Older pickup rings: same as Gibson’s?

StSpider

I’m eyeing a McCarty from the early 2000s. The owner changed the pickup rings with black ones (originals are included).

Looks wise I really like it. What concerns me is that the new rings might not be a perfect fit and possibly required to alter the mounting holes in some way. Which is a no from me.

Seller says the rings are Gibson’s and that they did not require any modification.

He’s probably right, they do seem to be about the same (tho the rings on my 90s CE24 are flatter than Gibsons) but I thought I’d ask anyway.

Thanks!

IIRC, PRS used to use DiMarzio pickup rings some years ago. The 97’ Custom 22 that I sold recently had them as OEM. I believe the rings are going to be the same (size-wise) as Gibson rings. The only time I’ve seen odd sized rings have been on some import guitars. The Gibson rings are a different compound and tend to bend more. And most all PRS rings I’ve purchased have had flat bottoms.

Last edited:
Yes. I replaced the cracked and broken rings on my 95 Cusrom 22 and 97 CE 22 with Dimarzios just this year and they were identical.

I replaced/ upgraded my old rings on my ‘93 Custom 22 seen on the left here to current new PRS rings with the gold screw set and they fit perfectly. Looked nicer as well because the new rings are more refined and fit the uncovered Dragon 1’s more evenly….
FWIW, I also upgraded the original stoptail bridge and studs to the new version with brass inserts and it made a noticeable difference to the tone (brought out higher frequencies) and sustain . more Kerrang:D

Last edited:
I replaced/ upgraded my old rings on my ‘93 Custom 22 seen on the left here to current new PRS rings with the gold screw set and they fit perfectly. Looked nicer as well because the new rings are more refined ect……
FWIW, I also upgraded the original stoptail bridge and studs to the new version with brass inserts and it made a noticeable difference to the tone (brought out higher frequencies) and sustain . more Kerrang:D
Hm, you’re giving me food for thought! The McC will hopefully be with me next week. I’ll make a NGD post soon enough.

I can't say whether the Dimarsios are a replacement for PRS, but I can say that Gibsons are NOT the same. At least not the ones on LP's. They do not have the same contour at the body.

Back