DGT SE Rewire...YES!

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
After some consultation w/ Ryan from PTC Customer Service, it was determined that my recent DGT SE be sent back in for service. What required repair was that the 3-way toggle angle was previously left to right across the front of the guitar top, which didn't feel normal. What had happened was that I poked under the hood and tried to re-angle the direction of the toggle for a more diagonal feel.

Well, doing so shorted out the bridge pickup, so it was necessary to try to remove the toggle and place some electrical tape in the guitar cavity. Eventually, the toggle was removed entirely and then re-soldered back into place. (I did the work myself). The solder job looks terribly fugly and amateurish, so I thought it wise to have the guitar brought in and rewired with a new toggle, capacitor and red lead wires. My hope is that PTC's work will bring the guitar back to looking spanking new and better than what currently exists.

Hopefully, PTC can remove the old toggle, replace the cap, and rewire a new toggle with only the bench fee and parts cost. Am currently awaiting Ryan's instructions as how to send the guitar into PTC. I expect the repair to require 4 to 5 weeks time until the guitar arrives home again safely.

Don't you have a local tech? He should be able to knock that out without a problem for less than shipping.
Yes, but not an authorized one. My local tech's bench is backlogged as well. It's OK, my pref is to let PTC handle the repair and do a good job, rather than the calamity I almost caused with my work. Would prefer to let a qualified/authorized tech handle this and rewire a new toggle compared to the amateurish work I'd tried.

Super simple fix for a local tech. While you are at it upgrade the switch to a Switchcraft.
Already tried.

Switchcraft's are configured differently than the DGT SE switch. Couldn't get it to work, even with the wiring diagrams provided on the PRS website. The white capacitor wire would need to extend over the top of the Switchcraft, and the white wire itself is too short.

Have already received an RMA label from PTC, and will send it out Wednesday afternoon.

Thanks for trying to help make this a simple repair. Have determined that putting things back the way they belonged initially with a new switch, capacitor and wiring will make the job look like it was done by a qualified tech.

My local guy's expertise is acoustic repair, not so much electric, though he's dabbled a little. I'd really prefer to let PTC handle this.

UPDATE:

PRS DGT SE was shipped to PTC 07/22. Ryan @ PTC made sure that I would be informed of any delays or issues regards the repair.

As of 07/28, had received notice that the guitar had been evaluated and would need 2 to 3 weeks lead time because of repair backlogs.

07/29: Message from Ryan:
"Good news. Your PRS DGT SE has been repaired and is sounding better than ever. Apparently, the wiring had been reversed which had caused the functionality issues. The wiring is now corrected. We did not need use any new parts, just rewired the guitar. If you'd like we can ship the guitar back to you with signature confirmation at no cost. Please let us know if you'd like confirmation, and I'll provide tracking numbers once the shipments populate."

Well. How's that for customer service? Took a chance on a warrantied repair, and received what I asked for. This just restores my faith in letting qualified people do the work when necessary.

From Ryan @ PTC regards what the problem was with my DGT SE:

"Hey Bob,

There was a ground wire missing for the bridge, and the wiring to the volume pots was incorrect causing an improper taper and some other grounding issues. All is now working in-spec and you should experience no further issues with the electronics function.

That's about all there was to it! Thanks again and let us know how it plays when you get it back!

Have a great weekend!"

From Ryan @ PTC regards what the problem was with my DGT SE:

"Hey Bob,

There was a ground wire missing for the bridge, and the wiring to the volume pots was incorrect causing an improper taper and some other grounding issues. All is now working in-spec and you should experience no further issues with the electronics function.

That's about all there was to it! Thanks again and let us know how it plays when you get it back!

Have a great weekend!"

Jeez. Cort must've let the new guy wire that one.

Great to hear that PRS took care of you. Always glad to see a company stand behind their products.

@garrett,

Nah,

I spent some time under the hood trying to correct an intermittent bridge pickup. I likely didn't put things back the way they were supposed to be and got the guitar to work, but it was def messed up.

Ryan somehow was able to persuade PTC to repair the guitar at no charge (no cost for shipping/repair/shipping), mostly because I was honest with him and accepted responsibility for the error. Even provided some parts to help defray repair costs. Ryan said no new parts were used and all they did was correct the reversed wiring and ground wiring. Polished some smudge marks, said to keep the parts, the guitar is on its way home, and have a great weekend.

Last edited:
Back