Pernambuco vs. Chaltecoco Pernambuco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for voicing the concerns, Hans. I will be interested to see what the reply is.

What is great about this forum, and about Hans', James', Jamie's and Shawn's stewardship in particular, is that all points of view are allowed to be expressed, and that PRS takes notice.

Whatever the outcome of this issue, I think it's great that a meeting happened and that these various points of view are being discussed.

Good work, Hans!

First of all, let me start by saying I apologize for any confusion. It was not my intention to mislead or confuse anyone. We have changed all references on our site to reflect Chaltecoco and Pernambuco as two separate specifications. As a back story, Pernambuco (Caesalpinia echinata) and Chaltecoco (Caesalpinia velutina) are of the same genus: Caesalpinia. They are different species. These woods sound and work the same, but the color of Chaltecoco is a lighter orange. We are always searching for new, quality tone woods, and we are very pleased to have this wood to make musical instruments. Again, it was not our intention to be misleading, and we have changed all references on our site.

To those customers who have bought guitars with a specification of Pernambuco, that is exactly what you have. The only guitars we have shipped with Chaltecocoa are the international Collection instruments previously listed to have Chaltacocoa/Pernambuco.

As always, I appreciate your support.

Paul

Many thanks for the clarification Paul :)

Thanks also to Hans for representing all us consumers :)

We have changed all references on our site to reflect Chaltecoco and Pernambuco as two separate specifications.

Paul

PERFECT! That is all that needed to be done. :rock:

EDIT: Done from this point forward thats is. I still feel as though PRS was intentionally trying to fool people, which as of today, is still leaving a bad taste in my mouth. :(

Last edited:
The 3rd largest producer of guitars in the USA.....and the founder and chief honcho takes the time personally to address the issue to us guys in less than 48 hours from the moment it became a source of potential controversy.

I am quite favorably impressed. Thank you Mr. Smith for demonstrating the degree of personal concern expressed and displayed here. Agree or disagree....no one can argue about the guy's class. You can argue about his avatar....but as far as class....top notch. The avatar..... well, that's another thread. :)

Thank you Paul. Also a big thank you to Shawn and Hans. You are all class acts. Actions like this go a long way to show just how much you folks care about your customers and the community that has grown around your craft. :beer:

You guys wouldn't keep having these issues if you just realized that CE's are the bestest guitars ever!

The 3rd largest producer of guitars in the USA.....and the founder and chief honcho takes the time personally to address the issue to us guys in less than 48 hours from the moment it became a source of potential controversy.

I am quite favorably impressed. Thank you Mr. Smith for demonstrating the degree of personal concern expressed and displayed here. Agree or disagree....no one can argue about the guy's class. You can argue about his avatar....but as far as class....top notch. The avatar..... well, that's another thread. :)

Well said. And indeed a very remarkable exemple of corporate responsability and commitment to customers.
I am very impressed. Bravo for the candeur.

Wow, I just got done reading 7 pages of this on VR/BAM, and 7 pages over here, I am exhausted! :D Glad the story had a happy ending with Paul setting the record straight.

At the risk of being put in the PRS-Fanboy bucket with Les ;), this sort of stuff hasn't really bothered me over my five years of collecting and enjoying PRSi.

My Eriza Verde Sig Ltd with the "Sinker" Neck had great tone, it was quite something. A lot of it came from the neck wood, you could FEEL it! Altoidman here has that guitar now, he loves it too.

I dug it so much, I spec'ed my Jade PS DC 245 Ted with a Sinker Neck as well, but I got the chance to hand-pick the neck blank, Eric from Willcutt's and Paul himself helped me, and the Jade Glow DC 245 Ted is the best sounding guitar I have ever owned. Do I care that Sinker Mahogany is now called Select Mahogany? Heck no, it sounds AWESOME!

Funny story on my incoming Aquamarine DC 245 Sig, Eric and I had picked a piece of the lightweight Curly Mahogany for the neck, the kind from the Wood Library with the nice figuring like my TGS Earth Cu24. Paul came in and we checked out a bunch more different Mahogany necks, and he was rattling off the names of different species and the stories of where it came from, and we narrowed it down to three or four necks, and then from there narrowed it down to the final two. And then Paul declared, "well, the one you and Eric started with is the best one!" I agreed re tone as well, but so great for Paul to take the time to try a bunch of different ones and help me pick, as a result I felt so much more confident with the selection. That guitar is inbound, can't wait to hear how it sounds!

From my experience over the past five years, I am starting believe the neck species and the individual piece of wood is about the most important selection of wood re tone for a guitar.

Anyway, the point of my story above is that I appreciate Paul's (and his team's) passion for constantly trying to find woods that sound amazing, in a world where supplies run out and it is tough to find new sources of good stuff out there. Is he a Marketeer? Sure, a great one. But take it from a guy who has been through 60 or so PRSi in the past four years, and 5 of those Private Stocks with 4 more PS's on the way, when Paul says something is a premium wood in a special model (like the Sig Ltd) or in the Private Stock Program, it is indeed something special. And I will keep trying out stuff Paul recommends as the best available and my favorite two pushers help me hand-pick.

Will Paul and team be a little more careful in the future after Sinker-gate and this here over the past few days? Likely so. So the concerns expressed here are probably healthy for all in that regard.

(And this is all way better than fake Rosewood Boards from unnamed alternative guitar makers, any day of the week!) ;)

My 2 cents FWIW...

-Pete

At the risk of being put in the PRS-Fanboy bucket with Les ;), this sort of stuff hasn't really bothered me over my five years of collecting and enjoying PRS

Wooden_bucket_zpsd4b6b0d1.jpg

OK...now that the story has a happy ending...who'se gonna tell Paul that his avatar sucks and he needs to change it? (Hans....got that 55th card?) I mean c'mon....you're better than that Paul! :flute:

We need a "Change Paul's Avatar" Thread!!
:biggrin::biggrin:

OK...now that the story has a happy ending...who'se gonna tell Paul that his avatar sucks and he needs to change it? (Hans....got that 55th card?) I mean c'mon....you're better than that Paul! :flute:

We need a "Change Paul's Avatar" Thread!!
:biggrin::biggrin:

"He needs to change it."

"No he doesn't."

"He does."

"No, he doesn't."

"Yes, it needs to go."

"Nope."

"Does."

"Doesn't."

"Needs to change it."

"Change what?"

Status