Picks/Plectrums Discussion

While I'm always game to try new stuff, I usually gravitate back to Ultex Jazz IIIs (427P). Love the shape and material, and at 1.38mm they're pretty much the ideal thickness for most of my pursuits. Good, crisp attack, without feeling like I'm wielding a doorstop.

For certain rhythm-oriented stuff or where more flexibility is desired I still go through plenty of Tortex Jazz picks in .60, .73, & .88mm. Recently I've added Primetone Jazz III XLs in .88mm as well and have been quite pleased with them.

I have lots of pics and have been trying them for years. My take is that it depends on what type player you are, what guitars you're playing, your STYLE of playing and then you start making all the fine points. Where you pick on the strings matters an lot, but can be changed to suit a type of pick. Softer pics can feel better, thick rounded pics are faster. If you're a fast picker at all, something like the Vpicks will really let you fly, but at the expense of the "clicky" sound they make that I eventually decided wasn't worth the blazing speed. Tortex pics are more "neutral" sounding in general. Plastic pics "sound" plastic to me (usually). Etc...

My all around "go to" is a green jazz tortex. I like the John Petrucci pick. When I was my best as a player, I used the very small Odessa and Clayton nylon pics. I HATE anything bigger than jazz size. Too clunky for me when I'm jumping around strings. So I never ever use a full sized pick, even though I have some and may strum my Taylors with them in a pinch. Lots more to say. Deep subject. Don't want to ramble. I did a little demo on the sound of some picks one time, while speed picking, but I lost it in a computer crash.

Oh, my absolute #1 for acoustic any time I'm not going to be picking fast, Red Tortex jazz size, pointed tip 50. The notes just BOUNCE off my Taylors with that pick, It literally makes your acoustic guitar sound better, but no DiMeola stuff with it. Too soft. But for even medium speed picking or strumming HANDS DOWN THE pick to have for acoustics. IMHO, consult your physician for .... (I actually demonstrated that in the pick tone demo I did and every single person who listened agreed with the tone being better with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you buy the Tortex or Primetone version of the AAL picks?
I got the green Primetone ones and the black with gold bars Javier Reyes ones. I actually have the John Petrucci ones, too. But my friend hasn't steered me wrong yet, so I'm going to follow his advice and stick with a middlin' thickness. So either a regular Tortex one, or an AAL Javier Reyes one. For now, until I get over this rut and start practicing regularly.

I've used Altoids tins and Newman's Own tins and Vermints tins, but my new favourite is the Altoids Arctic tins (opens on one of the narrower surfaces) -- it seems more secure, and less dusty.

I think it was Bodia who inspired me to do something similar. Just have to get the cigar boxes from my mother-in-law's. I have her saving three for me - thinking about doing a cigar box amp kit w/one.

My favorite picks are either the COOL Juratex Jazz or a Dunlop Gel cut into the shape of a Jazz III

I think it was Bodia who inspired me to do something similar. Just have to get the cigar boxes from my mother-in-law's. I have her saving three for me - thinking about doing a cigar box amp kit w/one.

I can't take credit. I stole the idea from HuggyB.

I recently bought an assortment pack of Gravity Picks in various stlyes and thicknesses. They are expensive at $29 for 8 picks, but I find I am liking them a lot! They seem to get a tacky feel when they warm to your body temp. Since my purchase I have not dropped any "seeds" on my guitar brothers basement "pick" farm. I have a PRS Brent Mason, a '69 Gibson Custom SG, and a Taylor 324ce and I can get many different tones out of the different picks.

I know......The gold Gravity picks are about $29 each, depending on style and thickness. I guess in general we players will do what we need to in order to get what we hear to our fingers!

After a lengthy search myself. I have setttled on Dunlop Ultex Standard .6. Very versatile, and they seem to stick to my fingers.

walrus

This was discussed in two threads, so I'm posting it in both.

I finally finished my version of this earlier this week (just before I walked out the door for King Crimson, in fact).

acebox.jpg

To my wife's surprise, I actually excelled in the length department for once - I wasn't sure how to glue the rubber in for the mats, but I cut them to the right length such that they fit w/no glue. I found the Ace Frehley pic from an old string pack and decided to glue that over the metal logo plate.

One side effect - I originally cut one of the pieces of mat too long, so I had to cut another. Looking at it, I thought it would make a nice standalone holder for the top of my desk, so I think I'm going to cut another piece a bit longer and use it for that. The only flaw is it's pretty light - a nice fretboard blank to glue onto would be cool. I'm going to have to look into that.

This was discussed in two threads, so I'm posting it in both.

I finally finished my version of this earlier this week (just before I walked out the door for King Crimson, in fact).

acebox.jpg

To my wife's surprise, I actually excelled in the length department for once - I wasn't sure how to glue the rubber in for the mats, but I cut them to the right length such that they fit w/no glue. I found the Ace Frehley pic from an old string pack and decided to glue that over the metal logo plate.

One side effect - I originally cut one of the pieces of mat too long, so I had to cut another. Looking at it, I thought it would make a nice standalone holder for the top of my desk, so I think I'm going to cut another piece a bit longer and use it for that. The only flaw is it's pretty light - a nice fretboard blank to glue onto would be cool. I'm going to have to look into that.

Funny I have been going thinner on my picks always used good Mediums or Medium heavy Fender picks ( or Guild way back when ) Then I started using Pickboy Rainbow .73 or 1.00 for many years lately and lately I have gone even thinner Dunlop .60 Tortex Standard , I do use the back corner most of the time also

Outstnding idea! I've been looking at some handcrafted wood boxes with drawers that are shaped like an acoustic. A little pricey, but very nice. Sorry , I did not take any pics.

I posted in August that I was using Dunlop Ultex Standard .6 picks.

Well, by chance I tried the same pick in the rounded triangle shape - love it! For some reason the larger size feels even more comfortable...

Back