The PRS of H

Tonart

Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?
Thought I’d do a thread on two very dear and special fiddles. These were once Paul Reed Smith’s personal guitars. Paul’s very own Paul’s Guitars. 6 years separate their build dates.

Apart from the candy factor, what’s interesting is these also reflect Paul’s preferences in build selection. These guitars are really time capsules of sorts.

The lighter one with a “Dirty Violin” stain has a Pernambuco neck, Honduran Rosewood fingerboard with Mammoth Ivory inlays. The darker one with a “Cacao” stain has a Chaltecoco neck, Honduran Rosewood fingerboard with MOP inlays. Both have mahogany backs.

Chaltecoco is from the same family species as Pernambuco. They’re both Paul’s Guitar models (duh). You can see a trend here!

Both have out of ordinary tone, especially the darker one. No hyperbole, just comparing them to my other PRS. I’d like to imagine Paul “tapped the sap” out of those neck blanks when choosing them!

Without further ado, enough of the word torture and here comes the pictorial salvation!
nDpv3JJ.jpg

sWWEFB2.jpg

L0Te71N.jpg
S5Dqnia.jpg

Pih1YoR.jpg

NRvcnUw.jpg

0JRNQ0G.jpg

ozcb7Cm.jpg

c0fj593.jpg

nbqnSM4.jpg

zpXxQmw.png

q6IIXc1.png

Last edited:
Bullseye. It doesn't hit more square into the heart of "PRS" than this. Very cool!

Obviously, the Dirty Violin color is cool--and seems similar to the also-awesome Yellow Tiger. But that second one, the dark one... wow, that's a bit unique. The color is maybe "Cacao" based on what I see in the certificate? That's definitely not the Root Beer or Black Gold tones that you'd typically find.

Bullseye. It doesn't hit more square into the heart of "PRS" than this. Very cool!

Obviously, the Dirty Violin color is cool--and seems similar to the also-awesome Yellow Tiger. But that second one, the dark one... wow, that's a bit unique. The color is maybe "Cacao" based on what I see in the certificate? That's definitely not the Root Beer or Black Gold tones that you'd typically find.
Yes it literally says Cacao in the cert. In the manner of cocoa beans.

Back