Picks/Plectrums Discussion

I spent the last couple of months using nothing but a Red Bear Classic Special XH. I really like it, but with my picking style it gets a little chirpy. This week, I started using a Red Winspear Shiv that came in the Shiv IV bundle pack. It's thicker than the Red Bear, and I kind of like that. Going back to a regular Dunlop Ultex .73 pick and comparing the 3, I would say that I notice my grip lightening as the pick gets thicker. Less hand cramps, or discomfort. I also am not noticing the chirpiness with the Winspear. I'll use it for a couple of months, and then give something else in the collection a try.

I spent the last couple of months using nothing but a Red Bear Classic Special XH. I really like it, but with my picking style it gets a little chirpy. This week, I started using a Red Winspear Shiv that came in the Shiv IV bundle pack. It's thicker than the Red Bear, and I kind of like that. Going back to a regular Dunlop Ultex .73 pick and comparing the 3, I would say that I notice my grip lightening as the pick gets thicker. Less hand cramps, or discomfort. I also am not noticing the chirpiness with the Winspear. I'll use it for a couple of months, and then give something else in the collection a try.
Yeah, I notice the comfort most of all. Mine is a little over 4mm thick in the center, and wow. It's nearly effortless to grip, which makes it much easier to focus on what I'm doing with it. I might give those Red Bears a go if they have something similar to this V-Pick.

Oh plectrums! I had a look and mostly it’s Dunlop purple tortex 1.14 mm in various states of decrepitude. I even seem to have acquired a couple of fakes – how did that happen (and more importantly why would you even bother copying a plectrum)?

The other ones are (possibly) more interesting.

The big one is a freebie from John Mann’s Guitar Vault from when I ordered some stuff from there (I have another one somewhere that’s currently missing in action). I really like it and have used it a fair bit although it’s quite a bit thicker than I’d normally use.

The black looking one is an American Standard tortoise shell celluloid pick by D'Andrea that must be at least 30 years old - I found it wedged under the pick guard of an old Kay guitar I haven’t really used since the 1980s. I’m assuming I’d put it there, if not it’s even older. I’m cheap so it’s been in everyday use on one of my PRS since I rediscovered it a while back.

The last one is my favourite (can you have a favourite pick?). It’s actually a KISS Gene Simmons pick that I found as a student back in about 1986, now with all the text/printing worn off. So again, well over 30 years old. The edges are all worn too so it’s looking pretty sorry for itself. I’d put it of the way so I didn’t lose it but having just found it again it’s now back sitting under the strings of my other PRS.

Who knew picks could be so exciting?

Those are purple Delrin picks, not tortex, right? I love how the thinner Delrins sound, but I can't get used to the thicker Delrins - I wanted to - the "feel" of that material is great IMHO.

The last several years I've used Dunlop Ultex .6 triangle picks.

Those are purple Delrin picks, not tortex, right? I love how the thinner Delrins sound, but I can't get used to the thicker Delrins - I wanted to - the "feel" of that material is great IMHO.

The last several years I've used Dunlop Ultex .6 triangle picks.
The six together are all Dunlop purple tortex 1.14 mm. The two darker purple ones don't have any printing on them so are copies that I must have picked up thinking they were tortex, which is what I normally buy. I've no idea what they're made of but they look and feel the same as the Dunlop tortex ones.

Actually I'm glad I'm not using ones made out of tortoises - cool little critters that they are. It always bothered me thinking they'd get cold without their shells just so I could have some nice guitar picks.

100% agreed! To be honest, I'm enough of an animal lover at this point that I'd just go fingerstyle if things were that way. ;)

I'm back to being hooked on the 482R ... so comfy.

100% agreed! To be honest, I'm enough of an animal lover at this point that I'd just go fingerstyle if things were that way. ;)

Hmmm ... I feel (*only a little) guilty:oops: that I have some real T-shell picks, ...... ...... but only a little cause they were from the 60's before the ban;).

I was the one that did a bunch of boutique pick reviews and this is where I ended up:
-easiest playing- V-picks B-flat model - like silk over the strings.
-most articulate- Dragon heart - Don't like the shape but the tip/edge and material is top notch
-best tone - Real T-shell - Like I said I don't feel that guilty to use them but I only do when I need to record a clean jazz thing with superior tone, only have 2 left and don't use them for casual jamming or practice. They are not as articulate or fast compared to some of the new stuff like Blue chip or Winspear so they have their advantages and disadvantages, but the tone just has a richness others don't have.

Fact is the poor hawksbill sea turtle shell was used in tons of items like brushes, combs, jewelry, and even lampshades, so I think guitar picks was a small part of the problem for the poor fellas. I've read they are having a good rebound since the ban, so that's a good thing.:)

Last edited:
That pick the OP showed looks pretty sweet. I use a bit of an oddball...

I have used the Fender 358 for almost 30 years. I have gotten to the point where the pick and the corner of my right index finger work together to help me create my tone. In fact, the inside edge of my right index nail curves up from the middle of the nail over to that inside edge. It's weird, but kinda cool. Using any other pic just feels too weird and uncomfortable for me....

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/098-0358-300

Just picked up a couple of Winspear ones. a couple of there amber standards and a "broadsword" and icegrip shiv. pretty good little picks to be honest, I've been using 1mm Dunlop tortex's for basically my entire guitar playing life but recently I have been experimenting a bit. I'm really liking Ultex at the moment too, got some of the James Hetfield ones. But I think I'm going to dabble more in the varieties winspear has to offer as I'm blown away by them. I never thought a pick could make such an impact on how much I enjoy playing.

Actually I'm glad I'm not using ones made out of tortoises - cool little critters that they are. It always bothered me thinking they'd get cold without their shells just so I could have some nice guitar picks.
Actually, the higher end tortoise shell pick makers are more environmentally friendly. I think they used to weave them little sweaters to wear, but now have gone high tech and are giving them Columbia soft shell jackets. Best of all worlds. Warm, waterproof, can take them off for turtle naughty time.

Actually, the higher end tortoise shell pick makers are more environmentally friendly. I think they used to weave them little sweaters to wear, but now have gone high tech and are giving them Columbia soft shell jackets. Best of all worlds. Warm, waterproof, can take them off for turtle naughty time.

I'm really pleased to hear we're finally looking after the little critters! And isn't progress a wonderful thing? Swimming in a wet wooly jumper is really hard work so I bet they love their new Columbia soft shell jackets:) And I don't even want to think what 'turtle naughty time' might be:eek: I'm guessing it's when they haul themselves up off the beach and go rob a bank. But that's just a guess.

I believe those are Delrin 500s.

Comparo: 418R vs 41R

Thanks Flux - I went and bought some Tortex ones at the weekend and am now trying those. I'm genuinely shocked just how many different pics Dunlop alone offer! My initial verdict is the Tortex are 'stickier' than the Delrin ones I've been using. (And a bit bigger too). I think some pre-production PRS used Delrin for their nuts and Delrin was a bit too hard / slippery to cut hence it not being used the production guitars that came just after. So the Tortex seeming stickier makes sense.

Thanks Flux - I went and bought some Tortex ones at the weekend and am now trying those. I'm genuinely shocked just how many different pics Dunlop alone offer! My initial verdict is the Tortex are 'stickier' than the Delrin ones I've been using. (And a bit bigger too). I think some pre-production PRS used Delrin for their nuts and Delrin was a bit too hard / slippery to cut hence it not being used the production guitars that came just after. So the Tortex seeming stickier makes sense.

As I said previously in this thread, I’ve taken to using Dunlop TeckPicks for the last two years. They are sold as brass, but I believe they are an aluminium/brass composite.

Not everyone’s taste, but they suit my style of playing, so I’ve stuck with them.
Nylon plectrums feel too pliable now for me.

As I said previously in this thread, I’ve taken to using Dunlop TeckPicks for the last two years. They are sold as brass, but I believe they are an aluminium/brass composite.

I've used coins occasionally (like Brian May!) but not much as I'm always worried about taking big chunks out of my guitars. How do the TeckPicks hold up for that - do they divot your guitars? Oh and described as 'aerospace anodized aluminum' on the Dunlop site. Also says they provide a sharp, brilliant tone.

Thanks walrus - yes you're right they're Delrin:eek: No idea why I though they were Tortex other than they also have a tortoise logo on them (I hadn't clocked to 500 logo above the tortoise). Anyway I bought some Tortex ones at the weekend to try. When I'm bored with those I'll possibly try some Ultex although looking online just now I think I prefer the tortoise logo compared to the rhino, and these things matter;) As mentioned in another post I can't believe just how many different designs of Dunlop plectrums there are.

I've used coins occasionally (like Brian May!) but not much as I'm always worried about taking big chunks out of my guitars. How do the TeckPicks hold up for that - do they divot your guitars? Oh and described as 'aerospace anodized aluminum' on the Dunlop site. Also says they provide a sharp, brilliant tone.
They take some getting used to, great for triplets and fast picking once you do!

My S style has marks in the lacquer, mainly because of the height of the strings over the body. But my other electric has the strings much higher on the body due to design and so it’s not an issue.

If you want I’ll send you one to try, I just re-stocked as they can be pricey and hard to source sometimes.

[QUOTE="Alnus Rubra, post: 365903, member: 19844"If you want I’ll send you one to try, I just re-stocked as they can be pricey and hard to source sometimes.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the offer Alnus Rubra, very generous and much appreciated:) However I'll stick with experimenting with Tortex at the moment as the Dunlop site says TeckPicks 'provide a sharp, brilliant tone', which is probably the last thing you'd want with PRS guitars fitted with T&B pickups like mine. They do that already:eek:

Back