Cables, Tone, Pickups, Buffers, Amps, Etc., or "It Ain't Always About The Pickup."

I am also an advocate for in-ear monitors if your band can afford them...if you and the other band members can actually hear each other in practice and on stage, aren't you going to sound a whole lot better? And play better? And be tighter?
Absolutely, yes. We started out with sound support philosophy from the Buddy Holly era...vocals got the lion's share of sound support, with the kick drum and maybe snare/toms. Guitars/bass were on their own. Then we were playing bigger venues, outdoor gigs, etc. and really pushed the limit of our self instrument monitoring. In those situations I rarely could hear my own vocals. That's when we started a mixed bag of self amp'ed guitars with IEMs for vocals. Man, what a failure! We couldn't control what each person wanted and now I couldn't hear my guitar. LOSE.

There's only one one way to do sound support: all or nothing. All IEMs replacing floor monitors, or none. All instruments in the mix or go home. We did it for almost 4 years so I can confirm that it can be done, but it was a seriously difficult task. Spend the money to do it right, get trained by a professional, and don't look back.

There's only one one way to do sound support: all or nothing. All IEMs replacing floor monitors, or none.

When it comes to audio, this is my feeling regarding the whole ball o' wax, I completely agree. Whether it's studio, stage, or for me, just practicing, either the situation is all-in, or I'm not interested! :top:

When it comes to audio, this is my feeling regarding the whole ball o' wax, I completely agree. Whether it's studio, stage, or for me, just practicing, either the situation is all-in, or I'm not interested! :top:
(I think this is why people think we're snobs. :biggrin:)

You know, I am a huge snob. Shocker, I know.

(I think this is why people think we're snobs. :biggrin:)

You know, I am a huge snob. Shocker, I know.

Hah!

Ya know, the world is full of contradictions and that's what makes it a fun place. F'rinstance, good equipment and the hodgepodge combination of "I want this because I'm into the best playability and tone" and "I want this because it looks cool/has high status, etc."

High status snob items achieve that cachet because they are very good items to begin with. Then as the word gets out, if they're also a bit more expensive items, they become status symbols of a sort. It's very difficult to separate that sort of thing. I can tell you that I bought my first PRS before it was ever a status symbol and an object of snobbery. Heck, I walked out of the store with one the first time I played it, and had never even heard of a PRS before (this was early in 1991). So was I a snob or simply someone who liked good items with good tone? As it happens, at the time, I got funny looks from people who'd never heard of these guitars and had to explain the whole thing when folks would ask me about it.

I've always been picky about my audio. That's why I started recording my own ideas instead of hiring studios and engineers. That's not snobbery, I think it's good sense.

But when clients came in and saw my recording setup (at the time there was only analog gear and I had 5 racks of it that do less than what's in my computer now), they were also impressed. So there came to be a sort of status around that. And I didn't mind that. I never minded having people be somewhat impressed.

So do you call it snobbery, or do you call it enthusiasm for a way of life, or something else? I think there are just grey areas out there where things kind of become a mashup. That's not a bad thing.

I do want people to think well of me, that's human nature. But at the same time, if my taste in recording or gigging or even practicing equipment turns them off because they somehow contrive the idea that I'm a snob...well, screw 'em.

At the same time, I try to post helpful threads on forums. Is that because I'm the most enlightened teacher of things relating to sound and want to share my thinking with the world, or because I like a little attention? Probably both.

Last edited:
...if my taste in recording or gigging or even practicing equipment turns them off because they somehow contrive the idea that I'm a snob...well, screw 'em.
Since I'm sometimes seen as a contrarian (just to be a PITA), I'll focus on this statement: YEP! Though I'm not a bumper sticker kind of person, if something could be squished onto a small adhesive label affixed to my car (perish the thought), it would be a variation of the statement above. Viva la différence! Besides, every time I setup on stage it looked like a cavalcade of PRS freakdom. I'm ok with that. Who(m) here is going to cast the first stone? ;)

/me putting on helmet

Back