PRS Classic Strings

MrBollie

So, I got my CE24 last week and I re-strung it, since I wasn't sure how old the original strings were. i used my usual go-to-set of Fender 250R.... and the magic of the CE24 was gone. The wound strings felt totally off and I noticed a lack of overtones. Also, the Fender strings felt quite hard, like they had a higher tension. This is all really weird, as on my other guitars, the Fender work really well.

To end that nightmare, I ordered three sets of PRS Classic Strings. They arrived today and after I put them on the CE24, the initial "sensation" from the day I got that guitar was back. For some reason, the PRS strings feel softer, smoother, easier to play. And they also sound better.

There's just one issue: They're currently rather hard to get here in Germany. Same goes for other PRS stuff (like t-shirts, mugs, etc.). So here's my question: Can anyone recommend strings, that have a similar feel/tone?

I think, I can rule out Elixier, NYXL, and the signature set. My experience with those high-tech coated strings are, that they lack overtones. Pyramid, though, could be worth a try. What do you think?

Well, D'Addario makes the strings for PRS. I don't if they do something "different" to them. I use Elixir Optiwebs on all my guitars because my fingers need the coating.

Die hard D'Addario fan here...EXL110 sounds great on my PRSes. I figure they're probably the same as the PRS strings since D'Addario makes them.

I’ve been using D’addario 10-46 on my Custom 22 and Silver Sky but my GC had the PRS Classic and Signature sittings in so I bought some of both. Did not like the signature ones but the Classics sounded and felt better than the D’addario I’ve used for years. Just to be sure I cut the PRS off next day and put D’adds back on. Harsher tone, stiffer feel bending and they felt rough compared to the PRS. Cut those off after a couple hours and put on another set of PRS classics and boom the tone and feel were back. I know they are both made by same manufacturer but I noticed a big difference in the two brands. Needless to say I’m a PRS convert

Another vote for D'addario here, 10-52 specifically. I use their regular nickel wound strings and they feel and sound fantastic to me. I had to use a set of Ernie Ball strings in a pinch recently and I couldn't believe how bad they were in both feel and tone. I'm going to give the PRS classics a shot next time though just to see how they compare.

I really like the new PRS strings. Previously was using DR Pure Blues on most of my guitars, and Tite Fits on a few that sounded better with the slightly brighter sound of nickel plated steel on the wound strings. I liked the DR’s a lot, but the PRS strings slightly edged them out. The Classics, despite being nickel plated instead of pure nickel, are warmer than the Tite Fits were and sound very similar, but are a little silkier feeling to play. Plus, they’re much more affordable, big plus there. The Signature strings are cool too, maybe a little punchier on the wound strings and more output overall, and to me they start to mask the tone of the guitar just a little bit, which can be a good or bad thing.

PRS Strings are just Daddario's made to PRS spec. I would speculate that they are probably simply Dadd's wrapped in PRS packaging and marketed accordingly. I have used the same gauge Daddarios to replace all of my SE strings and felt zero difference. Don't get hung up by marketing.

I had exactly the same experience! Unbelievable. My guitar came with PRS strings. I did the first change to DR which I used exclusively in the past, and the strings felt bigger, louder, harder, etc. So I got another set of the Classic strings, and while not 'lighter' they're absolutely softer or smoother. IDK how they do it, but these strings are awesome.

So, I got my CE24 last week and I re-strung it, since I wasn't sure how old the original strings were. i used my usual go-to-set of Fender 250R.... and the magic of the CE24 was gone. The wound strings felt totally off and I noticed a lack of overtones. Also, the Fender strings felt quite hard, like they had a higher tension. This is all really weird, as on my other guitars, the Fender work really well.

To end that nightmare, I ordered three sets of PRS Classic Strings. They arrived today and after I put them on the CE24, the initial "sensation" from the day I got that guitar was back. For some reason, the PRS strings feel softer, smoother, easier to play. And they also sound better.

There's just one issue: They're currently rather hard to get here in Germany. Same goes for other PRS stuff (like t-shirts, mugs, etc.). So here's my question: Can anyone recommend strings, that have a similar feel/tone?

I think, I can rule out Elixier, NYXL, and the signature set. My experience with those high-tech coated strings are, that they lack overtones. Pyramid, though, could be worth a try. What do you think?

Back