Private Stock Build ...equal parts personality and instrument...

d2g

Commitment lacking talent
Aloha Fellow PRSers,

Beginning this thread after a suggestion; been playing PRS since 1995, and after many years admiring and watching others create their own amazing designs, finally found myself in a situation where it was time to build my own Private Stock instrument. My guitar will deliver in spring 2020, 6-8 months from now.

Despite actually being a silent part of this forum for many many years, I'd never properly introduced myself. I've appreciated the camaraderie here - so here's my story...

I own several PRS already, and like most here, am constantly on the prowl for the next... my musical life began as a left-handed drummer, but as a geeky kid who didn't make friends so easily, ticket sales for my drum shows peaked somewhere before my first solo gig, and never really recovered. At some point, I got tired of the guitarists getting all the girls, and decided it was time to take things into my own hands...

My first guitar was a red Yamaha in about 1982, which ended up looking suspiciously alike today's S2 Vela in that fiery red color of the month - I'd even made my own white pickguard with that scorpion's tail... mine had a sharper tip. My second was a midnight blue Kramer... you all get the idea... I continued in drums for years despite my secret new passion... and guitar somehow morphed in later years to piano... which is now an equally humbling motivation as a musician.

I joke that a guy named Robert Zimmerman torpedoed my musical aspirations. Turns out my mom went to high school with 'that guy,' and when I discovered young that music was my passion, dedicating my life to music wasn't the most popular idea, despite my parents' support for my young gigging ways in northern Minnesota. By the time I was old enough to buy a drink, I'd already lost most of my partying interest after several years watching other people's adventures in backwoods bars.

I'll spend my life chasing a dream of musical competence, and magical instruments have always played a part. Along the way, I've been fortunate to join quite a few inspiringly competent players in some truly unique venues. Perhaps the most unusual was playing a set unplugged with Toby Keith atop a missile launcher aboard ship in the North Arabian Sea... or the football stadium in Indonesia, fireworks included... Peru, Brazil... I've been lucky.

So there's my backdrop. Music will never be my living but will always be my passion and the fullest expression of my identity. On to the guitar...

One of the magical aspects of PRS today is the ability to dream up your own ideas and watch true masters bring them to life. I had no idea how difficult the process of committing to those ideas would really be... when we see others' ideas, we appreciate their design philosophy. Each guitar becomes a window into its designers soul... I'll unfold my story here, a little at a time. We took nearly a year to finalize my choices.

My design began as a memorial to my dad who passed this month last year. I'm a lifelong musician, a dedicated and serious amateur, and my dad spent his early years in the Navy, which obviously influenced my ultimate career choice - setting me up for a life of contradictions. Being a serious musician doesn't always line up to people's expectations of a career military member.

This post has already become longer than should be allowed. I'll stop here and get to the real point - the Private Stock build - in future posts.

I look forward to hearing your stories, and connecting...

Don Gabrielson

Welcome Don! Wow, you’ve have some amazing experiences around the world! Thank you for your service!

Sorry about your dad passing, that had to be difficult. I think it’s great you were able to order your PS to help memorialize him. Especially when music is so important to you.

Look forward to hearing more about your your PS build.

Thanks Paul - moved to FL from WA earlier this year - meant to reach out to you sooner and ask where you live. ;-) We were in Lake Stevens for about 10 months.
We were in Redmond for several years, but sold our house in August. Working on relocating to Gig Harbor to be closer to family - been in a vacation rental while trying to find our next house. Been a tough multi-stage move with most of our stuff in storage since July. But I would imagine moving to Florida would be more challenging logistically!

BTW if your avatar pic is part of your build, that looks fantastic!

OK, Paul gets first prize... ;-)

Yep, that's a mock-up of the headstock. The train spotters here will recognize its basis...

That banner is a USN commissioning pennant which flies from the mast of every US Navy warship for its entire commissioned life. The truss rod cover has details not shown here...

The overall design is based around a patriotic theme without being too OTT as my Brit wife would say... I wanted something modern but not quickly dated, with strong graphic elements that hopefully stand up over time.

My mom insisted on a one-piece top, which became a top and back in my selection of an HB II Piezo - I straddle the acoustic/electric world... toyed with a 594 HB but figured the shorter scale might not work for the sounds in my head...

I'm lucky to have some amazing instruments of unusual materials, so I wanted the classic maple combo for this - Dad wasn't overly flashy.

My wife and I only needed a few minutes picking through the stacks in the vault - the right slabs found us pretty quickly, and I'm fortunate to visit PRS at least a couple times a year so we kind of had a head start on where to look.

Paul, we've moved more than average over the years but it never gets easier... lived all over the world, moved over 20 times in 30 years... moved to WA in June 2018 from Singapore, then to FL in May 2019... have some good friends in Gig Harbor. If you gig, I'l send them your way... the good news about moving is the opportunity to revisit what you really think you need versus what you really do need... to make room for the next PRS.

Toothace, sorry to hear your loss too - doesn't get easier, the memories just get more appreciated... what are you thinking for a model??

OK, Paul gets first prize... ;-)

Yep, that's a mock-up of the headstock. The train spotters here will recognize its basis...

That banner is a USN commissioning pennant which flies from the mast of every US Navy warship for its entire commissioned life. The truss rod cover has details not shown here...

The overall design is based around a patriotic theme without being too OTT as my Brit wife would say... I wanted something modern but not quickly dated, with strong graphic elements that hopefully stand up over time.

My mom insisted on a one-piece top, which became a top and back in my selection of an HB II Piezo - I straddle the acoustic/electric world... toyed with a 594 HB but figured the shorter scale might not work for the sounds in my head...

I'm lucky to have some amazing instruments of unusual materials, so I wanted the classic maple combo for this - Dad wasn't overly flashy.

My wife and I only needed a few minutes picking through the stacks in the vault - the right slabs found us pretty quickly, and I'm fortunate to visit PRS at least a couple times a year so we kind of had a head start on where to look.

Paul, we've moved more than average over the years but it never gets easier... lived all over the world, moved over 20 times in 30 years... moved to WA in June 2018 from Singapore, then to FL in May 2019... have some good friends in Gig Harbor. If you gig, I'l send them your way... the good news about moving is the opportunity to revisit what you really think you need versus what you really do need... to make room for the next PRS.

Toothace, sorry to hear your loss too - doesn't get easier, the memories just get more appreciated... what are you thinking for a model??
Sounds like a cool build. I like the ‘more’ detailed Eagle on the headstock :)

The post photos you need a third party hosting service, then paste the link into the image button here. I use Postimages.org. Imgur.com is popular too.

Appreciate the offer, but I do not gig due to a chronic illness (vestibular migraine for about 2 years now). Part of this move is advice from my group of doctors for me to simplify my lifestyle and try to get healthy.

Thanks friends - I'm super excited also... toying with the idea of a matching acoustic... wouldn't that be cool...

Tried Imgur and google photos many times today, neither worked. Followed the instructions in the forum... pasted the links to the photos which I'd uploaded... will try again later... also tried photobucket. Same

Trying postimages.org now...

1hn18s7iy

A Commissioning Pennant:

CP.jpg

Here's what I wanted in the top... but the HB II choice won't allow inlay like this... hmmmm... maybe I need a solid body some day...

The headstock design had these two elements in mind.

Eagle-RWB.jpg

I remember seeing the BoF neck for the first time a year ago... loved it...

Koa-Bo-F-Neck.jpg

But wanted something unique...

And was inspired by the ideas of ocean and deep blue sea. Icebergs came to mind as a symbol of our challenges... small on the surface...

Wanted to personalize the neck a bit... the mockup is close - the upper fret birds will just be gold outline... my initials are DDG...

So I was d2g way before Y2K...

Red jade around the edges of the headstock and neck.

Headstock.jpg

Neck.jpg

Which left the question of the body color...

Back