Private Stock question

drjenkins

I Don't know what to put here...
Not sure how common they are but do any of you guys have a Private Stock with a satin finish? If so, how is it wearing over time (glossing, etc.)?

Thanks!

It will gloss up if you rub on it. :eek::oops:
:cool: LOL, indeed it will.

Yes, they make them, no, I don’t have one, but it’ll gloss up where it gets friction, which is where your forearm rests, the neck, etc.

Any satin finish will wear that way.

Yeah, I knew they made them, I played one over the weekend and kind of wanted to look into to possibly getting it, maybe, possibly, perhaps. My concern is with spending that much on a guitar and it developing shiny spots. My 2000 SAS came with a fully matte neck finish and it's straight up gloss now. I was just wondering if they'd figured out a way to combat or lessen the effect since then. Sounds like they haven't. Love the feel of the satin finish, but it's a bit of a deal breaker if it's gonna gloss. Guess that's the downside to that type of finish.

Thanks guys !

After experiencing my first Modern Eagles (actually, it was ALL of the MEs, thanks to Markie. Ok, 11Top had a couple too) that I realized that a satin finish is a collector’s finish. If you really play and use that guitar, it will not be satin all over for very long. But damn, they are sofa king gorgeous.

:cool: LOL, indeed it will.

Yeah, I knew they made them, I played one over the weekend and kind of wanted to look into to possibly getting it, maybe, possibly, perhaps. My concern is with spending that much on a guitar and it developing shiny spots. My 2000 SAS came with a fully matte neck finish and it's straight up gloss now. I was just wondering if they'd figured out a way to combat or lessen the effect since then. Sounds like they haven't. Love the feel of the satin finish, but it's a bit of a deal breaker if it's gonna gloss. Guess that's the downside to that type of finish.

Thanks guys !
Steel wool or micro mesh that neck, gently.

For that matter, you could polish the top on that PS and gloss it up.

Guess that's the downside to that type of finish.

The downside to me is that it makes no sense to pick a highly-figured billet of wood and then hide the pretty curl and striations under satin. I understand the “feel” logic for the neck, but don’t understand the top.
After experiencing my first Modern Eagles (actually, it was ALL of the MEs, thanks to Markie. Ok, 11Top had a couple too) that I realized that a satin finish is a collector’s finish. If you really play and use that guitar, it will not be satin all over for very long. But damn, they are sofa king gorgeous.

This is how you make an ME 1 gorgeous IMO..........Gloss those puppies up!

The downside to me is that it makes no sense to pick a highly-figured billet of wood and then hide the pretty curl and striations under satin. I understand the “feel” logic for the neck, but don’t understand the top.

Yeah, I can definitely see where you're coming from on that.

I prefer gloss as well, even for the feel; those guitars are gorgeous, Steve!

Back