Schaller Security Locks Guitar Strap Locks - PRS McCarty 594 SE

kurrykid

I had some Schaller Security Locks Guitar Strap Locks from a previous guitar. Tried to put them on the SE and they don't fit. The screws from the PRS are too big to fit through the holes on the strap locks. I prefer to use the same screws to make sure I don't strip anything. The smaller screws I have with the strap locks seems like they would have tightened in there but I was afraid it had different threads and there might not be any going back.

I searched through the forum before posting and didn't really come up with an answer for the 594 SE.

Any recommendations on which strap locks I should get that will fit? I prefer to stay with the Schaller.

Thank you.

I deem you have three opportunities:

1. Leave it as it is.
2. Enlarging the pin's hole to fit the organic screw.
3. Shrinking the holes in the screw holes of the guitar with wood chips, or easier, with a match, and glue to take then the Schaller screws.

I wood recommend opportunity 2.

Last edited:
I dremel the screw heads. Takes all of 1 min. They will fit fine afterwards. Now this will ONLY work for S2, CE, and Core

For the SE those screw heads are huge. But the screws are the same width as the new Schaller S locks which use an Allen set. So I’d advise buying newer style locks for SE. Keep the original screws and buttons should you chose to sell

I had some Schaller Security Locks Guitar Strap Locks from a previous guitar. Tried to put them on the SE and they don't fit. The screws from the PRS are too big to fit through the holes on the strap locks. I prefer to use the same screws to make sure I don't strip anything. The smaller screws I have with the strap locks seems like they would have tightened in there but I was afraid it had different threads and there might not be any going back.

I searched through the forum before posting and didn't really come up with an answer for the 594 SE.

Any recommendations on which strap locks I should get that will fit? I prefer to stay with the Schaller.

Thank you.
You can get 3 different size screws with Schaller strap locks, just get the size that fits. I use them all the time on most of my guitars. I prefer them because their screws bite in the holes better than anything out there.

On my SE I put D'Addario Planet Waves using the stock screws.

Last edited:
I would disagree with getting the newer Schaller S locks. The ones I have seen have much bigger screws in them than the guitars have stock. Those will open the holes in the wood up to where the stock screws will not fit in there again. I know there are three sizes to them but you really have to make sure you get ones that are the same size as the stock screws if they have them.

I have used Schaller locks for decades. I stopped buying them when they went to this new style. I like what they did to the ends that go on the strap but hate what they did to the buttons. The old style always worked with the stock screws on the PRS core models. PRS uses longer screws on the core models than other guitar manufacturers. I have changed my other guitars over to the size of screw that PRS uses on the core guitars. I bought screws the same size in stainless steel at my hardware store. They work great. Fender sells the old style locks that Schaller used to sell.

If it is the screw head that won't fit in the button, I would go to the hardware store and take the stock screw for the guitar and the Schaller button and see if they can match something up for you. If not, you can buy a screw just like the stock one then grind or file the head down on the sides a bit until it fits in the button.

I did say use the new ones ONLY on SEs which come with a much wider screws than USA counterparts.

Back