Practice at work

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
I am not sure how many of you have the ability to bring an instrument to work, but I, fortunately, own my own shop and have the option of bringing my guitar in. Normally, I play an old beat up, craigslist special Schecter Gryphon that I picked up for 85 bucks.........it can be bumped around and I don't care much about anything happening to it. But, since I have been using one of my CU22s to rehearse and play out with, I am actually bringing this thing in more often now and just hiding it in the back when not in use. I hadn't played out for a couple of decades until recently so I had quite a bit of apprehension about taking my PRS fiddles out of the house. Now that I take this one to rehearsal all the time, I am much more comfortable bringing in here from time to time.

I keep a little Blackstar amp tucked away under the countertop for when I want to plug in. Heck....If I were to actually be disciplined and USE the down time I have more often, I might actually be pretty good by now. But, alas, it is what it is and sometimes laziness prevails.

Anyway, I was bored today so I broke her out and messed around a bit. :D Thanks for looking.

67506143_10162075783610331_7297608555023040512_n.jpg

68490159_10162075826160331_3033523469745651712_n.jpg

I suppose I could bring in one of mine and the Amplug with earphones but I'd have to take it home every night. Too much night shift traffic in my area to leave it unattended.

People flipped when I brought a big, black, leather couch into my office. The raised eyebrows to a guitar mounted on the wall might be just what the doctor ordered. I’m a rebel, Dottie...
Dude....I don't know you all that well....but a big black couch....and I hope not a movie projector....and Paul Reubens at work MAY not be the most appropriate employment situation if you know what I mean.....lol :p

My boss is a d!ck and never lets me play. He’s always stealing my picks, twisting the knobs, flicking the pup switch, detuning the pegs, and drooling on everything.

But there’s always a guitar out, and occasionally if I give him candy or popsicles I can get a little time in... but then he’s all sticky.

My boss is a d!ck and never lets me play. He’s always stealing my picks, twisting the knobs, flicking the pup switch, detuning the pegs, and drooling on everything.

But there’s always a guitar out, and occasionally if I give him candy or popsicles I can get a little time in... but then he’s all sticky.

I find this so incredibly relate-able right now....

Truth! I saw the popsicle routine work last Friday! Well, for a couple of minutes, anyway. :p

I work from home and my guitars are on the wall next to me with amps behind me. I tend to stay disciplined during the day....although on lunch (when I take one) I might grab one and jam for 30 minutes.

Years ago, I used to make more frequent trips to the office. This other engineer and I were both into building our own tube amps so when ever I came to town, we would both load up various rigs and play throughout the day. Our office was out on the build floor/warehouse, and we could crank things up. Had a drummer and a bassist in another department who would also bring gear in on those days. Cooler of drinks, order in pizza, and play in this massive space. No one ever said a word.....most nights the bosses would buy us food and drink. But those days are gone.....can't get away with it anymore.

My job doesn't allow time for guitar practice. Like some, I'm expected to pull a workshift, and am offered a 15 minute paid break for working 4 hours, a 30 minute unpaid break for working 6 hours, and another 15 minute paid break for working 8 hours. That gives me enough time to sit in the break room and pretend to put together a really difficult jigsaw puzzle that has a picture of a tiger on the box. (I've never completed the jigsaw puzzle)

Yeah. . .like it says under my avatar "AMATEUR guitarist". I never quite put the time into it to make it a profession. You kind of have to be good at it to do that.

I’m not good at guitar. I’m good at keys, and (I hope) very good at writing, arranging and producing.

I basically ‘get by’ on guitar. When I need a great player, I hire one! ;)

Here’s a pro tip: distraction. When I visit a buddy with guitars and kids, I take one or both of my kids. Yes, mine are 27 and 28 years old but were professional camp counselors. Certified and licensed by the state and all that jazz. They are proficient with newborn to late teens, so when there’s a toddler, they spring into action and take over. Then, dad and me can jam and nerd-out while they damage the rest of the house...no additional cost! Once the toddler is worn out beyond consciousness, my boys return to join the nerd-out. Win-win! Plus, I buy lunch, which ain’t cheap with my two.

Here’s a pro tip: distraction. When I visit a buddy with guitars and kids, I take one or both of my kids. Yes, mine are 27 and 28 years old but were professional camp counselors. Certified and licensed by the state and all that jazz. They are proficient with newborn to late teens, so when there’s a toddler, they spring into action and take over. Then, dad and me can jam and nerd-out while they damage the rest of the house...no additional cost! Once the toddler is worn out beyond consciousness, my boys return to join the nerd-out. Win-win! Plus, I buy lunch, which ain’t cheap with my two.

Now I just need to find some young men to wrangle back to my home.... What do you think will work best: Clown outfit, Eagle Scout uniform, or Catholic Priest garb to get them into my van? :confused::eek:o_O

Back