Rosewood vs Maple necks?

There's no better or worse. I don't even have a preference!

As long as a guitar turns me on that's all I ask.

My '54 Esquire has a one piece maple neck and I love the way it sounds. Warm but very clear.

My '63 Strat had a maple neck and Brazilian rosewood fingerboard and I loved it too. It had a chewier tone than my Esquire. Kind of a bark to the mids that I don't hear from Indian rosewood.

I love my Mark Jenny parts-o-caster Strat and SE Silver Skys which have maple necks and I guess Indian Rosewood fingerboards. They sound very similar to my '63 Strat...but lack those very subtle chewy mids.

My PRS Custom 22's and 2000 Gibson ES335 are all Honduras Mahogany neck and an Indian Rosewood fingerboard and that's a great sound too.

I guess the only thing I don't like is an all maple body and neck. That just doesn't do it for me. Too bright and focused. Not warm. Almost sterile.

Last edited:
There's no better or worse. I don't even have a preference!

As long as a guitar turns me on that's all I ask.

My '54 Esquire has a one piece maple neck and I love the way it sounds. Warm but very clear.

My '63 Strat had a maple neck and Brazilian rosewood fingerboard and I loved it too. It had a chewier tone than my Esquire. Kind of a bark to the mids that I don't hear from Indian rosewood.

I love my Mark Jenny parts-o-caster Strat and SE Silver Skys which have maple necks and I guess Indian Rosewood fingerboards. They sound very similar to my '63 Strat...but lack those very subtle chewy mids.

My PRS Custom 22's and 2000 Gibson ES335 are all Honduras Mahogany neck and an Indian Rosewood fingerboard and that's a great sound too.

I guess the only thing I don't like is an all maple body and neck. That just doesn't do it for me. Too bright and focused. Not warm. Almost sterile.
Thanks for your reply! very helpful

One small bit of advice from a Luthier and lifetime woodworker .. If you like the rare woods,or guitars with them buy them NOW . Brazillian RW, Cocobolo, Koa to name a few .. The supply is finite and when it's finally exhausted the prices will be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I've seen KOA go up ten fold over a decade, forget about real brazillian, Cocobolo is still around but getting harder and more expensive

The biggest consideration for me is FEEL. I like the dense, slick oiled exotics for that reason. If I had to pick just one, I’d pick Brazilian RW, but I honestly doubt I could distinguish tonal differences between it and other dalbergias. It does seem to sustain longer, but I may just be psyching myself out.

Regardless, for my rock genre, I can make any of them work with the right pickups and amps.

The biggest consideration for me is FEEL. I like the dense, slick oiled exotics for that reason. If I had to pick just one, I’d pick Brazilian RW, but I honestly doubt I could distinguish tonal differences between it and other dalbergias. It does seem to sustain longer, but I may just be psyching myself out.

Regardless, for my rock genre, I can make any of them work with the right pickups and amps.
Thanks for your reply 11

I've guitars in my "collection" (For sure I'm aware of an ongoing thread in this forum...) with different neck materials and combinations:

Neck - Fretboard
Mahogany - rosewood (PRS 513 MT)
Maple - rosewood ("Partscaster"; Rockinger Rudvog)
Maple - maple (Reverend Gristlemaster Greg Koch Signature; Peavey HP2 NOS; Linus Red Scorpion; Linus Paganini violin guitar)
Maple - ebony (PRS SE Mark Holcomb; Linus Custom Thinline)
Rosewood - rosewood (PRS 513 RW)
Basswood (with carbon fibre) - carbon fibre (Parker Fly Deluxe)

I don't really care about the neck material when it comes to the decision, which guitar will be played next. Perhaps I don't even re-adjust amp settings, when using those different guitars.
What counts is the guitar in total.

Last edited:
Back