Ownhammer kills it!

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by elvis, Aug 23, 2018.

1. elvis

elvis Hamfisted String Banger

I frequently use my Torpedo Live and nearfield monitors to play my amps at reasonable volume.

I played around with the factory IRs and downloaded some of the user IRs on the site, but none of them sounded very good.

I was skeptical that I could get the thing to sound good, but heard enough about Ownhammer to give them a try.

I play through vertical recto 2x12s when I use cabinets. The OH site has a free download pack with some limited mesa 4x12 IRs.

Holy cow! They sound fantastic! I didn't even get into the detailed part. I just demo'd the quick start models and found a couple that sound right on the money when I A/B them with the real cab.

I'm really happy with them. Now I can play the Archon 24/7!

bodia, HANGAR18, LSchefman and 2 others like this.
  2. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I use the Ownhammer IRs with the Mesa Cab Clone. They improve the result quite a bit.

elvis likes this.
  3. HANGAR18

HANGAR18 ...a TWISTED SISTER pin?!

Ya learn something new everyday around here.

4. alantig

alantig Sassyless pants

So, Cab Clone -> interface -> IR in a plug-in? Is that how you do it? Never thought to try that.

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Yes. I use the IR plugin that came with Logic. It makes things sound a little nicer. If you think about the concept of the Universal Audio OX, or the Two-Notes hardware, the basic concept is similar. In the case of the OX, they take a load box, and model the speaker cab, room, and post-processing effects. The Two-Notes uses IRs with a load box.

The only drawback to the Cab Clone is that it’s not a reactive load, but once you use an IR, it’s awfully good anyway.

Be sure to set the plugin to 100% wet.

On top of that, I sometimes use Universal Audio’s Ocean Way Studio plugin to model the room sound.

alantig likes this.
  6. elvis

elvis Hamfisted String Banger

Les, do you have any issues with the cab clone distorting? I have a little bit of clip no matter how clean the amp is. When I go to a real cab it's not clipping.

Which output and settings do you use?

7. alantig

alantig Sassyless pants

Thanks - I know what I'm going to try to play with next time I'm down there. I just defaulted to the CC's cab settings, but this would add a ton of flexibility in addition to the improved sound.

8. DickBanks

DickBanks New Member

I use them on my Helix. And really, some of the weirdest combinations work the best--right now I have the Mesa Boogie Mark IV lead channel feeding into an Ownhammer combination Greenback and Blueback speaker IR--sounds fantastic with my S2 Custom 24. Go figure!

9. jak3af3r

jak3af3r New Member

I play a Helix live most of the time and made my own impulse responses with a friend and all our amps/cabs combined. The real magic is IR's of acoustic bodies. Really opens up an acoustic guitar in a live setting running direct.

10. alantig

alantig Sassyless pants

Thanks, Les - this turned out to be a wonderful tip.

I played with this a little yesterday, loading IRs through Space Designer and Lancaster Audio's Pulse plug-in (Pulse is pretty much just an IR loader, and it's free). Man, what a difference this made. It gave the sound from the Cab Clone a whole new body that wasn't there before. New trick for an old dog!

I will have to play around with which cab setting on the Cab Clone works best for me, but one of the great things about this is I won't have to commit to the sound right away - I'll be able to change the cab IR at will afterwards.

I did download the free Mesa cab from Ownhammer - man, there are a ton of settings to pick from! The Lancaster IRs I bought have three examples each. Ownhammer's model has a ton. Almost to the point of option overload.

LSchefman likes this.
  11. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

I think it was Pete Thorn that mentioned them a few years ago, so I gave them a whirl in Garage Band and Logic. In addition to Wall of Sound, OwnHammer produced the best results with next to no tweaking. I get it!

12. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I'm so glad it worked for you!

Doing it that way saved me a lot of headaches, and pretty much eliminated problems recording my amps when I can't crank them, like late at night when I need to finish a project.

As good as most models have become, I can only live with them as scratch pads!

13. reilly

reilly New Member

FWIW, I just purchased the new Own Hammer Friedman BE412 cab pack and I am really impressed (i own an actual Friedman BE 412 cab and they did a fantastic job capturing its sound). Was able to get some really nice tones with my Archon 100w running through a Suhr Reactive Load into an apogee element interface. Plus the Cab pack includes v30 and greenback speakers like the real cab so you have a lot of options to work with.

LSchefman and DreamTheaterRules like this.