Poor Produced 2019 SE's ?

I purchased a 2018 SE Custom 24 about a month ago, and am quite pleased. The fret work is outstanding. The guitar really resonates with B notes and chords. The top is interesting with the trampas green natural back combo. It had a loose pot and switch, but that was an easy fix. Intonation was within 3 cents on all strings and no fret buzz out of the box. I considered trading up to a CE24, but after playing a couple, I couldn't justify the cost. The wood and the neck are so nice on the Indonesian SE that I can swap components to bridge the gap and still have a set neck and $500 in my pocket (used PRRI? stomp spree?).

After reading the reviews on this forum of the Cor-Tek SEs, I really tried to hate this guitar, but I just can't help but like it. I just need to snag some 59/09s for it, and make a decision on the bridge (that Wudtone A/B video is powerful stuff).
If I were to swap the bridge on an SE to anything other than the Core PRS trem, it'd be the Mannmade bridge.

If I were to swap the bridge on an SE to anything other than the Core PRS trem, it'd be the Mannmade bridge.
I put a Mannmade Milcom on my SE CU 24 because the original had been decked under full tension by the first owner, and the pivot holes were elliptical. And it was a 6 month old guitar. I’ll never understand why people setup PRSi like Fenders. The mannmade is da bomb.

I recently (last week) purchased a Zach Myers. The bridge well on the bass side was protruding 1/16" out of the body. PRS tech support told me to tap it back in, which I did, no prob, but.... THEN,
01C.jpg

02c.jpg

03c.jpg

04c.jpg

I have an Indonesian Ibanez AM93QM that's literally perfect. It was $650. This PRS cost $800. This will be the last of my 4 PRS SE guitars. Think I'll go with the cheaper seats. I've lost confidence in their QC and in Sweetwater's 51 point inspection.

It seems to me that a lot of the disappointments that are vented on the forum stem from the fact that there are some unrealistic expectations floating around about SE's, i.e., that they're all going to meet the same standards as a Core model. Well, some of them might! But for the most part, it might be a better idea to approach them just like you would an Epiphone in the same price range.
A $1000 Epiphone is one hell of an instrument these days and generally had minor if any flaws. Your condescending tone just pisses people off, especially me. If people can’t build something right then don’t build the damn thing. SE buyers have EVERY right to expect perfection you snob! They’re charging a grand for something they likely have under $200 into. Btw, I’ve read quite a few QC issue with Core models as well. They shouldn’t be upset though, it’s not like they’re Wood Library or Private Stock.

Last edited:
The Return-of, the Son-of,......:rolleyes:
I’m so sorry that you feel like other people can’t have opinions that conflict with yours. Maybe someone could invent a medium in which that was possible...maybe they could call them, I don’t know...a forum. o_Oo_O

Hello all... I recently made a long post (5 parts) on the "Korea Vs Indonesia" thread which speaks about my very recent "not so good" experience with two 2019 PRS SE CU24, one from Indonesia and the other from Korea. If you're interested you can read it on page 9 of the thread HERE:

I'm currently waiting for a 3rd unit and crossing my fingers that this will be a good one. Somehow I'm feeling disappointed that after reading hundreds of reviews about what great value PRS SE were, I have not had a great experience yet with the ones I've ordered.

Hello all... I recently made a long post (5 parts) on the "Korea Vs Indonesia" thread which speaks about my very recent "not so good" experience with two 2019 PRS SE CU24, one from Indonesia and the other from Korea. If you're interested you can read it on page 9 of the thread HERE:

I'm currently waiting for a 3rd unit and crossing my fingers that this will be a good one. Somehow I'm feeling disappointed that after reading hundreds of reviews about what great value PRS SE were, I have not had a great experience yet with the ones I've ordered.
I would definitely be disappointed if I were in your position as well. Law of averages dictates the third should be a winner. If it isn’t then there is something more to talk about in the way of QC lacking on PRS SE’s these days.

A $1000 Epiphone is one hell of an instrument these days and generally had minor if any flaws. Your condescending tone just pisses people off, especially me. If people can’t build something right then don’t build the damn thing. SE buyers have EVERY right to expect perfection you snob! They’re charging a grand for something they likely have under $200 into. Btw, I’ve read quite a few QC issue with Core models as well. They shouldn’t be upset though, it’s not like they’re Wood Library or Private Stock.

Drew? Is that you, Drew?

1. That's not how probability works. In fact, the Law of Averages is a misconception commonly refereed to as the Gambler's Fallacy. It is based on a misinterpretation of the Law of Large Numbers.
  2. Although I agree that some SE's are not perfect I honestly don't see the point on getting worked up over people's positive experience with them. I personally prefer and am fortunate to be able to spend more on a S2 or a Core guitar, but that's just me. I've played some great SE's and I think they are fairly priced conditional on what's available around a similar price point by other manufacturers. I personally prefer the newer SE's because the one's I've played so far had better slotted nuts, at least among the small sample I got to actually play. Maybe, I've been lucky or perhaps I'm "biased" by my priorities. I don't value so much cosmetic perfection as I value playability, tuning stability, sound and comfort. The thing is, which is the reason I like Maryland made PRSi so much, is that I'm able to have both. Personally, regarding OP's guitar, I would have returned it, because I view the frets over bird inlays too severe to accept it under minor cosmetic issues for that price point.
  3. This is a PRS forum, hosted by the company. I've been open about not playing PRS guitars exclusively and I personally never felt discriminated or have my opinion disregarded for that. Quite the contrary. I have plenty of nice things to say about other guitar makers, but I try to focus more on the plethora of good things that I have to say about PRS. However, that doesn't mean turning a blind eye for the very few times I've seen where PRS could have done better. The thing is that the one time that I did see something that didn't achieve absolute perfection among Maryland made guitars, PRS' customer service jumped in to make things right with outstanding timing. That didn't even happen to me, but to someone else. Given that this is a PRS forum, hosted by PRS where the majority of the members have positive experience with PRS guitars and customer service, it isn't one bit surprising that most of us are fans of the guitars the company make and will jump in to defend them.

1. That's not how probability works. In fact, the Law of Averages is a misconception commonly refereed to as the Gambler's Fallacy. It is based on a misinterpretation of the Law of Large Numbers.
  2. Although I agree that some SE's are not perfect I honestly don't see the point on getting worked up over people's positive experience with them. I personally prefer and am fortunate to be able to spend more on a S2 or a Core guitar, but that's just me. I've played some great SE's and I think they are fairly priced conditional on what's available around a similar price point by other manufacturers. I personally prefer the newer SE's because the one's I've played so far had better slotted nuts, at least among the small sample I got to actually play. Maybe, I've been lucky or perhaps I'm "biased" by my priorities. I don't value so much cosmetic perfection as I value playability, tuning stability, sound and comfort. The thing is, which is the reason I like Maryland made PRSi so much, is that I'm able to have both. Personally, regarding OP's guitar, I would have returned it, because I view the frets over bird inlays too severe to accept it under minor cosmetic issues for that price point.
  3. This is a PRS forum, hosted by the company. I've been open about not playing PRS guitars exclusively and I personally never felt discriminated or have my opinion disregarded for that. Quite the contrary. I have plenty of nice things to say about other guitar makers, but I try to focus more on the plethora of good things that I have to say about PRS. However, that doesn't mean turning a blind eye for the very few times I've seen where PRS could have done better. The thing is that the one time that I did see something that didn't achieve absolute perfection among Maryland made guitars, PRS' customer service jumped in to make things right with outstanding timing. That didn't even happen to me, but to someone else. Given that this is a PRS forum, hosted by PRS where the majority of the members have positive experience with PRS guitars and customer service, it isn't one bit surprising that most of us are fans of the guitars the company make and will jump in to defend them.
1. It’s called empathy, a human emotion which allows one to relate more closely with another’s less fortunate experience. I was simply wanting to help the guy feel better by commiserating.
2. It’s a fallacy that all players who buy PRS SE guitars do so only because they can’t afford more expensive guitars. IMO the S2 is a ridiculous waste of money given the only tangible difference is that it’s assembled in Maryland. Ones own vanity is the only reason for an S2, imo. I own guitars that are considerably more expensive and well into Core territory, as I’m sure other SE owners do.
3. Tediously demonstrated by several members.

Ingredients
  • 12 white sandwich bread slices (such as Wonder Bread)
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup (2 oz.) unsalted butter, melted, divided
  • 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup (about 3 oz.) powdered sugar
  • 2 cups whipped cream
  • 1 cup grape jelly
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1/3 cup chopped peanuts
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
How to Make It
Step 1
Preheat oven to 325°F. Trim crusts from bread. Set aside half of crusts; discard remaining crusts or reserve for another use. Using a rolling pin, flatten each bread slice. Layer flattened bread slices inside a 9-inch pie pan to cover bottom and sides.

Step 2
Stir together granulated sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Stir together 2 tablespoons of the melted butter and half of the cinnamon-sugar in a small bowl; brush mixture over bread slices. Bake in preheated oven until lightly golden and dry, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool completely, about 20 minutes.

Step 3
Beat peanut butter, cream cheese, and powdered sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in whipped cream. Spread half of peanut butter mixture in cooled crust. Chill 20 minutes.

Step 4
Meanwhile, place jelly in a small saucepan. Cook over medium, whisking constantly, until smooth. Stir together cornstarch and water in a small bowl; add to jelly, and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.

Step 5
Pulse reserved crusts in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Stir together chopped crusts, peanuts, salt, and remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter and cinnamon-sugar mixture in a medium bowl. Spread mixture evenly on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 325°F until golden brown, about 10 minutes.

Step 6
Pour cooled jelly mixture over pie, and top evenly with remaining peanut butter mixture. Sprinkle evenly with crust mixture. Refrigerate until set, about 4 hours

1. It’s called empathy, a human emotion which allows one to relate more closely with another’s less fortunate experience. I was simply wanting to help the guy feel better by commiserating.
2. It’s a fallacy that all players who buy PRS SE guitars do so only because they can’t afford more expensive guitars. IMO the S2 is a ridiculous waste of money given the only tangible difference is that it’s assembled in Maryland. Ones own vanity is the only reason for an S2, imo. I own guitars that are considerably more expensive and well into Core territory, as I’m sure other SE owners do.
3. Tediously demonstrated by several members.

I see. Yes it sucks buying an expensive article only to find cosmetic flaws. I don’t only empathize, but sympathize as well. I’ve spent several years with the same Samick Gregg Bennett $300 guitar, because I couldn’t afford anything better.

An S2 is not an SE made in Maryland. The neck construction is different (“one” piece neck with a glued on heel and headstock), the fret wire is different, the wood drying process is different and I never picked up an S2 to find a less than perfect slotted nut. Granted, cosmetically the SE’s look superior, but in terms of construction and attention to detail, they don’t come even close to an S2. You might think it’s a waste of money, but I’d rather have an s2 with 5 years of heavy usage than a sparkling new SE, provided the s2 doesn’t have any structural problem, like a warped neck, and there is still a long ways till it needs a refret job.

What is a fallacy is the Law of Averages. Probability doesn’t follow the Gamblers Fallacy (aka Law of averages).

Yikes, this thread is getting pricklier than the cactus garden I wandered into in Mojave!

Some of you have posted things that, yes, absolutely should be addressed. Others... hey, I’m not saying you haven’t found cosmetic imperfections, but may I give the following advice: Don’t throw away a wonderful instrument over a tiny flaw. Everyone is talking about is this perfect, how can I live with this visual issue... but have you played the dang thing to see if you love it? Isn’t that the point?

Yes, even SE’s are “expensive” compared to other imports. But keep in mind what you’re getting, at least what I’ve found to be the case - at the core of the instrument, much better fretwork, intonation, stability, resonance, sustain, and depth of tone. Nothing in the Fender/Squier or Gibson/Epi lines under $1500, that I’ve tried, can consistently hold a candle to PRS in those areas, not even close. And that’s not even considering cosmetics - have we all seen the sloppy binding joints on an LP, at the neck/headstock joint? The sloppy nibs? The stain on the binding? Fender and Epi, the sharp fret ends? Massive gaps fixed with filler around the inlays on an Epi? I’ve seen all of that, but never on an SE. Am I saying it couldn’t, or hasn’t happened? Certainly not. But let’s not kid ourselves when we talk about SE QC, it could be far, far worse on a collective basis, you aren’t just going to go out and magically find something else with no tiny imperfections on a whim.

Now, if your SE guitar has a legitimate, irresolvable functional issue, of course, return or exchange it!!! PRS and/or your dealer will work with you. Same for a big, glaring cosmetic issue. But, at some point, don’t we have to accept that these aren’t iPhones that can be made with tolerances undetectable by the human eye? They’re made of wood, in some parts of the process by hand, which is going to have innate or created visual “imperfections.” And, although our PRS guitars are known for their beauty, isn’t the tone, playability and function what makes them most special?

I know this comes across as a dig, but I would be missing out on some killer guitars if I let every little thing get under my skin. I guarantee you could go into my collection of PRS guitars and find a “flaw” in every single one if you look for a few minutes. Then again, I think you could do that with almost any guitar collection. Let me tell you what flaws some of mine have had, but you must also hear their strengths:

SE Akesson: minor clear coat runs on sides, neck pickup rattled in its mounting. Padded under the pickup, ignore the clear coat runs. Most ballsy singlecut I’ve ever played and I could never part with it.
SE A30E: has a big chip in the nut, plays perfectly and sounds amazing, I ignore it.
S2 CU22 Semi Hollow: Clear coat separated from the edges of the fretboard in a few places. Sanded it down gently and got on with life. Selector switch crapped out, with plenty of warning beforehand, soldered in a new one myself, $30. Fits in a mellow live mix like Cinderella’s foot in the glass slipper.
Core Mira 25th: odd light spot on the edge of the rosewood headstock veneer that makes it look chipped from a distance. Again slight clear coat separation at the fretboard edges, and again, I persevere with life and have found inner peace.

I have other SE’s and S2’s, but these ones I’ve mentioned are my favorites, even with their flaws. Personally, I think some of you guys are dismissing great instruments because you let your eyes alone judge them. It’s a slippery slope if you go there, few guitars are truly perfect. So, if your ZM has a stud well you had to adjust, and some semi-microscopic... I hesitate to even call them dings... don’t you think you’ll put a bigger dent in it yourself in a few weeks anyways? Play it man. Fret wire over your inlay? Be honest, you didn’t know what bird it was in the first place (ok, ok, I kid, I kinda get that one... but I’d still play it). If the guitar sings, you’ll ignore that stuff after a few weeks. Get your dealer to give you a credit for the issues. It’s not wrong to appreciate perfection, but demanding it before you can be happy is the path to ruin.

I personally prefer and am fortunate to be able to spend more on a S2 or a Core guitar, but that's just me. I've played some great SE's and I think they are fairly priced conditional on what's available around a similar price point by other manufacturers. I personally prefer the newer SE's because the one's I've played so far had better slotted nuts, at least among the small sample I got to actually play. Maybe, I've been lucky or perhaps I'm "biased" by my priorities. I don't value so much cosmetic perfection as I value playability, tuning stability, sound and comfort. The thing is, which is the reason I like Maryland made PRSi so much, is that I'm able to have both. Personally, regarding OP's guitar, I would have returned it, because I view the frets over bird inlays too severe to accept it under minor cosmetic issues for that price point.

+1

I’ve owned 5 SE’s, still have 4 of them. The nuts have gotten better. All my SE electrics are Korean made, but I’ve been overwhelmingly impressed by the new Cortek guitars I’ve played, which kind of surprised me.

Yeah... kind of. I have and still would buy certain SE’s even though I can afford more. But I can distinctly hear a difference between an S2 and SE of similar spec... for example, the Custom 22 Semi Hollows. The S2 has a much thinner finish, and a mahogany neck (vs maple on the SE) and the S2 sounds massive in comparison. Also, the S2 satins are not that much more expensive than an SE, but they sound very different, if you’ve not tried them side by side yet, you should. The satins are very open and resonant, the SE’s almost sound like they’re coated in plastic by comparison because, well... they kind of are. And, I think going for the very plain, fast-wearing satin guitar instead of the bird and flame adorned SE is kind of the opposite of vanity, in some ways. On the other hand, I grabbed a ZM because I really liked it, even more than an S2 Singlecut Semi.

Back