OPINION? At what point does an artist's instrument increase in value

There are a very few guitars that will get value from their owners Most we could probably name here on a fairly short list. For everything else, it's a sales gimmick that could push a borderline buyer to the other side on a fair market guitar. Not much more and in some cases may actually work in the other direction.

Obviously it works, otherwise all these guitar makers wouldn't have so many "signature" lines, but I think it works the same as above.

I like what I'm reading.

As I said, I don't think it should increase the value if the person is not a huge household name.

This guitar is cosmetically not in the best condition... I think it's cool that it belonged to someone who used to be in one of my favorite bands... but really I'm hoping the seller realizes it doesn't have much value to it so I can score a cheap guitar to satisfy my GAS for a bit.

(It's not like I'd buy it and never play it, I'm just actually trying to find a good deal on a core model for Drop B tuning, and luckily enough this one is already set up in Drop B...)

Value depends on who you ask. I wouldn't pay a dime more for any guitar just because it belonged to some famous guy. That goes for "Limited Edition" models or anything that might fall under the banner of "collectible". Heck, I don't even buy 10 Tops anymore if I can help it.

Reactions: CVS
I would pay more for something if it had historical and personal importance to me. How much more is a good question though and would have to be based reality.

As was touched upon earlier, I would not pay $3000 for a used CE that Alex Lifeson used on a certain tour or album (I'm a huge Rush fan as well!). However, if it came with a COA and affidavit from Alex, I might be willing to pay a few hundred more over normal market value. But I would have to dig the guitar itself first.

Just because so and so played a First Act on this or that world tour does not make it worth a grand in my eyes. In then end, it's still a First Act.

I did that. I was amazed how small the premium was after having been to the first Clapton auction (Brownie and Blackie were both sold at it). I find it a bit poetic to have a Les Paul Les Paul.
To balance it out, I also have a PRS PRS.
Something about Pauls and guitars.

I only heard about the auction after the event and to my surprise some of the gear went out for less than I would have imagined. The more recent Les Paul guitars, and he had many of them were quite affordable. He had so much equipment. Incredible. I have the results of the sale open now and I watched again the videos on youtube earlier. He had a Stratocaster with a sterile headstock that was given to him by Leo Fender himself and this was not in the lots so maybe this one stayed with the family. I am so pleased you were able to take something home with you. I would play the **** out of it everyday. I am going to tell my friends that I know someone who has a Les Paul Les Paul and a PRS PRS!

Yes, there is something about les Pauls :)

I would pay good money to own a Les Paul that Slash used on tour.

I'm not even a big fan of Slash... but I'd buy it because a) it's f*cking cool, and b) everyone who saw it would say, "That's f*cking cool!"

I wouldn't pay extra an artist owned guitar that failed to pass that test.

Back