PRS as first guitar?

I've been first a Strat player, then a superstrat player, and finally an S-type player (mostly my own builds) for well over forty years. Almost everything I play is done on the bridge pickup, and for some context on tones I've been most inspired by, you could listen to Eric Johnson, Jimmy Herring, Scott Henderson, Mike Landau and Wayne Krantz. Jeff Beck and Ritchie Blackmore too.

I struggle to get anything like my own best tones out of a Les Paul, and I always found the ergonomics quite a challenge in the course of a two hour+ set. I suffer from forearm rub on the bound upper edge of LPs, so I need to wear a long-sleeved shirt to defend my arm when I play the blasted things.

Even when practicing, I've always stood up - back in the day, when I was in my teens and early twenties, LPs weren't the lightest guitars (understatement!) and holding up a 10+ pound guitar for hours was another sacrifice I wasn't prepared to make.
Ah, that makes sense. I'm not quite at 2 hour sets yet. I'm just testing things out for a few minutes. I do practice on the PRS for 2 hours or so and it's fine.

In my opinion, it won't matter in the long run, especially when it comes to your technique. But I think that it may be a good idea to explore something different in the future. Strats and LPs are cool but you can try some offset guitars too - Jaguars and Jazzmasters are a completely different story :) It's awesome that you're starting with a custom 24, most guitar players start with some low-quality Chinese-made models.
I didn't know what I was doing but I have a pretty good ear, so that helped me out.

Here was my process...
q: What guitarists do I like?
a: Strat players.
q: What strats are good at a reasonable price?
a: Everyone seems to say good things about player plus Strats.

So I went to try them out. Didn't like the feel or tones of the player plus. Sounded thin and the fretboard seemed narrow compared to the acoustic I've been playing on.
They hand me a PRS SE...that feels and sounds great. And it's even cheaper than the player plus.

Went to a different store to make sure I still liked the PRS SE.
I play one, it again feels and sounds great. They hand me a standard S2 just for fun, it feels and sounds even better. More articulate, more sustain, better feel.
I try the SE again...not nearly as good as the 3 S2s I try (a standard, a 10th anniversary cu24, a McCarty 594).
After a few hours deciding between the 594 and anniversary cu24, I ended up with the anniversary.

I don't regret it at all...it's something I can grow into. And happy to say that when I just went and tried a strat again, it didn't feel so bad. So at least my improving technique is helping to be okay with different shape guitars.

I didn't know what I was doing but I have a pretty good ear, so that helped me out.

Here was my process...
I want to jump in here and offer some advice I think sometimes gets overlooked...

Why do you like strat players?

Is it because of the sound they get?

Is it because of the way they play (note choices, phrasing, dynamics, etc?)

Or both?

Understanding that these are separate avenues to pursue but are also intertwined in the experience of music may save you a lot of time and trouble as you progress.

I want to jump in here and offer some advice I think sometimes gets overlooked...

Why do you like strat players?

Is it because of the sound they get?

Is it because of the way they play (note choices, phrasing, dynamics, etc?)

Or both?

Understanding that these are separate avenues to pursue but are also intertwined in the experience of music may save you a lot of time and trouble as you progress.
It's absolutely the phrasing and not the tone, I've learned. Sometimes there are tones I'm impressed with, but much more often it's things like Mark Knopfler will sound like Mark Knopfler no matter what he's playing.

My first electric solidbody was my old Yamaha RGX pawnshop special about 25 years ago. Bought it on a whim and knew diddly squat about playing a guitar but I kept driving past it hanging in the store window for so long I just went in and bought the damn thing. Strat style, HSH config and a trem bridge so it just seemed the right thing to do. Bought a dreadnought acoustic not long afterward and gradually learned from there.
4 years ago I bought my first PRS and I sort of wish in hindsight that I'd bought it first but I knew zip about PRS when I bought the Yam. Plus as a new rookie I wouldn't have dreamed dropping that kind of coin on a guitar I didn't even know how to play. Probably the main reason I don't have either a real LP or a Fender Strat was the then extreme (to me) cost factor of such desirable instruments. Now that I have the PRS trio that I do, I have zero desire for either an actual Strat or LP for personal reasons. Having had opportunities to actually play them with a moderate level of skills, Strats just don't feel right to me, and I actually totally dislike Les Paul necks and weight. Nothing against them, they are just not right for me. My PRS's all have that special comfort I love so much. And they are light, smooth and easy to play. And of course pretty much all of us love the way they look too so.

Tbh if you get an SE model you probably won't need another guitar, depending on where you want to take your playing.
Ive played Gibsons costing thousands that are absolute jokes in terms of build qualtity.
The PRS SE line is a very good choice for a first time guitarist.

The Finish Is Always More Important Than The Start. The Good News Is You Are Starting In A Great Place! The Most Important Thing Is Findnig A Guitar That Is Comfortable To You And Inspires You To Play. Time Will Assist In You Finding Your Own Signature Tone.

It seems most people start on Strats or Les Pauls and then gravitate towards PRS later on. I'm curious since I'm starting on a custom 24 if my technique or tone expectations will end up being different than if I started on a Fender or Gibson. For instance, the Strat quack or Les Paul growliness...I'm not really coming from a place of knowing those. Anyone have an opinion on that? Or will it just not matter in the long run?

The big reason is down to two major things - the 'artist/music' that inspires them and cost. Its much easier to find a 'cheap' LP/Strat even new that may not say Gibson or Fender, but have the look and 'expected' sound.

Its always better to start on a guitar that makes you want to pick it up and play - so if you aspire to play like Slash or Clapton for example, you'll more like to wanna pick up and play that instrument.

A PRS is a great solid instrument to learn on - Some may consider them above 'beginner' price and grade, even their SE line are more than what some people/parents would advise spending on as a 'beginner' so there is that aspect too. That's the main reasons PRS are not 'commonly' advised on as a first Guitar - not for any 'technique' or anything. The Custom 24 won't sound 'exactly like a some of the Gibson LP tones, but it won't stop you playing ANY song any other Guitar would. Recording artists use their own instrument when they do 'covers' so unless you are a 'tribute' act, you can probably get close enough with whatever guitar, pedals, amp etc you'll end up wanting/owning....

I wish my first guitar had been a PRS...

Only comment I'd want to contribute is that I never played real single coils until I was almost 30 years old, and wish I had gotten a guitar with single coils sooner. I could only really afford one guitar when younger and humbuckers were it. They just sound different and I played differently because of that. Not that I dislike humbuckers, but they sound different. But very different sonic palettes.

Many years ago I started with a Strat which I still have and will never sell. Over time I also got a Les Paul Deluxe, never really bonded with it and after it sat in it's case for a year I chopped it in for a modern Strat. Liked that, but it offered nothing more than my old faithful - except for a whammy bar.

Chopped the new Strat in for a Tele which because my main guitar for about 5 years. A lot of Country Rock those days - then I made the biggest blunder ever and chopped it in to fund my first PRS.

Don't get me wrong, I love the PRS and it's been my main guitar for 20 years now. But I still kick myself for not keeping the Tele and fuding the PRS differently.

Fast forward to last week and I have just bought a shiny new SE 24-08 Standard and love it.

So I now have 3 main electrics and one acoustic and there are times when I will use them as tonally they are all different.

But gotta stop this collecting gear as it's getting a) addictive and b) expensive.

Many years ago I started with a Strat which I still have and will never sell. Over time I also got a Les Paul Deluxe, never really bonded with it and after it sat in it's case for a year I chopped it in for a modern Strat. Liked that, but it offered nothing more than my old faithful - except for a whammy bar.

Chopped the new Strat in for a Tele which because my main guitar for about 5 years. A lot of Country Rock those days - then I made the biggest blunder ever and chopped it in to fund my first PRS.

Don't get me wrong, I love the PRS and it's been my main guitar for 20 years now. But I still kick myself for not keeping the Tele and fuding the PRS differently.

Fast forward to last week and I have just bought a shiny new SE 24-08 Standard and love it.

So I now have 3 main electrics and one acoustic and there are times when I will use them as tonally they are all different.

But gotta stop this collecting gear as it's getting a) addictive and b) expensive.
Guitars are a very emotional purchase. We all seem to "talk" ourselves into them at one point or another.
I try to make my choices as varied in tonal options as I can, and so far have done alright with that. I don't want a new/other guitar for just the guitar sake, I want a machine that gives me something I don't already have. I'd love a SS for the pure single coils, and I'd like to get a single cut 594 but that's getting close to the realm of my S2 Thinline tonally.... but even though I don't care for a real LP for many reasons, I do like the look/style of them. Decisions, decisions.

Why is that? I went into a store recently and tried a Les Paul for the first time and it seemed more comfortable to play than the Strat I picked up. For some reason, the Les Paul felt closer to the PRS and easier to move around than the Strat.
must have been a 60's Les paul vs the 59 reissue. I have both and pretty much only play by 60's LP reissue because the neck is similar to my PRS, Strat, etc. The 59 neck too chunky and large. Best neck ever is the wide thin or pattern thin on a PRS.

Anything noticeable will be possible. It's all in the neck. As long as that feels right, you are good to go. Look for a Pattern thin or Wide thin PRS and you can't go wrong. The neck/radius will be similar to your Strat. I have a Clapton Custom Shop Strat, bought it new in 2008 and it's sill one of my favorite necks. IMHO you'll flourish with a PRS and the thinner neck. A must, the 85/15 humbuckers. Again, in my opinion, "the best" humbucker pickup out. I have them in my Private Stock Custom 22 as well as two other Custom 24's. They do it all however again, it's all in the neck and to me PRS guitar necks are the best with one exception. I bought a new 594 years ago knowing the neck didn't feel right. Too bulky. I tried and tried but ended up selling it. I'd rather play my 60's custom shop reissue Les Paul. Killer guitar.
Good luck, have fun.

Here was my process...

So I went to try them out. Didn't like the feel or tones of the player plus. Sounded thin and the fretboard seemed narrow compared to the acoustic I've been playing on.
They hand me a PRS SE...that feels and sounds great. And it's even cheaper than the player plus.

Went to a different store to make sure I still liked the PRS SE.
I play one, it again feels and sounds great. They hand me a standard S2 just for fun, it feels and sounds even better. More articulate, more sustain, better feel.
I try the SE again...not nearly as good as the 3 S2s I try (a standard, a 10th anniversary cu24, a McCarty 594).
After a few hours deciding between the 594 and anniversary cu24, I ended up with the anniversary.

I don't regret it at all...it's something I can grow into. And happy to say that when I just went and tried a strat again, it didn't feel so bad. So at least my improving technique is helping to be okay with different shape guitars.
I feel ya. Great choice going with the anniversary edition. I'm assuming that's a Core 24. I've never played a CE or a SE, have several PRS guitars, one P Stock and the rest are all core. Was very disappointed in the 594 and sold it after a few years. Neck didn't work for me, I'd rather play my Custom shop 60's reissue Les Paul. A rock machine. have fun.

I feel ya. Great choice going with the anniversary edition. I'm assuming that's a Core 24. I've never played a CE or a SE, have several PRS guitars, one P Stock and the rest are all core. Was very disappointed in the 594 and sold it after a few years. Neck didn't work for me, I'd rather play my Custom shop 60's reissue Les Paul. A rock machine. have fun.
It's actually an S2. But with the core pickups.

Only comment I'd want to contribute is that I never played real single coils until I was almost 30 years old, and wish I had gotten a guitar with single coils sooner. I could only really afford one guitar when younger and humbuckers were it. They just sound different and I played differently because of that. Not that I dislike humbuckers, but they sound different. But very different sonic palettes.
How do you play differently because of that?

Single coils have a more intimate feel to me. Buckers are heavier/thicker sound, very rock and roll, more brute force. A humbucker lead part over a single coil rhythm part often works differently than over a humbucker rhythm part. I definitely notice it when songwriting that blends of single coil and humbucker parts occupy different sonic places and don't compete so am able to write complementary parts better. I guess the getting into Stevie RAy Vaughan and something like Little Wing is what got me to want to play single coil styles.

Single coils have a more intimate feel to me. Buckers are heavier/thicker sound, very rock and roll, more brute force. A humbucker lead part over a single coil rhythm part often works differently than over a humbucker rhythm part. I definitely notice it when songwriting that blends of single coil and humbucker parts occupy different sonic places and don't compete so am able to write complementary parts better. I guess the getting into Stevie RAy Vaughan and something like Little Wing is what got me to want to play single coil styles.
I get that, they each have their place when you are combining the two sonic patterns. Some of it works like magic, and other times it's sort of like one being a half tone off key. Butting heads completely.

Back