Private Stock Friday

Finally the moment I have been waiting for months. It’s wonderful to spot my Buckeye Burl split top 594 Trem piezo (Yup quite a mouthful). Just can’t wait. However I shall still continue stalking this thread as it has become a bad (or good) habit

What will the stain be on the maple on top? Cool idea, btw.

Love how quilt can be made to look like clouds!
psf228-1000-2-jpg.8018

I agree!

I have a variation of this in the works, but I’m not using maple.

My one bit of advice: DON'T!!

If he's been playing 1 yr or less, tell him to switch to righty. Both myself and Mr Iommi would give the same advice. Him because in interviews I've read because he felt artificially limited after his accident. Me because its heartbreaking to never find a guitar I like, or constantly pay an unfair upcharge. Personally, I'm excited about building a PS for myself, and feel fortunate that I can. There's also a little bit of annoyance over the fact that it's the only way I'm getting a hollowbody. Not a HBII, but ANY PRS hollowbody...
(NOT a dig on PRS at ALL, they're as good or BETTER than most guitar manufacturers)

Seriously, I do lots of things righty, and never realized it. I throw a baseball lefty, but bat righty b/c no one could teach me how to hold it "backwards". I play lacrosse ambidextrously, I golf righty, and do most other things either ambi or "almost as good righty".

Put a righty in that boy's hands.

I'm a lefty too - started on drums ('both ways'), and also play credibly on piano (ie, with others) -- righty guitar because I couldn't find a lefty 40+ years ago...

It's a tough question - my right hand has struggled for decades to progress in picking precision and speed - I've learned to embrace my limitations.

Many many famous lefty's play righty - Mark Knopfler being my favorite - so many other examples -

I can't count the number of times I've wondered if I started over whether it'd be lefty guitar - piano is a totally different animal, not a valid comparison lefty/righty as the fine motor skills differ. Biggest question is what does he want to play - if it's fast/shred/metal/jazz, stay lefty. If it's more subtle/nuanced, less speed dependent, maybe swap to right -

Either way, the selection of lefty guitars today far exceeds even a few years back - there are many many pro-level lefty's - and we all have guitar acquisition syndrome, but sometimes a limitation becomes a strength - countless guitar heroes are known for a single guitar. We love many, but need only one...

Regardless of the handedness - what matters is a love of the challenge of learning and making music.

Good luck!!

I'm a lefty too - started on drums ('both ways'), and also play credibly on piano (ie, with others) -- righty guitar because I couldn't find a lefty 40+ years ago...

It's a tough question - my right hand has struggled for decades to progress in picking precision and speed - I've learned to embrace my limitations.

Many many famous lefty's play righty - Mark Knopfler being my favorite - so many other examples -

I can't count the number of times I've wondered if I started over whether it'd be lefty guitar - piano is a totally different animal, not a valid comparison lefty/righty as the fine motor skills differ. Biggest question is what does he want to play - if it's fast/shred/metal/jazz, stay lefty. If it's more subtle/nuanced, less speed dependent, maybe swap to right -

Either way, the selection of lefty guitars today far exceeds even a few years back - there are many many pro-level lefty's - and we all have guitar acquisition syndrome, but sometimes a limitation becomes a strength - countless guitar heroes are known for a single guitar. We love many, but need only one...

Regardless of the handedness - what matters is a love of the challenge of learning and making music.

Good luck!!

Hey another piece of advice/ something to check out.
Josh Middleton of Sylosis and Architects.
Lefty but plays guitar right handed.
And simply has the most monster technique, in both hands (if I could imbibe of the chops of ant any guitarist dead or alive, it would be him)
He even has a video on this matter of being left handed yet playing right handed

Happy Friday, everyone! Here's something interesting I saw as I walked into the Private Stock area this week - a complicated looking clamp technique with two top woods.

PSF229(1000)1.JPG
PSF229(1000)2.JPG

It was explained to me that we glue-up tops this way when using multiple types of wood, like the design below:

PSF227(1000)3.jpg

Educational for me so I thought I'd pass it on!

I feel it's been too long, so I just have to say again:

I love this page, I look forward to it all week. Thanks again to Hunter and Shawn for doing this EVERY week, and to the guys working in PS that share their skill, love, and passion for making such amazing guitars. (Guitars? Works of Art?? What's the right word here?!?!?!)

Back