Project: o(VEL)h(A)ul - The Franken-Vela

Please pick one bridge and one neck! (Assume these are all the respective treble or bass versions)

• Total voters

EatSleepGuitar

Hello everyone!

I will be endeavoring in the coming weeks to convert my beloved Vela to an HH setup (yes, there is a full humbucker route under that Type-D). This guitar is butter; the pattern vintage carve fits my hand like it was custom-tailored for it. And who doesn't like an offset lightweight axe? Superb craftsmanship and fretwork...well you all know. SO: I want to convert it in to a bit more of a workhorse.

I also value independent coil splitting and volume control as a means of mixing in each pickup when in the middle position. So I will be installing dual-concentric pots where the current volume and tone are, and have each assigned as volume/tone to one of the pickups. I will then drill a couple of small holes in the pickguard (I mean I'm cutting it up for the neck hum anyway, and pickguards are like $30; might as well). In these will go a couple of toggles for coil splitting. I would wire them as on/on/on for series/hum/parallel, but most of the pickup options aren't four conductor. Womp.

I've entertained probably a dozen ideas of which pickups to use in the bridge and neck; currently it's still wearing the Type-D which I almost swapped for a vintage mini-hum, and a Suhr Thornbucker bridge. I have a bunch of extra PRS pickups lying around (as well as a bunch of other brands too), and figured what the hell; why not let the forum decide what goes in on the inaugural conversion?

So!

Please let me know via the poll what H-H combo you want to see/hear first! I swap pickups like a madman...so likely that some of these will get tried at some point, not just one.

I will be following up in this thread will some installation points; oversights, successes, headaches, etc; as I progress so the whole process is transparent!

Let's make this fun!

57/08 neck covered and 59/09 bridge covered.
Ah unfortunately I only have one 59/09; it is the treble but is covered with Gold hardware and thus currently installed in one of my 90s Les Pauls with a Gibson P-94R in the neck. Sounds amazing though! Beautiful transients in the middle position with the 59/09 split and the P-94 volume knob on about “7”

I’m going Firebird neck 57/08 bridge in mine eventually.
Not going to lie…of all of the PRS pickup sets I have, the one I think will be the most shameful to not put to use is the 53/10s, at least one of them anyway. They are fantastically unique pickups. No other winders make anything like them. And I don’t think they could if they tried. Whatever wire they used for these seems to be one of a kind, so to speak.

Not going to lie…of all of the PRS pickup sets I have, the one I think will be the most shameful to not put to use is the 53/10s, at least one of them anyway. They are fantastically unique pickups. No other winders make anything like them. And I don’t think they could if they tried. Whatever wire they used for these seems to be one of a kind, so to speak.
I'm a 5310 kind of guy, got em in two of my CEs and a parts drawer full of em.

Comment #1: Whoa, holy crap... you've got #10 pickups? You don't see those every day.

Comment #2: Normally I'd say 57/08 all the way--because they're great pickups--but if you're interested in good-sounding "split" options, then I'd definitely suggest the 58/15. Similarly PAF-ish sound, but they split much better than 57/08's in my opinion.

Comment #1: Whoa, holy crap... you've got #10 pickups? You don't see those every day.

Comment #2: Normally I'd say 57/08 all the way--because they're great pickups--but if you're interested in good-sounding "split" options, then I'd definitely suggest the 58/15. Similarly PAF-ish sound, but they split much better than 57/08's in my opinion.
Good to know! Both sets (57/08s and 58/15s) have been sitting around waiting for the right guitar to go into, so I haven’t heard them split.

As it happens, I actually have two #10 Trebles (one brushed, one polished, neither split) and three #10 Bass’ (one brushed, two polished, no splits)!

I'm a 5310 kind of guy, got em in two of my CEs and a parts drawer full of em.
Good to know! Both sets (57/08s and 58/15s) have been sitting around waiting for the right guitar to go into, so I haven’t heard them split.

As it happens, I actually have two #10 Trebles (one brushed, one polished, neither split) and three #10 Bass’ (one brushed, two polished, no splits)!
WTF? Both of you dudes need more guitars and less loose pickups

WTF? Both of you dudes need more guitars and less loose pickups
I would agree ha ha ha. I actually had to go through my parts drawer and document what pickups I actually have!

Oddly, the loose lone dragon 1 bridge pickup i have might actually be a Dan Huff bridge judging by my meter readings.

Don’t know if you’re aware then. But your parts drawer is currently a gold mine. Sets sell for almost a grand these days.
Well, I only have one covered bridge 5310. The rest are square bobbin and they're not bringing as much as covered 5310s are.

Wife and I are going to retire in less than 5 years. Been trying to come to terms with what that will actually look like.

We want to travel so having a bunch of nice guitars and such sitting around may not be such a good idea while we're running around.

Might be a huge sale the week before.........

Well, I only have one covered bridge 5310. The rest are square bobbin and they're not bringing as much as covered 5310s are.

Wife and I are going to retire in less than 5 years. Been trying to come to terms with what that will actually look like.

We want to travel so having a bunch of nice guitars and such sitting around may not be such a good idea while we're running around.

Might be a huge sale the week before.........
Ill buy a set of square bobbin 5310s off you no questions asked man, would love that actually

Back