[POLL] Keep the 3 way toggle or revert back to 5 way rotary?

3 Way Toggle vs 5 Way Rotary

• Total voters

RickG

I recently acquired my first PRS guitar - a 1993 CE24. It has been converted from a 5 way rotary to a traditional 3 way LP style switch.

Should I revert it back to 5 way or keep the toggle switch? I know I could add coil split pots, but I'm not really interested in split sounds as much as I am the "in-between" type sounds from a 5 way. My Les Pauls have coil split push/pulls and I never use it. I might actually use some classic S type sounds though.

You should hear about some of the stuff Sergio has tried.

Wild.

PotZUVS.jpg

I have a Freeway Switch in my SCT now, it does take a bit of getting used to, I am a fan so far :)
I went with the simple splits with the Mira pickups I now have in the SCT
They can also be had at Stew Mac

Everyone should experience the original design Paul intended. It is one of the quintessential PRS experiences. And, all of the sounds simply work. Personally, I prefer the 3-way with push-pulls for a gigging instrument, but once that requirement dissipates, I’m going back to the 5-way. Just my $.02.

i prefer as many combinations as possible... I've considered 6 way rotary, and that crazy switch referenced previously as well...

I'm the biggest opponent of the rotary. I've tried them but they just aren't practical (for me) in a live setting where you need to flip between settings quickly and easily.

First question...Do you play out? If the answer is "yes" keep the toggle. If the answer is "no" then go for the rotary.

Second question...Do you need the sounds offered by the rotary? If the answer is "yes" then go for the rotary. If the answer is no, keep the toggle.

Third question...Do you just want to put the guitar back to stock? If the answer is "yes" then do it!!

Now, here's my take.

The guitar pictured is a CU22 with a rotary. I used this guitar live A LOT. The rotary was never an issue because I basically only use the bridge OR neck pickup live. I never bothered with the in-between stuff because the music was "heavy".

Talking the same CU22, when I am recording and I want single coil tones, I find I grab my EG 3 or my Brent Mason. Why? Well, I find the single coil sounds on the CU22 to be too "funky". It's hard to explain, other than using the word funky, as in "good for funk music". It's not a bad sound, it just doesn't work for my needs. However, I decided not to change it to the toggle because, like Boogie said:

Everyone should experience the original design Paul intended.

In the end it really comes down to your individual needs and desires. There are plusses and minuses to both. We can guide, but you gotta do what you want to do.

I’m surprised by the number of votes for the five way. I like it ok, but I like the visual of the toggle and knowing the setting.

I’m surprised since people like the 5 way that we don’t see it more often on PSs.

Last edited:
Just a warning too, if you do go fully original with the rotary, they're expensive. I went on a spree of buying up earlier parts like tuners (winged as ordained by Brother Sergio), tuner buttons, sweet switches, etc. last year and the cheapest rotary I found was $75. Crazy since so many people absolutely hate them, but I've seen them going for $100+ in the last year or so. If you do go that way, search for a bit for a decent price before you buy.

An oft overlooked mod is a bass cut - https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21112-three-must-try-guitar-wiring-mods. Not quite a practical when you only have two pots (concentric pots to the rescue), but works a charm with three knob guitars.

I use an EQ pedal as a bass cut sometimes. It’s a really great thing, and I don’t have to screw around with rewiring.

So easy. Put it on the pedalboard, cut the bass a little, boom! Done!

I also use EQ to otherwise modify the tone of my guitars in addition to the usual suspect switching positions. For the life of me I can’t understand why everyone doesn’t use one to tweak the tone.

I use an EQ pedal as a bass cut sometimes. It’s a really great thing, and I don’t have to screw around with rewiring.

So easy. Put it on the pedalboard, cut the bass a little, boom! Done!

I also use EQ to otherwise modify the tone of my guitars in addition to the usual suspect switching positions. For the life of me I can’t understand why everyone doesn’t use one to tweak the tone.
But if you really want to cut that bass...:

Back