes contain abrasives, and unless you know what you’re doing, do as much harm as good. However, the PRS Cleaner isn’t a polish but leaves the surface clean and nicely shined. Use polish to remove scratches, etc.

Guitars stay in better shape if cased when not being played. I could go into a lengthy explanation, or just leave it at that, so I’ll just leave it. Bob Taylor has written much about that over the years, visit their website and you can probably find something explaining why.

Strap locks are rattly, crappy things that break and make extraneous noise while recording, but have at it if you do acrobat moves onstage, or swing your guitar behind your back during songs while being lead singer. John Mayer’s tech says he uses the stock buttons, which is a pretty good recommendation.
That's a lot of tips, thanks. My main reason for strap locks in the past had actually been ease of taking the strap on and off, plus peace of mind (even if the fears are erroneous). I'm unlikely to ever be in a recording situation, so any rattle isn't a big issue. Also, I've never noticed a rattle with them. Maybe because I feel much more comfortable playing standing up even when practicing, so there's always some tension in the strap so no rattle?

As for the PRS cleaner, I'll look out for it next time I'm in a shop. Is that just for the immediate look of the guitar being all shiny? Or does it help with long-term upkeep?

Lakota Leathers provides a little bit of economic stimulus for people desperately in need. But I wouldn't ask you to purchase one just to help
Nice thought, thanks, but I'm UK based. Ordered my Heistercamp today.

Ok, thanks for the tips. Think I've got my shopping list set.

I'll get some Schaller locks (can't transfer the old ones from the Epiphone - I can't find the original buttons, so I can't play or sell the thing without the Schallers). Anybody know what finish of Schaller will match the PRS' metalwork the best? Satin Pearl? Nickel plate?
Secondly, further to buying the PRS itself, I'm going to continue to treat myself by buying a Heistercamp strap. Black will probably suit the cherry-charcoal PRS the best.
Finally, some microfibre cloths on my wife's shopping list.

Should set me up quite nicely for a while.

I like the Satin Pearl on the PRS.

Back