Prelude to a PTC trip ideas needed

Rider1260

My first PRSi is the below KL-33 it is a great guitar :)

But I have picked up some other PRS that are getting the love these days.

So I was thinking about a few mods ( possibly a PTC trip ) to improve this fine guitar.

Simple mod that would look cool I think would be going mixed hardware or at least covers or zebras

Now what about pickup there are 245s ( Mira ) pickups in it. These pickups sound good but they are a bit bright compared to my SCT (6s) and the 408s that I am digging right now.

So what pickup do you guys think in an all Korina guitar.

I am thinking coil tap or something to give the guitar more options at this point I am not doing anything that can't be reversed.
( unless 408s could go in )

Thanks for the help

You know I love these guitars so much, and you also should know that it's the one guitar of yours that I really wanted to check out... that I still REALLY want! But, it needs paint.:evil:

I wonder if 408s can be installed over a standard humbucker rout in the neck position? They're narrower than standard humbuckers, but maybe the covers would adequately hide the larger rout? It would be a much larger project to get the whole rout filled in and re-rout for a narrow 408.

I was hoping to get an idea of what I wanted before I bother people :iamconfused:
I usually just buy / trade guitars as my tastes change but used prices are in the tank and the KL is such a fine guitar.
I think a make over is the best idea the Idea of a 408 KL is a cool one

A 408 makeover is doable, but it will require some finish and body work so it will cost about twice as much as a simple pickup swap. If you like the #6 pickups, I'd recommend a set of \m/'s and a push/pull tone pot.

A 408 makeover is doable, but it will require some finish and body work so it will cost about twice as much as a simple pickup swap. If you like the #6 pickups, I'd recommend a set of \m/'s and a push/pull tone pot.

Thanks that sound pretty interesting :)

I am still thinking about Starla's pu's installed in one of me SAS ...whole different character of tones...just saying'...

That would be bad ass Bill! The PTC can do the work for you, or if you're handy with a soldering iron, you can get Starla pups from our parts department and do the work yourself.

I had the PTC install a pair of 57/08s in my Mira Korina (I received a PTC coupon when I purchased the guitar). It's like the guys at the PTC sprinkled fairy dust on the guitar. The 57/08 bass is a thing of beauty. The "Black Magic Woman" solo cover that I posted several weeks ago was recorded using the 57/08 bass pickup in my Mira Korina.

ModdedMiraK-1.jpg

Back