Pedal Board w/ Bag Solutions?

Yikes! Maybe I shouldn’t have been so quick to tell my wife I want a divorce.

Aw, that’s no big deal. My wife tells me that every time I buy a new guitar or amp, She does it just for fun.

So just for fun, I always say, “Fantastic! Please take all the furniture when you go so I don’t have to throw all that junk away when I move my studio upstairs.”

Then she says, “I’m taking all the money too.”

And I say, “Great! I have too many guitars and amps already.”

Then, just for fun, we glare at each other for a few days and don’t speak. Both of us really enjoy the peace and quiet.

This has been a real source of merriment and joy for many years!

wXhWMV2.jpg

Now I just gotta wire this sh!t up.

For years and years I’ve said that there is no “best” anything; there’s just what works for you. Nonetheless, all pedals aren’t alike.

The most important question about a pedal manufacturer is not whether their products are made a certain way - that’s just something thrown on top of the sauce to help a buyer justify a purchase. The real question is whether a designer’s tastes coincide with what you want to hear from your gear.

Whatever gets them to make something that pleases your ear is interesting, but less important. Their personalities are interesting, but less important. How their products perform is what’s important.

Lots of products get by on hype - like that’s a new thing - but some stuff has withstood the test of time. In my case, “the test of time” is whether it’s stayed part of my rig for longer than a month or two.

“How long did it take you to build your pedalboard, Les?”

“51 years.”

I can’t +1 this enough!

I have pedals from every price bracket, $60 to $300+, and there are absolutely no “constants.” No brands that I universally love every single pedal they make, no country of origin, design spec, component type, price, or any other factor that can guarantee me that a pedal will be great.

Now, there are some general rules that tend to be true - often I find more expensive pedals to do their “thing” better than cheap ones, purely because fewer compromises have to be made from a cost of production standpoint. But, it doesn’t always take money to do a pedal right, it’s just depends on specifically what the unit needs to do, and how much the components and build cost for it to do that job best.

Example - best tubescreamer type pedal I’ve owned is a $60 Garagetone Drivetrain. Most others I’ve tried, I like less, some as much if I tweak them just right, but nothing beats that $60 pedal for overall vibe. Another example, other extreme, Bogner Wessex for $220ish - I truly believe something about that Neve transformer makes it special, it is hands down the smoothest breakup I’ve ever gotten from a pedal, nothing else comes close. But, is the Neve transformer best for all pedals? No, I didn’t care for its sibling, the Burnley, at all. Les, I remember you talking about some studio-spec aspects of the Pettyjohn gear that makes them play well with your style and needs, which are obviously studio type work.

I can’t +1 this enough!

I have pedals from every price bracket, $60 to $300+, and there are absolutely no “constants.” No brands that I universally love every single pedal they make, no country of origin, design spec, component type, price, or any other factor that can guarantee me that a pedal will be great.

Now, there are some general rules that tend to be true - often I find more expensive pedals to do their “thing” better than cheap ones, purely because fewer compromises have to be made from a cost of production standpoint. But, it doesn’t always take money to do a pedal right, it’s just depends on specifically what the unit needs to do, and how much the components and build cost for it to do that job best.

Example - best tubescreamer type pedal I’ve owned is a $60 Garagetone Drivetrain. Most others I’ve tried, I like less, some as much if I tweak them just right, but nothing beats that $60 pedal for overall vibe. Another example, other extreme, Bogner Wessex for $220ish - I truly believe something about that Neve transformer makes it special, it is hands down the smoothest breakup I’ve ever gotten from a pedal, nothing else comes close. But, is the Neve transformer best for all pedals? No, I didn’t care for its sibling, the Burnley, at all. Les, I remember you talking about some studio-spec aspects of the Pettyjohn gear that makes them play well with your style and needs, which are obviously studio type work.

Not to piggyback on your quote, but the stuff you’re saying about the differences in price resonates.

I tried really hard to pull the Zooms off my board... but I can’t. They’re sandwiched between my Bogner Red, boutique drives from Rider and endcapped with an Eventide H9. Those janky lil’ pedals just plain work for me, and do sh!t, and combinations of sh!t that can’t or won’t be done with any other pedal regardless of price.

Les, I remember you talking about some studio-spec aspects of the Pettyjohn gear that makes them play well with your style and needs, which are obviously studio type work.

They’re interesting pedals that can be used to color/enhance the sound in subtle ways (they do other things, too, but I like subtle tweaks), and they work well with my guitars and amps. For the most part, I want to shade the tone instead of whacking it, and they’re good at that. The Suhr stuff I have can also be used subtly.

But I also really like the classic tones of the Fulltone stuff - I think they capture that classic 60s - 70s pedal thing well. Liked the Wessex a lot, too when I had it. The Xotic stuff sounds great to me. Heck, my problem is that tons of stuff sounds great! So I’m pretty hopeless. :)

I don't like how the Pedal Train is so flat. I prefer a bit of a rake.

Currently,I'm looking at a VoodooLabs Dingbat board with built in power supply and soft case

Another vote for the pedaltrain family. I wore out the bag for my pedaltrain pro after a few years and replaced it with a mono bag that is great. Board is light, sturdy, and easy to work with.

You got some very nice boards. I use an Accel XTA10 with batteries. Board and bag are about 100 on reverb.
I tested the batteries. They'll run at least 35 hrs with all these pedals continuously on. I got tired of waiting for them to die...

9fpZfDzd_o.jpg

aUmWZyY0_o.jpg

Back