PRS 58/15 LT "S" pickups

NugNug

I have these pickups in my '21 PRS S2 McCarty 594. They sound terrible! Very muddy. On coil split the volume drops of about 50%. I see the pots and pickups are made in Korea. Seriously? Very disappointed. This guitar is not inexpensive. Supposed to be a "USA" guitar.

I also noticed a bare ground wire in the bridge pickup cavity not soldered to anything. It looks as if it could possibly touch the pickup when the pickup is installed. Seems odd. Any thoughts?

Is there a place on the PRS website that explains the differences in all their pickups?

Anyway, I'm looking to replace the pickups. Anyone have replacements they used that they really like that are NOT muddy? So far I'm looking at SD Pearly Gates, SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers, and Vaughn Skow "Ultimate PRS Humbucker Set." TIA

57/08's if want vintage PAF tone.

They aren't cheap but they're my favorite PRS pickups.

If you want Duncans then Duncan Antiquitys are my favorites from Duncan.

I don't care for Seth Lovers. Weak. No balls.

57/08's if want vintage PAF tone.

They aren't cheap but they're my favorite PRS pickups.

If you want Duncans then Duncan Antiquitys are my favorites from Duncan.

I don't care for Seth Lovers. Weak. No balls.

Thanks Lewguitar. I have been researching the 57/08's. Most say they are their fav PRS p/u's.

https://www.guitarworld.com/reviews/bare-knuckle-pickups-peacemaker-humbucker-review
Bare Knuckle Pickups Peacemaker. Call me crazy…but this has sounded epic to me in my s2 594. Certainly not dull, bright, sterile, or muddy. Very versatile. Plenty of balls for a PAF!
The BKP Abraxas is really nice too. A bit stronger than a PAF. I have a set in my CE22.

Also the Alnico 2 version of the Wolfetone Marshallheads is excellent. I didn't care for the Alnico 5 version. Too bright and sizzley for me.

But I really like the Alnico 2 version. Like a strong set of PAFs.

Yes S2s are built with cost savings to fit a price point in mind. The necks are also different construction than core models.

All that said...I vote for Bareknuckle mules or 57/08s.

Yes S2s are built with cost savings to fit a price point in mind. The necks are also different construction than core models.

All that said...I vote for Bareknuckle mules or 57/08s.
I'd love to try some BKP Mules or Peacemakers. I am a BKP fan and have their Nantucket P90's in a PRS Soapbar and as i said, the Abraxas humbuckers in my '00 CE22. Bought the '00 CE22 with the previous owner's weird choice of replacement pickups and changed them immediately.

Based on what I do actually own and use, these are my favorite PAF style pickups:

1. PRS 57/08
2. Wolfetone Marshallheads w/ roughcast ALNICO 2 magnets. But not ALNICO 5 like Wolfe prefers.
3. Duncan Antiquitys. Not Seth Lovers though.

4. Tom Holmes humbuckers. Probably now unaffordable and unfindable but I have an old set in my '00 Gibson ES-335 and they're pretty fabulous.

The pickups in the S2 line in general are an embarrasment. There’s no way around it. Epiphones these days have better pickups and electronics.

The real 58/15 LTs are the best low output humbuckers ever, though!

I have these pickups in my '21 PRS S2 McCarty 594. They sound terrible! Very muddy. On coil split the volume drops of about 50%. I see the pots and pickups are made in Korea. Seriously? Very disappointed. This guitar is not inexpensive. Supposed to be a "USA" guitar.

I also noticed a bare ground wire in the bridge pickup cavity not soldered to anything. It looks as if it could possibly touch the pickup when the pickup is installed. Seems odd. Any thoughts?

Is there a place on the PRS website that explains the differences in all their pickups?

Anyway, I'm looking to replace the pickups. Anyone have replacements they used that they really like that are NOT muddy? So far I'm looking at SD Pearly Gates, SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers, and Vaughn Skow "Ultimate PRS Humbucker Set." TIA
I have the same pickups in my MC 594SE. They are a little darker than humbuckers in my other guitars but I wouldn’t call them muddy. The McCarty pickups in my 2007 core McCarty are darker. There isn’t a lot of information on the PRS website on the differences between pickups other than resistance values. I would definitely check pickup height is within specs furnished on the PRS website. Mine were way off the published height and sounded terrible. 58/15 pickups are low wind, low resistance pickups so height is very important. I have really started to like the sound of these pickups. They have a nice gritty sound to them. They actually sound a lot like P90’s, which is a good thing in my book, but I prefer less treble than a lot of PAF type Humbucker pickups.
One other thing you could try is an EQ pedal to take out some of the woofiness in the neck Humbucker.

I prefer less treble than a lot of PAF type Humbucker pickups.
Me too. I like a warmer sound but with just enough edge that it doesn't sound woofy.

If a humbucker doesn't have a metal cover soldered on, swapping the magnet is easy.

I just bought a bunch of roughcast alnico 2 magnets rom AddictionFX.

Alnico 2 can make an alnico 5 pickup sound warmer and fuller in the mids.

Alnico 5 can make an alnico 2 pickups have more treble and less mids.

Alnico 4 has qualities of both.

I didn't like the Alnico 5 Wolfetone Marshallheads at first (too bright and sizzley) and I even put them on Reverb for a day.

But then my A2 magnets showed up in the mail, I swapped the A5 magnets in the Marshallheads to roughcast A2 and now I love them!

They're almost as nice as the 57/08's.

I made a similar thread recently. Surgical eq helped a lot… scoop out the low mids, boost the upper mids
My eq pedal is MVP on my board. I set up the tone controls on my MC 594 completely opposite on my ‘59 Les Paul Reissue. The bridge pickup tone is on 10 and the neck pickup tone is at 5 so I can get a darker, smoother sound ala Warren Haynes. With the bridge volume and tone up all the way it is a ballsy sound, but not harsh or shrill. The middle position is articulate and chimey but can bark if you dig in.

So I swapped out the .033 cap for a .022 cap. It helped some, but these pickups just sound like **** to me. I'm wondering if the pots are adding to the problem. Not sure the POS is worth my time, $ and effort to make it sound good. PRS screwed the pooch on this guitar. I could get a very nice LP or Strat for what this thing cost.

The pickups in the S2 line in general are an embarrasment. There’s no way around it. Epiphones these days have better pickups and electronics.

The real 58/15 LTs are the best low output humbuckers ever, though!

wow, and Epi pickups suck!

What do you guys think of SD Phat Cat P90's in this guitar? Don't have a P90 guitar, and they sound nice to me.

If your pickups are losing 50% volume when you split the coils, something is wrong with the wiring. It should not do that. I've owned 6 or 7 S2 594s and none of them had significant volume loss when splitting coils.

I also find the pickups to be pretty darn nice through my rigs. Maybe the muddiness is related to the issue with the volume loss? In any case, if your wiring is faulty and you get it figured out, you might end up loving the pickups.

If your pickups are losing 50% volume when you split the coils, something is wrong with the wiring. It should not do that. I've owned 6 or 7 S2 594s and none of them had significant volume loss when splitting coils.

I also find the pickups to be pretty darn nice through my rigs. Maybe the muddiness is related to the issue with the volume loss? In any case, if your wiring is faulty and you get it figured out, you might end up loving the pickups.

Hey Family Man. I'm wondering if the pots in this guitar are crap ??? I've noticed any slight movement of the volume pots immediately cut out a ton of treble.

I ended up with Dimarzio 36th Anniversary set in mine. They are really good in this guitar and although I thought the stock pickups were ok, these really opened it up and brought it to life. I also replaced the stock electronics which also helped. The quality of the soldering from the factory was not very good which leads to intermittent issues so you may as well kill two birds with one stone. FWIW I have other S2’s and SE’s that do not have this issue.

Last edited:
I ended up with Dimarzio 36th Anniversary set in mine. They are really good in this guitar and although I thought the stock pickups were ok, these really opened it up and brought it to life. I also replaced the stock electronics which also helped. The quality of the soldering from the factory was not very good which leads to intermittent issues so you may as well kill two birds with one stone. FWIW I have other S2’s and SE’s that do not have this issue.

Thanks frankencat. I was thinking the same thing re electronics. Did you replace the 3 way switch and all the wiring too?

Back