Pernambuco vs. Chaltecoco Pernambuco

Status
Not open for further replies.

QueenCityGuitars

Vamanos Pest
The new Collection Series VI International Custom 24, and the new Private Stock Paul's Guitar, are advertised as having a "Chaltecoco Pernambuco" neck. Is there a difference between Pernambuco and Chaltecoco Pernambuco?

I emailed Customer Services a little while ago asking the same question! If I get a response before you do, I'll post it here.

Interesting thing....These is a point that should be elucidated in order not to create another "sinkergate" (LOL).
It seems that both are part of the the same genus Caesalpinia. Caesalpinia echinata is Pernambuco wood, also known here in Brazil as "Pau-Brasil" (because its color that resembles a flamed charcoal, in Portuguese - Brasa). Brasil, the country was named after this wood, 5 centuries ago. Chaltecoco seems to be a different species Caesalpinia velutina which growths in Guatemala.
Even if they have same appearance and sonic properties it would be an analog situation of comparing two other "cousins" Brazilian Rosewood (Dalbergia nigra) to Indian Rosewood (Dalbergia latifolia).

Is there no official word from PRS on this? I didn't get a reply to my email to Customer Services, and nothing's been added here.

Shawn?

:dontknow:

The key concern is that (at least on another forum anyway) it has been disclosed that Pernambuco is the choice hi-premuim wood...used in "$25,000 violin bows" while the Chaltecoco has been described as a wood that is (and I quote) "appropriate for fence posts and fire wood".

So...there appears to be a great discrepancy between the quality of the two sub-species with regard to their sonic properties and value. Further information from the "horse's mouth" would be invaluable in preventing another "stinker-gate".

..........Even if they have same appearance and sonic properties it would be an analog situation of comparing two other "cousins" Brazilian Rosewood (Dalbergia nigra) to Indian Rosewood (Dalbergia latifolia).

The early ME-2's had necks that were described as "Dalbergia Nigra" in the specs and it certainly was NOT Brazilian Rosewood...so I am a bit confused by the above.

The ME2s were specced as 'Select Dalbergia Neck & Fretboard': “We’ve found a new kind of black rosewood that we’re using for the necks and fretboards,” said Paul

http://www.dv247.com/news/PRS%20Modern%20Eagle%20II,%20Starla%20and%20Prism%20Guitars/131981
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ModEagle2tRT

Getting back to the pernambuco question, I can only assume that a change of name in the specs means that it is no longer the same pernambuco we've seen before.

My question is whether it's a close cousin within the genus, maybe as per Brazilian Rosewood versus Indian Rosewood, or are they more disparate like a lion and a leopard?

Twinfan.....My error...as posted elsewhere, the correct spec for ME-2's was "Select Dalbergia" so it was NOT BRW but a substitute. Sorry for the incorrect attribution. Still concerned, as "select Dalbergia" certainly was inferior to the BRW we had grown accustomed to in the former run of ME's. So...to maintain the correlation...is the "new pernambuco" just as inferior to the original pernambuco that came so highly priced and higly acclaimed??

This is the question isn't it Doc!

I'd certainly like to know what this new stuff is :)

This is the question isn't it Doc! I'd certainly like to know what this new stuff is :)

Agreed....as someone who shelled out over $2,500 extra for my PS #3340's PB neck...simply because I was told by my dealer at the time that the PB necks were going to be discontinued as soon as the supply ran out...there were a couple neck blanks left for PS specs, and the remainder had been reserved for the collection series....and this was straight from a very reputable dealer who knew about the PB in the collection series at least 8 months before the first one was even released.

So yes...I am very interested in what the quality of the "PB Prime....the "coco-PB" consists of. Especially having paid for the "premium wood" already.

Yep, I paid the preium for my Collection V and my PS SC245. On the SC245, it was a ~£900 upcharge.

I don't think I could have justified that to myself for a "fence post" ;)

As an owner of several Pernambuco Guitars, I agree that PRS needs to provide an explanation/statement. However, I seems like we could show a little patience in waiting for a response. I would think we will hear something by the end of the day. I am certainly sitting in the front row & have some concerns about this. I just don't think it's fair to have a trial without a response from PRS..............

I'm not looking for a trial, I'd just like to see a response to a what was a very straightforward question asked right at the top of this thread here on the offical PRS forum, and in my email to Customer Services:

The new Collection Series VI International Custom 24, and the new Private Stock Paul's Guitar, are advertised as having a "Chaltecoco Pernambuco" neck. Is there a difference between Pernambuco and Chaltecoco Pernambuco?

Here's what makes me kind of scratch my head, guys, and please forgive me.

People have been going on and on about how absolutely great their pernie guitars sound, and how wonderful they are. There have been posts on forums how the notes just jump off the neck, and how lively they are.

Someone posts a statement that the wood being used is suitable only for fence posts that he got off the internet, and suddenly, do the guitars not sound as good now?

It's the same load of BS as the sinker mahogany thing all over again.

I bought a Sig Ltd knowing full well that the wood didn't sit in a lake for 100 years or whatever, just a few months ago, unlike some who were into mythology and "rarity" which to me is complete BS and absolutely not a reason to buy a musical instrument.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back