General PTC Query

Mark Ray

The RockTrain
I am needing the PTC. I sent them the form detailing what happened to my P22, with pictures. What is the general wait time for them to approve sending your guitar to them? Are there things that would keep them from repairing it?

I'm talking a refinish (different color) and repairing the piezo.

Asking of those who have had dealings with them.

Thanks!

Good question.
My experience with my P22 Piezo repair was pretty darn excellent considering the circumstances.
I had a local dealer ship my P22 on Jan 17 2020. They were the ones who arranged for the return auth number after looking at the problem themselves first. Are you going through a dealer, or DIY?
PTC ended up replacing the piezo board.
I got the guitar back Mar 11, 2020.
Not bad considering the state of the plague looming!
Best of luck mate!

I've utilized the PTC multiple times for different situations, all with different outcomes in terms of time.

Last I heard, they weren't doing refinishes to a different color, as it was too time consuming and they were too backed up. That may have changed, though.

I had one guitar completely refinished (under warranty). I was quoted 6-8 weeks, but it ended up taking right at about six months. Communication was great the entire time, though, and they explained the reason(s) for the delay.

I had a piezo board replaced on my HBII, and that was incredibly fast....maybe two or three weeks.

Had a general setup done on a guitar that was having subtle tuning stability issues. They quoted me two weeks on that, and it ended up being a little over a month.

All in all, it's difficult for anybody to gauge turnaround time after it lands at the shop. Being the line of work that it is, there are an infinite number of factors that can delay progress.

In terms of approval wait times...the time it takes for them to look at the guitar and say what they will or won't do, it's also hard to say. I think for my warranty refinish, it was like two weeks or so from the time it hit their door until they got around to inspecting it. The other diagnostic issues...the tuning stability issue took them maybe a week and a half, the piezo issue super quick, like, two days. I think it just all depends on how busy/backed up they are.

I'm subscribed though....would definitely like to see how things go for you!

Last edited:
I have not contacted a dealer. I'm not sure if the piezo is toast, or if it can be repaired.

What happened was we were playing on top of a two level boat dock this past Saturday for a private July 4th weekend party. A gale force wind suddenly blasted through, catching the wrap that was on the canopies we were under like a sail. My guitars were on a twin Hercules stand by the railing. The wrap, which was now acting as a sail, lifted up the canopies, catching up gear in the process. The P22 was OVER THE RAIL, hanging by the cord in the piezo. This all happened in less than five seconds. The guitar would have been in the lake if the piezo hadn't sacrificed it's life. The other bad part of this is that it put some nasty dings, through the finish, in several places on the guitar.
:(

Last edited:
It took a couple weeks for them to get back to me and then a little back and forth via email to figure out what needed done. Once the guitar was on the bench they made suggestions. They did suggest that I refinish the guitar due to blemishes that can’t be buffed out, I declined but they did offer. That was February or March of this year. They did an amazing job with the hardware replacements on my guitar, I can’t say though if they would or would not refinish to a different color because they only offered a refinish which I took to mean just the clear. They communicate pretty well and should explain what they’ll be able do once they have the guitar in hand.

I have not contacted a dealer. I'm not sure if the piezo is toast, or if it can be repaired.

What happened was we were playing on top of a two level boat dock this past Saturday for a private July 4th weekend party. A gale force wind suddenly blasted through, catching the wrap that was on the canopies we were under like a sail. My guitars were on a twin Hercules stand by the railing. The wrap, which was now acting as a sail, lifted up the canopies, catching up gear in the process. The P22 was OVER THE RAIL, hanging by the cord in the piezo. This all happened in less than five seconds. The guitar would have been in the lake if the piezo hadn't sacrificed it's life. The other bad part of this is that it put some nasty dings, through the finish, in several places on the guitar.
Dude, that sucks! I was going to say 'that blows", but considering the cause of the mishap, I thought otherwise :)

As for the PTC, I've had two refinishes done, both changing color. Front end communication was a couple of weeks. I was quoted 16 weeks on each one. The first took every bit of 16 weeks, but I was having more done to it (pick up swap, mini toggles, etc). The second one was back in about 6 weeks.

I am also not sure if they are doing refinishes, other than the original color, at this time. Seems like someone posted here a few weeks ago about a PTC refin and peeps were surprised because they didn't thing the PTC was back to doing that. At any rate, if you're changing colors, keep in mind you have to stay in the general wheelhouse of the original since they can not get all of the stain out. For example; You could go from a blue to a purple, but you can't go from a blue to an orange.

Here are the worst injuries. There are a lot more smaller ones as well.
npHoKZM.jpg

DhKMLJQ.jpg

KXoPDKZ.jpg

It is exactly situations like this that I have my gear insured through Heritage Music Insurance. They would take care of the cost of any of the repairs and if it devalued the instrument they would pay that out as well, or they pay for a replacement depending on the ability and cost to repair the instrument.

It is exactly situations like this that I have my gear insured through Heritage Music Insurance. They would take care of the cost of any of the repairs and if it devalued the instrument they would pay that out as well, or they pay for a replacement depending on the ability and cost to repair the instrument.
What's a ballpark figure for insuring say 25 electrics, 6 acoustics, and 14 tube amps.

Of course some are more valuable than others. You can PM me if you want.

Thanks!

What's a ballpark figure for insuring say 25 electrics, 6 acoustics, and 14 tube amps.

Of course some are more valuable than others. You can PM me if you want.

Thanks!
The premiums are dependent on the value of the items you are insuring. I would recommend reaching out to them if you are interested. They will give you a quote on it. I provide them a list annually in a spreadsheet that has everything listed in it with the replacement values. The situation I am in now is that you can't buy a lot of what I have insured now. That complicates it for estimating values. They have been very responsive in all of my interactions with them. I have had one claim and they were quick to get that started and get me taken care of.

Here is their site.

Oh boy…. @Mark Ray …….So sorry to hear that about your P22… my 2012 P22 Goldtop is probably my most cherished PRS.. the thick McCarty body and stop tailpiece really make that guitar so full and punchy sounding……
best of luck. I’m sure PRS will take care of you… They always take care of us…..You’ll just be without your guitar for a while, depending on what they have to repair and refinish…..
I learned a very valuable lesson on an outdoor gig I did last Saturday with the weather channel and radar saying it would just be cloudy.
I get there (20 minutes from home) and it was misting light rain for the entire 4 hour gig. Couldn’t use my fan cause it would blow water on me and the guitar…..I’d brought the P-22 and my Wood Library DGT! I always bring a clean towel and I kept wiping the guitars and my pedalboard down the entire night. The whole bands’ gear was soaked…We were under cover but it didn’t matter…... got home and put the 2 guitars on stands in my music room, wiped them down again and turned on the air conditioner all night to dry them out… They were fine (no rusty screws or pickups) , but having $9000 worth of guitars playing in the rain was just really stupid. I’m bringing my Santana SE out from now on with any questionable outdoor gigs. Ive got a bunch to play still…….I put good pickups and a Mann bridge on the Santana.…..It actually sounds quite good now…
We've had more hot rainy days here this Summer in Seacoast NH/S Maine than I’ve ever seen in my life. Ive had 3 gigs rained out and canceled already….. part of life I guess but I’m very grateful to be playing great music with our band and my duo….
Again… my condolences to your P-22……..that just truly sucks. They’ll take care of you…..Just glad it didn’t end up in the lake!I
I just read that Jason Aldean was playing a concert 2 hours south of me in Hartford CT and had to cancel half way through cause he got heatstroke ……..

Last edited:
Oh boy…. @Mark Ray …….So sorry to hear that about your P22… my 2012 P22 Goldtop is probably my most cherished PRS.. the thick McCarty body and stop tailpiece really make that guitar so full and punchy sounding……
best of luck. I’m sure PRS will take care of you… They always take care of us…..You’ll just be without your guitar for a while, depending on what they have to repair and refinish…..
I learned a very valuable lesson on an outdoor gig I did last Saturday with the weather channel and radar saying it would just be cloudy.
I get there (20 minutes from home) and it was misting light rain for the entire 4 hour gig. Couldn’t use my fan cause it would blow water on me and the guitar…..I’d brought the P-22 and my Wood Library DGT! I always bring a clean towel and I kept wiping the guitars and my pedalboard down the entire night. The whole bands’ gear was soaked…We were under cover but it didn’t matter…... got home and put the 2 guitars on stands in my music room, wiped them down again and turned on the air conditioner all night to dry them out… They were fine (no rusty screws or pickups) , but having $9000 worth of guitars playing in the rain was just really stupid. I’m bringing my Santana SE out from now on with any questionable outdoor gigs. Ive got a bunch to play still…….I put good pickups and a Mann bridge on the Santana.…..It actually sounds quite good now…
We've had more hot rainy days here this Summer in Seacoast NH/S Maine than I’ve ever seen in my life. Ive had 3 gigs rained out and canceled already….. part of life I guess but I’m very grateful to be playing great music with our band and my duo….
Again… my condolences to your P-22……..that just truly sucks. They’ll take care of you…..Just glad it didn’t end up in the lake!I
I just read that Jason Aldean was playing a concert 2 hours south of me in Hartford CT and had to cancel half way through cause he got heatstroke ……..
Thanks Rod!

I've already learned that if they do a refinish, it will most likely have to be the same color, and I'm okay with that. It will look like a new guitar.

Being here in east Tennessee, we practically live on the lakes in the summer, playing so many marinas. I can't count the number of times we've dodged rain, been rained on, been rained out, etc. over the years. I've lost a few pedals along the way, which certainly bites into the profit margin! This was the first time I had guitar damage, and it happened so quick no one could have prevented it.

The heat this past weekend was off the charts! Friday night I barely made it through, it was 95 degrees and 100% humidity when we started. I couldn't drink enough water and Gatorade.

Thanks Rod!

I've already learned that if they do a refinish, it will most likely have to be the same color, and I'm okay with that. It will look like a new guitar.

Being here in east Tennessee, we practically live on the lakes in the summer, playing so many marinas. I can't count the number of times we've dodged rain, been rained on, been rained out, etc. over the years. I've lost a few pedals along the way, which certainly bites into the profit margin! This was the first time I had guitar damage, and it happened so quick no one could have prevented it.

The heat this past weekend was off the charts! Friday night I barely made it through, it was 95 degrees and 100% humidity when we started. I couldn't drink enough water and Gatorade.
I haver very similar situations where in South Florida. Ours are year round. The summer outside gigs are a crap shoot for rain. One of the places down here that I have played has a floating stage. It is literally not attached to the dock area where it sets by anything other than ropes and a ramp to get your gear on and off of it. A drummer I know had his snare drum roll off of the stage into the water. He had to go swimming to retrieve it. It sank straight to the bottom. Thankfully the water there isn't super deep.

Thanks Rod!

Glad to hear they can fix it for you Mark…. …boy, that must have been a tough gig for you guys with 95 degrees and 100% humidity :eek:
. I guess I’m shocked by this weather in New England this year cause I came from Santa Fe New Mexico, where it hardly ever rains and the humidity is 10%….325 days of sunshine a year….:rolleyes:

Dude, that sucks! I was going to say 'that blows", but considering the cause of the mishap, I thought otherwise :)

As for the PTC, I've had two refinishes done, both changing color. Front end communication was a couple of weeks. I was quoted 16 weeks on each one. The first took every bit of 16 weeks, but I was having more done to it (pick up swap, mini toggles, etc). The second one was back in about 6 weeks.

I am also not sure if they are doing refinishes, other than the original color, at this time. Seems like someone posted here a few weeks ago about a PTC refin and peeps were surprised because they didn't thing the PTC was back to doing that. At any rate, if you're changing colors, keep in mind you have to stay in the general wheelhouse of the original since they can not get all of the stain out. For example; You could go from a blue to a purple, but you can't go from a blue to an orange.
I have a guitar at PTC right now for a warranty refin. They asked what color I would like. I opted for the original color, but they did ask!

UPDATE: I got a message Friday from the PTC. Waiting for next steps to get the guitar to them. It will be re-finished in the same color (Teal Black), and the piezo sussed or replaced. Time frame 4-6 months. YAY!
That time frame, for a full refin sounds about right. When I did my first, back in 2016, I was quoted 14 to 16 weeks. Took every bit of that time. Second one I was quoted the same 14 to 16 weeks, and it was back in 5.

Back