Procedure for changing strings

Grey_Goose

Hello All. I recently picked up a pre-owned Cu24 and am going to change strings. I come from the percussion and bass world, and with respect to the latter I change one string at a time to maintain some of the tension on the neck. I do the same on my Epi Les Paul. All of the YT vids that I have seen (including the PRS vids) show guitar techs loosening the tuners and then cutting all strings and replacing them at the same time, rather than one at a time. I've got an SE 277 that I picked up earlier this year which will also be re-strung, and since this bridges a gap between bass and standard tuning I was (again) planning on the one-at-a-time procedure to maintain some neck tension. I needed to relieve the angle on that particular instrument to alleviate fret buzz, which makes me uneasy with cutting all at once. I'm a little perplexed by the all-at-once procedure. Just looking to increase my knowledge in this area; thanks!

Thanks. I'll do the all-at-once this time so that I can oil the fret boards. Will probably revert to one-at-a-time after that just to keep the whole thing consistent with the bass guitars.

I've changed the strings on my '95 Custom22 (which I bought new in '95) probably 100 times. Always do all the strings at once. Have never had to touch the truss rod.

Do Whatever You Are Most Comfortable With Doing. There Is No Issue Either Way. I Would Advise That Loosening String Tension Before Removal Is A Good Thing. If The Frets And Board Need Some Attention Then It Is Obviously Easier To Do All Strings At Once. Congrats n Your New Guitar!

The only thing to watch is if it's a trem, you need to slide something under the trem before you take all the tension off. I use a folded magazine subscription card. You can see something similar in this video (I learned it from Len).

I do one at a time unless doing the frets and board. Either way works. But if a floating trem slide something under there.

The only thing to watch is if it's a trem, you need to slide something under the trem before you take all the tension off. I use a folded magazine subscription card. You can see something similar in this video (I learned it from Len).

Totally this! I do them all at the same time. I keep a piece of string package cardboard in each case pocket to slide under the back of the bridge so when the trem springs pull the bridge back, the edge hits the cardboard instead of hagging up the finish under the bridge. I think if you do one at a time, you don't have to worry about it.

I think I just said what @alantig said.

That's redundant.

You can say that again...

(sorry, just doing my best @László imitation...)

I use a guitar rag rather than the string cardboard under the trem...helps keep swirls and light scratches down.

You can do it either way. You are correct though changing the strings one at a time goes easier on the truss rod. When I'm changing strings right before a gig I do it one at a time and tune each new string to pitch and then move down the order. This allows the guitar to stabilize faster, and makes it so you are not tuning so much between songs in that first section of a show.

However if I'm not rushing to go perform or record. I normally do it the way the PRS YouTube channel says to do it. Taking the strings all off and give the guitar a good cleaning. Everything will settle back the way it was if you kept the same gauges.

Back