PRS 509 - how good are they?

perius

Local guitar store (Willie's in St. Paul, MN) has a 509. Are they really as awesome as they seem? Versatile? Sound as good in single coil mode as humbucker? Single coil sounds noiseless? Give me the scoop!

Local guitar store (Willie's in St. Paul, MN) has a 509. Are they really as awesome as they seem? Versatile? Sound as good in single coil mode as humbucker? Single coil sounds noiseless? Give me the scoop!

If you want a PRS 'SuperStrat', then I really do think the 509 is great. I think it has a mix of tele, strat and humbucker type tones depending on configuration which certainly brings versatility. The option it lacks in my opinion is the option to have the 2 humbuckers working together (like twin humbucker guitars) and its more a jack of all trades, master of none if that makes sense. That's not to say it isn't great but that its not quite as good as having a strat, tele and twin humbucker type guitar. I don't use mine as much as my 594 or Cu24 and not really a single coil player. I bought mine in case I wanted/needed strat/tele type options and don't really like strat/tele's. I think its perfect for a covers band guitarist - someone who needs 3 or more guitars to play their set and gets fed up swapping guitars after every song or two. Best bet is to try one yourself and see what you think.

Even though I prefer shorter scale length twin humbucking guitars, I would still recommend a 509 as they are great and obviously have PRS build quality and attention to detail.

This is a great video and shows how versatile it is.

Well. That was damning with faint praise. It's not everyone's cup of tea. It's really a guitar that's in between a Strat, a Telecaster, and a Les Paul. The production versions are closer to a Les Paul in warmth, but with a telecaster growl on the bridge pick up and a strat like coo on the neck pick up. In the mixed positions, you can get P90 type sounds with the humbucker and single coil mixes as well as middle position ES-335 tones. Being a mix between a 513 and a 408, there is not real volume drop between singlecoil and humbucking modes due the asymmetrical winding in the humbucking pairs of single coils. In singlecoil mode, it is not really noiseless, but is practically noiseless in humbucking mode and in the mixed positions. The longer scale length causes the guitar to fight you a bit like a strat which some players really like.

Where the design shines is when you get into the limited runs. The wood library swamp ash bodied ones with a maple top and a maple neck are strat and tele killers. Amazingly, they still have the warmth but with extended top ends and focused lows without being nasal. It's really is shame that the production models don't baseline that wood combination, but swamp ash takes a long time to dry out which would mean much less production.

Last edited:

You'll get excellent info in this forum, but since you found one locally go and try it!!
Nothing better than a test drive!

I do not have a 509 but do have a 513
Really like the scale length (25 1/4)
Love the sounds on my 513 from my understanding the single coil sounds are even better.
Most seem to like the hybrid 408/513 switching better.
Some folks call the 513/509 the jack of all trades master of none I strongly disagree the 513 has a killer voice the single coil tone are powerful and warm and the humbucker tone are killer.
Love this whole series of guitars ( 305/DC3/513/509 )

Well. That was damning with faint praise. It's not everyone's cup of tea. It's really a guitar that's in between a Strat, a Telecaster, and a Les Paul. The production versions are closer to a Les Paul in warmth, but with a telecaster growl on the bridge pick up and a strat like coo on the neck pick up. In the mixed positions, you can get P90 type sounds with the humbucker and single coil mixes as well as middle position ES-335 tones. Being a mix between a 513 and a 408, there is not real volume drop between singlecoil and humbucking modse due the asymmetrical winding in the humbucking pairs of single coils. In singlecoil mode, it is not really noiseless, but is practically noiseless in humbucking mode and in the mixed positions. The longer scale length causes the guitar to fight you a bit like a strat which some players really like.

Where the design shines is when you get into the limited runs. The wood library swamp ash bodied ones with a maple top and a maple neck are strat and tele killers. Amazingly, they still have the warmth but with extended top ends and focused lows without being nasal. It's really is shame that the production models don't baseline that wood combination, but swamp ash takes a long time to dry out which would mean much less production.

Nailed it!

OP - if you're close to Willie's, make the drive and check it out!

I think Jack of all trades, master of none is fair. It does a bit of what you can get from a tele, a strat and LP but does it match up to having a dedicated Tele, Strat and Les Paul? In my opinion no - not that it is a bad thing as the guitar still has great sounds from it but if you were looking for a guitar that can replace those 3 completely, its not going to - at least in my opinion. Its in between all of these guitars in a lot of ways and perhaps those 'compromises' to fit all 3 guitars into one for versatility, sacrifices something from each a bit but it does do a very good job. Its not mastered the Les Paul tone and feel, not quite a Tele or Strat either - not necessarily a bad thing as it has its own thing going too but if you are looking for a classic Strat/LP/Tele in one instrument, its not quite there - hence master of none - but still great.

If you want more of a classic Stratty 509, then maybe a custom build with different woods for the body/neck may well come closer and may even be better in some ways. I do think my Core 509 though, with its mahogany body/neck has its own SC tones that are close but different too. I don't think the Humbuckers are quite like a Les Paul or 594 - maybe because its thinner overall, has a trem and has a longer scale length too.

If you aren't looking for a Les Paul that also can be a Strat and/or Tele, offering everything and the tones you expect from these, then this is a superb and versatile instrument that has its own voice that can sound close to all of these. Its perhaps better to go into thinking its its own instrument rather than trying to compare its Humbuckers to a LP or its SC performance to a Strat.

Well. That was damning with faint praise. It's not everyone's cup of tea. It's really a guitar that's in between a Strat, a Telecaster, and a Les Paul. The production versions are closer to a Les Paul in warmth, but with a telecaster growl on the bridge pick up and a strat like coo on the neck pick up. In the mixed positions, you can get P90 type sounds with the humbucker and single coil mixes as well as middle position ES-335 tones. Being a mix between a 513 and a 408, there is not real volume drop between singlecoil and humbucking modes due the asymmetrical winding in the humbucking pairs of single coils. In singlecoil mode, it is not really noiseless, but is practically noiseless in humbucking mode and in the mixed positions. The longer scale length causes the guitar to fight you a bit like a strat which some players really like.

Nailed it!

OP - if you're close to Willie's, make the drive and check it out!
Yep!

Love my WL509!! Might play it tonight!

Just played my WL Artist swamp ash for 3 hours after work it's majorly a keeper and a favorite. I loved my other WL 509 with hog body and neck, but sold it after I received my limited run one from Brian's that several forum owners bought.

I recently bought my first PRS from guitar center used, a beautiful charcoal burst 509. I can’t expalin how great of a guitar it is. It plays phenomenal, keeps tune even with excessive Trem use, and resonates forever even without being plugged in. It’s an exemplary core PRS. When it comes to tone it is an absolute beast. It is exactly how I want an electric guitar to sound. I play a Kemper and they bring out the absolute best in each other. The Kemper is obviously amazing and versatile but it pulls out the versatility of 509 by exemplifiying each of the pickup selections. Different amp profiles will react differently with each pickup, for example a thin fender twin will give a Stratty sound especially when paired with a compressor while a cranked Friedman profile will give a very les Paul feel. Despite the fact that the 509 covers so much ground it is still very much it’s own guitar. There are upper harmonics that I’ve never heard in another guitar. It is warm yet very clear. It also has a very tame and elegant feel. It is not the guitar I pick up to play angrily. It does well with gain depending on what combination you have, but it shines in every position when clean. There are a couple reasons I feel they haven’t been as popular as they should be. The first would probably be how little marketing they’ve gotten from PRS. Marketing a guitar stating that it has nine pickup combinations isn’t that special. There are tons of ways a guitar can get way more than the 509 and for way under the price. There are very few articles or reviews on them online and we all know how important online presence is. They are also more expensive than other core models by a couple hundred. The 509 also carries the Jack of all Trades master of none stereotype. This is seen throughout the industry with starter amps and line 6 stuff that doesn’t really sound that great in any of their options, despite having so many. The 509 is not like this at all as each position is unique to the 509 and sounds like a real guitar. Finally I think the pickup look and size throws a lot of people off. They do look a little modern as well as being to big, making pickups swaps very hard, of not impossible. However I believe that if you’re going to buy a 3-5 thousand dollar guitar why would you switch the pickups. If you don’t like how the guitar sounds don’t buy the guitar. All this being said I would definitely encourage anyone wanting to buy the guitar to try before buying. It is a little different and I would encourage anyone to try. It maybe be a little niche but I would take it over any other core model offered.

I recently bought my first PRS from guitar center used, a beautiful charcoal burst 509. I can’t expalin how great of a guitar it is. It plays phenomenal, keeps tune even with excessive Trem use, and resonates forever even without being plugged in. It’s an exemplary core PRS. When it comes to tone it is an absolute beast. It is exactly how I want an electric guitar to sound. I play a Kemper and they bring out the absolute best in each other. The Kemper is obviously amazing and versatile but it pulls out the versatility of 509 by exemplifiying each of the pickup selections. Different amp profiles will react differently with each pickup, for example a thin fender twin will give a Stratty sound especially when paired with a compressor while a cranked Friedman profile will give a very les Paul feel. Despite the fact that the 509 covers so much ground it is still very much it’s own guitar. There are upper harmonics that I’ve never heard in another guitar. It is warm yet very clear. It also has a very tame and elegant feel. It is not the guitar I pick up to play angrily. It does well with gain depending on what combination you have, but it shines in every position when clean. There are a couple reasons I feel they haven’t been as popular as they should be. The first would probably be how little marketing they’ve gotten from PRS. Marketing a guitar stating that it has nine pickup combinations isn’t that special. There are tons of ways a guitar can get way more than the 509 and for way under the price. There are very few articles or reviews on them online and we all know how important online presence is. They are also more expensive than other core models by a couple hundred. The 509 also carries the Jack of all Trades master of none stereotype. This is seen throughout the industry with starter amps and line 6 stuff that doesn’t really sound that great in any of their options, despite having so many. The 509 is not like this at all as each position is unique to the 509 and sounds like a real guitar. Finally I think the pickup look and size throws a lot of people off. They do look a little modern as well as being to big, making pickups swaps very hard, of not impossible. However I believe that if you’re going to buy a 3-5 thousand dollar guitar why would you switch the pickups. If you don’t like how the guitar sounds don’t buy the guitar. All this being said I would definitely encourage anyone wanting to buy the guitar to try before buying. It is a little different and I would encourage anyone to try. It maybe be a little niche but I would take it over any other core model offered.

Great write up! I love my 509, too!

Back