Cables, Tone, Pickups, Buffers, Amps, Etc., or "It Ain't Always About The Pickup."

László

Too Many Notes
Oh sure, there's lots of stuff on the Forum about pickups, tone, and so on, but there's been very little discussion about the impact of the rest of the signal chain that can make a very big difference on your your guitar sounds in the real world. So here goes.

Background: 47 years of playing guitars, 25 years of recording them professionally.

Disclaimer: This is a distillation of what I've learned. It ain't gospel. But some of these ideas might be worth trying to see if they work for you, and that's the reason for this post.

Step One. Getting the signal from your guitar to your pedalboard or amp.

If you're not using a wireless transmitter, that signal only gets there via cables. The inescapable fact about passive pickups (that are on most PRSes) is that they put out a tiny signal with no preampfification, and they are unbuffered. Due to the effects of capacitance and perhaps other more esoteric factors that I don't pretend to understand, the longer the cable, the more high frequency signal is lost. If you're the type that needs verification (I did try this) plug into your amp with a one foot patch cable, and then do the same thing with a ten foot cable. With the patch cable, you're going to hear transformer hum from the pickups being so close, but you are also likely to hear high frequency content you didn't know existed. The point is that a 10 foot cable is going to preserve more high frequency content than a 20 foot cable.

Sure, at first there won't seem like much difference between the 20' and the 10' with the guitar turned all the way up. But turn down the guitar volume. All things being equal, unless you have a magic cable of some kind, you're going to notice more of a difference as you roll off the guitar volume. That "highs roll off an unbalanced cable at 20 feet" rule of thumb that applies to electronic gear doesn't apply to guitar pickups when you roll down the volume. If you want to preserve your high frequency content at the first guitar>pedalboard/amp connection and still be able to roll off the volume a bit, try a shorter cable. It's really simple.

What if you don't like a bright sound? Well, that's all cool, and you have tone controls for that. But a certain amount of midrange and high frequency content also gives bass strings more articulation and that revered "piano-like" low end. It lifts the bottom strings from the mud. This is why it's standard practice for a lot of engineers to boost a bass guitar track at around 700 Hz with an EQ, and why most high end bass guitar rigs have a tweeter.

It's better to have high frequencies available, and be able to tailor them with tone controls and EQ, than it is to never have them in the first place!!

So my Rule #1 is:

Use the shortest cable that you can live with.

A corollary to that rule is: get a good cable. Try a few and see what you like. I love the PRS/VanDamme cables for their nice balance of tone, and they also have terrific flexibility but you may find something else more worthy. Bottom line, I don't care what you use, just get something that gives you tone you like and let's not quibble over what your preference is.

2. Step Two: Buffer Your Signal.

Buffers got a bad rap in the early True Bypass days because the crappy buffers in most pedals cost a few cents and don't sound very good. But what a buffer circuit does is preserve high frequency content. There are some very good buffers on the market that sound fantastic. I can recommend the Fulltone and Suhr buffers, but in any case if the first thing your guitar signal hits on your pedalboard is a high quality buffer, that is a very good thing! Then your signal is preserved as it goes to the true bypass pedals you have, and the true bypass prevents the integrity of that signal from being altered by a crappy non-T.B. buffer. If you have a wah that likes to interact with your pickups, put the buffer right after the wah. Then you can run a long cable from pedalboard to amp without any tone-suck. If your pedalboard is very large, and the distance to your amp is very long (like more than 20-30 feet, it doesn't hurt to have a second high quality buffer at the end of your pedalboard either.

3. Step Three: Set Your Amp Up Right.

This is the case whether or not you're using a multichannel amp, or a single channel amp -- If you crank your guitar volume to 10 to set up your amp, the volume and tone controls on your guitar become pretty useless. And most players who habitually set the guitars on "10" would agree. They say they never use their volume and tone controls. Well, I beg to differ. And so do players like Grissom, Bonamassa, Robben Ford, and many other players who are well known in the guitar world for their good tone.

If you set your amp up to sound the way you want with the guitar volume and tone controls rolled back a bit - I actually go to around 6 - you have the glorious ability to use only the guitar to add volume, tone, color, additional grit, girth, and emotion to your playing, that you can't get another way. Here is a non-technical explanation of why that's true.

Adding gain to the signal hitting the amp not only makes it louder; the way tubes work, it adds a bit of distortion to the signal, like a boost pedal. Only unlike a boost pedal, this is something you can control as you play without adjusting the pedal. Let's examine what happens with a tube getting a hotter signal:

Most guitar amps, whether tube or solid state, are designed to distort, and their base harmonic distortion level is at 10% or so before you even turn up the gain. This would sound horrible with a hi fi rig, but it's what makes tube amps so cool. As you add gain - that's just another word for volume - the distortion rises and the signal becomes fatter on the bottom, and crunchier on the top until you get into serious clipping, at which point the high frequency content starts to roll off.

It is this distortion, and how you control it, that gives a guitar amp color. When you throw away the ability to control the nuance of that color, grit, girth, etc., with your guitar volume, you are limiting what you can do with your guitar's signal.

The same is true for pedals. The good ones react differently to the volume level coming out of the guitar.

If you're using a shorter cable, and a buffer at the beginning of your pedalboard, a world of color and emotion are there to control just by turning the freaking knob on your guitar! Why give that up?

Moreover, if you are setting up your amp to sound good on 6, or 8, or 4, or whatever, you have given yourself room to control the color in two directions with a twist of that volume knob. Want to hear just a touch more top-end grit while playing a song? Just goose your volume a little. Too bright? Use that tone control on your guitar. Suddenly your pickups take on the dimension and color that they were created to deliver.

Different pickups will give you different colors, and that's the beauty of discovering what your guitar and amp combination can do. Sure, it takes a little experimentation. But when I hear some of the tone issues that have come into my studio over the years, even with good players, and the blank expressions when I ask how they set their amp up, it really amazes me that people seem to be ignorant of these techniques.

When you buy a PRS, you have a guitar built with some of the best ability to do these things, EVER. Don't be lazy. Try these suggestions, you might become happier with your tone.

4. Step Four: Do You Know What Your Rig Actually Sounds Like Tonight? Maybe This Should Be Step 1...

If your speaker cones are aimed at your shins, with their high frequencies absorbed by carpeting, in a bad sounding room, and if you are standing close to the amp, I guarantee that you can not hear what is coming out of that speaker cabinet. It's impossible. You're hearing room reflections, with their common mode issues, comb filtering, and other frequency anomalies.

Fact: Guitar speakers are highly directional, especially in the high frequencies. Put a simple SM57 in front of an amp, and move it around in the room and you will discover just how directional the high frequencies of a guitar speaker cone can be. The tone will change dramatically as you do this.

You are not hearing your amp unless that speaker cone is pointing toward your ears. What you're hearing is sound bouncing around the room. However, your audience is hearing more than you are because as the sound radiates out from that cone, the cone widens. So you're probably killing them either with too much low end, or too much high end.

Actually, I don't care about your audience, I just care about what's coming out of that speaker cone, because that's what I have a mic on. And you care about it because you're you, the player. You want to be happy with your tone. I get it.

So here are the rules: Get the cab off the floor so you can hear it. A few inches matter. This has the additional benefit of reducing the room mode called half-space reinforcement that artificially kicks up your bass (actually doubling it in some cases). Get it away from the rear and side walls, to avoid 1/4 or 1/8 space room modes. There's a reason engineers test speakers hanging away from walls and corners, away from the floor and ceiling, even in anechoic chambers!

Aim the cab at your ears as best you can. A slight angle really helps, especially if you can sit down closer to speaker level while you're setting up the amp. Then set up the amp while you can actually hear it. Don't worry, it'll still sound good when you stand up, but now it will also sound good to the microphone, and to the audience. Moreover, if you're recording it, the mic will pick up the tone the way you actually heard it! Everyone will be happier. Especially me, if I happen to walk in on your set, and won't have to cover my ears to avoid your crappy guitar sound!

Rant over. :star:

Last edited:
Good stuff. However the one disadvantage I've dound in setting the amp to work well at guitar vol 6-7 is its impossible to resist temptation to turn it up halfway through first song. And then it stays on 11.

...I feel so lost! haha, in all seriousness though, lots of useful information there. I almost feel like you should make a video explaining all of this stuff. Really kind of lost me at the pedal board parts, which sucks considering I use a lot of stuff and that whole aspect has always made my head spin.

Good stuff. However the one disadvantage I've dound in setting the amp to work well at guitar vol 6-7 is its impossible to resist temptation to turn it up halfway through first song. And then it stays on 11.

Oh yeah, that's a serious temptation for anyone. But think of it this way: if you start at 6-7, at least you CAN turn it up. That option isn't there if you start at 11. Of course, for pros working with great bands, with good dynamics, and a great singer, or cutting tracks, there's definitely a need to modulate the volume levels not only from song to song, but within a song.

Ps how dem 85/15 pups treating you?

I'm not having the guitar shipped until it warms up a little. It's been bitter cold around here. I'm a little weird that way.

Last edited:
4. Step Four: Do You Know What Your Rig Actually Sounds Like Tonight? Maybe This Should Be Step 1...

It totally should be.

Really hearing what's coming out of your speaker while pretending to be a SM57 jammed up to it is what you gotta be thinking first. If you can get "your tone" within the ballpark of that test, then you'll have a much easier time feeling satisfied and more time to dick around with the other things. I'm not sayin' it's "right" but I am sayin' that it is the most common and repeated scenario you'll most likely encounter (next to your lead singer being a jerk) as a guitar player.

Last edited:
Brilliant summary, as usual, sir. :cool: Focusing on "hearing the real you", this is why the original angled 4x12 was developed. Those top two speakers, if you were the right distance away, were pointed straight at your head. Two for you, two for the audience. Problem solved, unless you're in a tiny club. Even my angled vert. 2x12 was too big for those places. The option of an amp stand with a compact 1x12 was the only solution and I still had to put the pedalboard halfway off the stage. Because, there's no worse feeling than not feeling confident in how you sound at a gig...mix-wise or tonally. It's a complete distraction and can ruin a performance.

Good stuff, Les.

Here's a little "why do I want to go through this, anyway?" food for thought, aka, my own $0.02.

One of the inherent things about electric guitar as an instrument that I'm not sure gets enough thought/attention is that you have a whole lotta parts in between your intention (as transmitted by your hands/fingers/body) and the result. If you ever spent enough time on a wind instrument to get good at it, you know the feedback loop has a lot fewer elements. Your breath, your fingers, the horn, SOUND. As a result, it comes a little more naturally to be very aware of how those elements work together (or don't) to make a good sound happen.

With electric guitar, you have all the stuff that Les referenced in his OP. That's a lot of stuff. And nowadays I would guess that the majority of electric guitar players (a) have never played much acoustic, (b) have used pedals, distortion, and amps with a lot of gain pretty much since day one, and (c) didn't play a wind instrument in the school band. With all those things being the case, it's pretty easy to avoid developing that strong connection between your intention and the sound that comes off the speakers.

So, if that is the case, where do you start?

1. Unplug Take that lovely PRS solidbody and cultivate the habit of playing it unplugged. Not mindlessly in front of the TV, but mindFULLY, in a place where you can actually hear what's happening. Learn what happens when you hit it hard vs. soft. Now take that scale (1 = soft, 2 = hard) and try to create a scale with 6 gradations instead of 2. Or 10. Or 12.

2. Plug in But to the simplest amplifier you have or can find. Something like an old tweed Fender Champ or Deluxe is perfect. What you want is a simple amp that honestly tells you what your guitar sounds like and what your hands are doing. Don't have one of those? Get one. The more time you spend playing through something like that, the more you'll develop "tone in your hands." Which really translates to "being able to intentionally manipulate your sound with your hands." That's one of the key things that separates good players from average-to-not-so-good players. Get attuned to how much expressivity you can create just with your fingers. (and to how much extraneous noise your hands create if you haven't played like this before!) Learn to go from pretty-damn-gritty to pristine-clean just with your fingers: this entails finding a certain sweet spot on both the guitar's volume range and the amp. I can pretty much guarantee that the sweet spots will NOT be on 10. (or 12 if you have an old Fender tweed) That's an important place to know about; it will help you learn to get the best out of any amp you play.

3. Revisit your regular rig Go back to your regular rig and see what happens. Can you do what you did in (2) the same way? If not, unplug your pedals and rework your amp settings. Then add the pedals one at a time and see what happens when each new pedal joins the fray. What you'll probably find, unfortunately, is that pedals interact in some unpredictable ways, which has to do with differing input impedances, buffers that cause problems with each other, and so on. It can get messy in a hurry. As Les noted, buffering the signal early (and possibly late as well) can help quite a bit, although if you use a vintage-type wah or fuzz you really don't want a buffer in front of that. My solution for when I want to use my full pedalboard is to use a clean preamp that has a bit of a treble boost (Bob Burt Clean Boost is the specific one I use) that's always on and set just a hair over unity gain. Which btw is after the wah and vintage fuzz(es) and before everything else. That does a reasonably good job of compensating for the net effect of going through a bunch of pedals and interconnects which are always a factor even if the pedals are true bypass. It's still not the same as plugging straight into the amp, and for recording or for gigs where pedal use is minimal, I tend to only plug in whatever I'm going to use for that song during that song, otherwise it's guitar-cable-amp.

Good luck and have fun!

I agree 100% with every single point Kingsley made. Great, useful comments from a very fine player. I've heard your clips, Kingsley, you have TONE.

Because, there's no worse feeling than not feeling confident in how you sound at a gig...mix-wise or tonally. It's a complete distraction and can ruin a performance.

So very true!

Last edited:
Thanks, Les. I'm gonna print that out before it gets lost in the thread. And I'd love to see you demonstrate this in a video, on Youtube, even.

:adore:

That was indeed an excellent rant!

1. Guitar Cable Capacitance... Yes guitar cable capacitance has a huge effect on tone due to the low pass filter effect on high output impedance inductive passive pickups (forms an interactive circuit), anything else a cable does is then as a result of inteference noise (poor shielding), handling noise (poor shielding of tribolectric microphonics), or breaking!

We go into some detail about capacitance and many other facets of cable design here (including a capacitance chart for pretty much all of the bulk cables on the market which will be useful for DIY cable makers):

http://www.shootoutguitarcables.com/guitar-cables-explained/introduction.html

2. Buffer Pedals... I would only add that my preference would be for a class A buffer pedal for the purest signal buffering possible, and to check how a buffer interacts with your different dirt pedals especially fuzz.

3. Volume Control/Tone Control... yes volume control backed off a little will lower output and unless special circuitry is in your guitar also reduce highs (which is an annoyance to some) especially if total unbuffered cable capacitance is high... so backing off the volume into low total cable capacitance and setting up rhythm or basic lead like that gives room to 'boost' both volume and brightness (and therefore distortion following on from that in pedals and amps) via the volume control. Many great guitarists do indeed work with the quirks of volume control to their advantage. Good call.

4. Rig rundowns on Youtube often show road crews setting up all manner of DIY acoustic control to tame nasty reflections, in addition to careful thought and experimentation of where to put and point the amp! Studio engineers usually pay a lot of attention to such things also, but it's easy to forget as a guitarist and just blame the guitar/pickups/pedals/amps instead! Dirt sounds from amps are generally pretty brutal as sounds go, especially up close, and especially also in very live bright sounding acoustic environments with little high and mid frequency dampening. Hopefully nobody has ever said the words 'My PRS/pickup is too bright' after playing through the treble channel of a Plexi in a tiled room, but in a less extreme form, we guitarists are often guilty of blaming our piercing cacophony on 'something' and throwing the baby out with the bathwater. These days I cheat and run through a Two Notes system, but now it's even more difficult to hold on to my tone sanity... I have no excuses left for sucky tone!

Cheers.

Marc,
Shootout! Guitar Cables UK

Last edited:
1. Unplug Take that lovely PRS solidbody and cultivate the habit of playing it unplugged. Not mindlessly in front of the TV, but mindFULLY, in a place where you can actually hear what's happening.
I do this daily and fall even more in love with each guitar, every time. There isn't even an amp upstairs (where all of my guitars hang), first because Mrs. B doesn't like them cluttering up our living room, and second, because I prefer playing them acoustically whenever I walk by. Great point, Kingsley!

I'm going to weigh in again with some great advice from my friend Steve Kimock www.kimock.com on "how to dial in an amplifier." This was orignally posted by Kimock on The Gear Page several years ago; he's posted versions of it in other places as well. The process is specific to a Dumble amp, but with a little translation it will work for whatever amp(s) you happen to use. Notice the first thing it entails: NOT playing the guitar or having the guitar be part of the sound. Sort of the same principle as playing an electric guitar unplugged. You learn a lot about how each element in your signal chain behaves when you isolate it.

OK, how to dial up a Dumble? I do it the same way I dial up ANY amp, which begins by listenting to just the amp, not the guitar through the amp.

1. Plug in your guitar, turn the guitar volume off.

2. Turn the amp control off, everything all the way down.

3. Get right down next to the speaker.

4. Open up your post effect master 50-75%. Listen to the amp blow through the speaker, anything?

5. Open up the front master a little bit, listen to the blow.

6. Open up the gain to 1

7. Open up the tone controls to 2 or 3

8. OK, now you should hear something. Hissshhhhpopshhh etc.

9. Rotate the input volume. Listen, you'll hear when the control starts to respond. At different places around the rotation of the pot, you'll hear the amp come on.

Most volume controls exhibit similar behavior, but the exact place they start to become active varies with the individual pot, taper, value, and circuit.

The first sweet spot is where the amp goes from nothing at all happening, to a little blow that normally starts at a pretty high frequency and then begins to pick up a little volume and low end. Take note of that orientation of the pot and remind yourself that that setting is a threshold setting, on one side one behavior, on the other side a different behavior. With whatever voltage you get from the output of your guitar, backing off on your right hand touch or digging in should give you a little change in the way the amp responds. See where this is going? We're looking for settings that exhibit this threshold or touch-sensitive behavior. That first mark on your input volume is going to be almost ridiculously low, but don't discount it yet. If something is happening there, and the amp is telling you that it is, you can exploit it in combination with the other controls.

So anyway, you get a mark around 1 or 2, or between 8 and 9 o'clock chicken head time if that's your knob. Keep going. You should hear another change in the blow coming through the speaker at around 10 o'clock chicken head. This is a real sweet spot on the Dumble, and in a very narrow range around this spot are the only good overdrive tones when you stack the gain. Much past that is just fuzz box.

Keep going!

Up around 1 or 2 o'clock will be another location on the pot where if you sweep back and forth a little you will hear the characteristic oooh-waaa of one behavior of the amp above the spot and another below. This is the territory I do the majority of my clean playing in. I can back off with my right hand and be using a wonderful clean sound or dig in and get the amp to sing, not high gain mind you, but two different sounds.

Keep going!

Past 3 o'clock on my amp the sound doesn't change much but does pick up in volume. Some amps or maybe preamp tubes will actually go into oscillation at this point, and the volume will go down, so pay attention when you get to the higher gain stuff, to check to make sure the control is doing what you think it should.

Now pick anyone of these "threshold" locations and go through the same process with the tone controls. Listen carefully for the blow to change as you work each control through its rotation by itself and in combination with the other controls. You might be surprised what you learn.

This approach will let you know when the amp is "doing something". Regardless of tube type or guitar, etc... the amp can't hide from this kind of scrutiny, and it can't lie to you either, so do it, and center your efforts in those areas where a little voltage swing from your guitar will move the amp around a little.

Last edited:
I'm going to weigh in again with some great advice from my friend Steve Kimock www.kimock.com on "how to dial in an amplifier." This was orignally posted by Kimock on The Gear Page several years ago; he's posted versions of it in other places as well. The process is specific to a Dumble amp, but with a little translation it will work for whatever amp(s) you happen to use. Notice the first thing it entails: NOT playing the guitar or having the guitar be part of the sound. Sort of the same principle as playing an electric guitar unplugged. You learn a lot about how each element in your signal chain behaves when you isolate it.

OK, how to dial up a Dumble? I do it the same way I dial up ANY amp, which begins by listenting to just the amp, not the guitar through the amp.

1. Plug in your guitar, turn the guitar volume off.

2. Turn the amp control off, everything all the way down.

3. Get right down next to the speaker.

4. Open up your post effect master 50-75%. Listen to the amp blow through the speaker, anything?

5. Open up the front master a little bit, listen to the blow.

6. Open up the gain to 1

7. Open up the tone controls to 2 or 3

8. OK, now you should hear something. Hissshhhhpopshhh etc.

9. Rotate the input volume. Listen, you'll hear when the control starts to respond. At different places around the rotation of the pot, you'll hear the amp come on.

Most volume controls exhibit similar behavior, but the exact place they start to become active varies with the individual pot, taper, value, and circuit.

The first sweet spot is where the amp goes from nothing at all happening, to a little blow that normally starts at a pretty high frequency and then begins to pick up a little volume and low end. Take note of that orientation of the pot and remind yourself that that setting is a threshold setting, on one side one behavior, on the other side a different behavior. With whatever voltage you get from the output of your guitar, backing off on your right hand touch or digging in should give you a little change in the way the amp responds. See where this is going? We're looking for settings that exhibit this threshold or touch-sensitive behavior. That first mark on your input volume is going to be almost ridiculously low, but don't discount it yet. If something is happening there, and the amp is telling you that it is, you can exploit it in combination with the other controls.

So anyway, you get a mark around 1 or 2, or between 8 and 9 o'clock chicken head time if that's your knob. Keep going. You should hear another change in the blow coming through the speaker at around 10 o'clock chicken head. This is a real sweet spot on the Dumble, and in a very narrow range around this spot are the only good overdrive tones when you stack the gain. Much past that is just fuzz box.

Keep going!

Up around 1 or 2 o'clock will be another location on the pot where if you sweep back and forth a little you will hear the characteristic oooh-waaa of one behavior of the amp above the spot and another below. This is the territory I do the majority of my clean playing in. I can back off with my right hand and be using a wonderful clean sound or dig in and get the amp to sing, not high gain mind you, but two different sounds.

Keep going!

Past 3 o'clock on my amp the sound doesn't change much but does pick up in volume. Some amps or maybe preamp tubes will actually go into oscillation at this point, and the volume will go down, so pay attention when you get to the higher gain stuff, to check to make sure the control is doing what you think it should.

Now pick anyone of these "threshold" locations and go through the same process with the tone controls. Listen carefully for the blow to change as you work each control through its rotation by itself and in combination with the other controls. You might be surprised what you learn.

This approach will let you know when the amp is "doing something". Regardless of tube type or guitar, etc... the amp can't hide from this kind of scrutiny, and it can't lie to you either, so do it, and center your efforts in those areas where a little voltage swing from your guitar will move the amp around a little.

This is great advice - and he's absolutely right, thanks for posting it! Kimock is a superb guy and a great teacher (more later on what he taught me about speaker polarity and matching the amp's output polarity).

I've actually done something very much like this with every control on every amp I've had for many years to hear what the controls do, but I've done it with a guitar's volume open to about 1 or 2, just to have some kind of signal present as a reference, but concentrating on what's coming out of the amp, not the guitar so much.

It's a lot like doing a frequency sweep on a new pair of studio monitors to hear their quirks and also running pink noise to figure out where best to put them in the room (you guys all do this, right?). Or working with a new EQ to hear its curves. Etc.

That was indeed an excellent rant!

1. Guitar Cable Capacitance... Yes guitar cable capacitance has a huge effect on tone due to the low pass filter effect on high output impedance inductive passive pickups (forms an interactive circuit), anything else a cable does is then as a result of inteference noise (poor shielding), handling noise (poor shielding of tribolectric microphonics), or breaking!

We go into some detail about capacitance and many other facets of cable design here (including a capacitance chart for pretty much all of the bulk cables on the market which will be useful for DIY cable makers):

http://www.shootoutguitarcables.com/guitar-cables-explained/introduction.html

2. Buffer Pedals... I would only add that my preference would be for a class A buffer pedal for the purest signal buffering possible, and to check how a buffer interacts with your different dirt pedals especially fuzz.

3. Volume Control/Tone Control... yes volume control backed off a little will lower output and unless special circuitry is in your guitar also reduce highs (which is an annoyance to some) especially if total unbuffered cable capacitance is high... so backing off the volume into low total cable capacitance and setting up rhythm or basic lead like that gives room to 'boost' both volume and brightness (and therefore distortion following on from that in pedals and amps) via the volume control. Many great guitarists do indeed work with the quirks of volume control to their advantage. Good call.

4. Rig rundowns on Youtube often show road crews setting up all manner of DIY acoustic control to tame nasty reflections, in addition to careful thought and experimentation of where to put and point the amp! Studio engineers usually pay a lot of attention to such things also, but it's easy to forget as a guitarist and just blame the guitar/pickups/pedals/amps instead! Dirt sounds from amps are generally pretty brutal as sounds go, especially up close, and especially also in very live bright sounding acoustic environments with little high and mid frequency dampening. Hopefully nobody has ever said the words 'My PRS/pickup is too bright' after playing through the treble channel of a Plexi in a tiled room, but in a less extreme form, we guitarists are often guilty of blaming our piercing cacophony on 'something' and throwing the baby out with the bathwater. These days I cheat and run through a Two Notes system, but now it's even more difficult to hold on to my tone sanity... I have no excuses left for sucky tone!

Cheers.

Marc,
Shootout! Guitar Cables UK

Marc, I enjoyed reading the material on your site. What is especially interesting to me, not only as a guitar player but also as a synthesist, is reading that the high frequency rolloff is accompanied by a resonant peak that measurably affects the tone.

This makes a guitar cable similar to a Moog style lowpass filter with "emphasis" (resonance on non-Moog synths) turned up.

I also very much appreciated your list of cable types with their capacitance listed. I've had experience with quite a few of the cables on the list, and their "sound" really makes sense considering the capacitance/rolloff equation. As an example, I really like Canare GS for bass guitar. I see that the capacitance is quite high. I'm also going to guess that the HF emphasis at the rolloff frequency
might be at a point where a little EQ boost there sounds nice on a bass track, and that the reduction in high frequencies simply results in a tone balance that favors the bass.

I've also had very good luck with the Van Damme cable, that appears to be pretty good across the line.

My experience with the GeorgeL's also mirrors your findings. Thanks!

I agree about the Class A buffer, as I've used an Avalon U5, a Class A direct box, for direct recording of both guitar and bass, and it really does sound great.

I'm going back and carefully rereading this whole thread because the "seriously good sh*t" factor has spiked. Great, great advice for every level of player. Thanks to all that contributed.

Brilliant summary, as usual, sir. :cool: Focusing on "hearing the real you", this is why the original angled 4x12 was developed. Those top two speakers, if you were the right distance away, were pointed straight at your head. Two for you, two for the audience. Problem solved...

Yes, it does help, but there is still the issue of the half space or quarter space room mode artificially doubling (or worse/better depending on location and one's point of view) that bass tone. And unless you're in an arena, by the time you get those 4 speakers distorting (something that certainly adds to the sound we associate with amplified guitar), you're also exciting other room modes and even adding in some structural vibration and noise.

The problem with sound bouncing around any room other than an anechoic chamber (which incidentally would sound really unnatural and awful!) is that as the sound waves bounce back and forth, they cause comb filtering, resulting in the out-of-phase cancellation of some frequencies, and the exaggeration of other frequencies.

These kinds of anomalies are present in every room, no matter what, and every room really does sound different. In fact, I just moved my speaker cabinet for my DG30 across my 14 x 30 foot studio, and the sound completely changed in the room. Same room!

So it tickles me in a way when people set up their amps very carefully at home, then go to play out, and complain about their tone. Well of COURSE it sounds different! This is why touring bands do sound checks at every venue! It isn't just to make sure the PA works! This is why setting up your amp and understanding what's really happening in the room you're going to play or record in is important.

I am also an advocate for in-ear monitors if your band can afford them. Yes, good ones cost nearly a grand a pair, but isn't hearing what you're doing at least kinda worth the investment? You're going to spend that on a few pedals, fergodsakes!! I see guys with $3000 worth of pedals on their boards, who can't hear what they're doing, so what's the freaking point of having 5 distortion pedals if you have no idea what they're cranking out? Moreover, if you and the other band members can actually hear each other in practice and on stage, aren't you going to sound a whole lot better? And play better? And be tighter?

Back