Poor Produced 2019 SE's ?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by donbroco84, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

That's fine. Some people though seem to expect some impossible instrument that somehow is 10x better than their SE because the price point is now in thousands - especially if they are happy with an SE guitar which is great for the money. I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination but I would rather buy the best - even if its only 10% better for a 400% price difference.

Nice Semi-hollow SE you have btw

CyFan4036 likes this.
  2. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 New Member

Same here, and thanks. I assume that the Core i end up with will sound essentially like my SE if it had different pups and upgraded pots. I'll do the pots/ wiring but I don't know about swapping pickups. I like them.

3. alantig

alantig SSBMA

It's all about you. I still have a PM from the early days of the board where @]-[@n$0Ma☩!© said, "You watch - one of these days we'll get a member with a name like Acnestes or Euripides, and then the fun will begin!"

CyFan4036 and bodia like this.
  4. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

I think your biggest surprise will be the wood. I go all the way from SE to core. All good in their own special way, but the core guitar didn’t budge when it’s was over 100 here, and they also hold when it’s cold. There’s also a resonance difference, starting with my S2’s. After 50 years of playing, I’m a big time PRS fanboy. They have the balance from top to bottom that I spent many years looking for.

CyFan4036 and bodia like this.
  5. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

The short answer is no. There is more to it than that and some of it is down to the wood, the way its cured etc. You can probably get to 95% by replacing everything but (and has been proven many times), you cannot get to the 'full' Core by replacing everything (bar the wood) with Core quality parts.

dogrocketp likes this.
  6. Acnestes

Acnestes "If I can do it, it's not art." - Red Green

The Prophecies haunt me wherever I go!

sergiodeblanc, dogrocketp and alantig like this.
  7. Acnestes

How does it stand up to humidity?

8. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

I live in the swamp we call Washington, DC. All of my PRSi do fine in the humidity. The SE’s actually react to 20-30 degree temperature changes. It’s an easy truss rod adjustment which takes about 2 minutes. The S2’s and cores....never. I bought 2 S2’s in 2018. They’re fantastic guitars. The wood quality is as good as my cores (resonance, not aesthetically), and they’re the first ones out to play.

9. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Incredibly well. I'm in Chicago, so we get cold winters and hot humid summers. Big swings in temp, and humidity. The SEs that I had needed a truss rod tweak twice a year. Once in late fall/early winter, and then again late spring/early summer. I don't remember ever needing to adjust the truss rod on any core I've ever owned for temperature/humidity reasons. Sure, I've adjusted them, but for my own taste, not because they needed to be.

Alnus Rubra, dogrocketp and Acnestes like this.
  10. Acnestes

That is a very strong endorsement. I'm in Boston myself and the swings here right on the ocean can really be a plague.

bodia likes this.