SE Paul’s Guitar Mods and Info

NolaBG

Hi everyone. First time poster, but I’ve read lots of helpful posts here.

I wanted to relay my experience with changing the pickups, rings, and tuners on an SE Paul’s Guitar, since I couldn’t find all the information I needed in one spot. Hopefully this helps someone else.

This guitar sounded and played great when I got a steal on it second hand, but I bought it with the intent to mod it to (1) learn how to do it myself (I’m a tinkerer) and (2) possibly improve the guitar. Also, I did not like the overall look of the amber model, particularly all the black plastic accents.

First, I swapped the pickups for Suhr Thornbuckers. 53mm is the perfect bridge size. To mount them, I used cream PRS SE mounting rings for a trem guitar, not a stoptail. I think lots of rings will work on this guitar as long as they’re flat bottom with no taper on top. Tapered rings would probably still function, but they put the pups at a pretty severe angle to the strings. The two original stock rings appear to be identical. They will not fit covered pickups. I swapped out the tiny black ring mounting screws with #2 x 3/8” slotted screws in brass to match the bridge posts. #3’s would work fine too. Either way you have to enlarge the factory holes a bit. #3 screws are probably better since they use a 1/16” pilot bit, which is more common than the #2 pilot.

Wiring the Suhr pups into the PG was the biggest pain, mostly because I am not knowledgeable about guitar wiring and could not find accurate color coding for the PG pup wires. After some failed trial and error, I had to sit down and map the coil wires and their polarity with a meter. (It turned out that the stock pup wire color assignments are laughably different from the Suhr. Very funny, PRS.) Once I did that, though, and matched up the Suhrs, the Suhrs worked like a champ, with all the functionality of the originals. I wasn’t even sure if the Suhrs would work using the existing wiring given its purported uniqueness, but they sound fantastic in full and split modes. This leads me to believe there’s nothing special or unique about the stock pups. My notes on the diagrams showing the color matchups are below.

Finally, I replaced the stock tuners with Gotoh SD-90 wheel lockers in nickel. They look much better, function fine, and cost way less than similar PRS offerings. No reaming required but the original bushings won’t work with the Gotoh’s (hole too narrow), so I had to push them out and press in the Gotoh bushings. Easy enough but I had to very carefully use a set of padded channel locks to seat the bushings all the way. I also used the Gotoh CARDs under the tuner backs. Probably not necessary but I see their purpose. The tuner buttons look a bit small, but ok whatever.

I have some machined brass knobs on order, and I’m going to find a truss rod cover to replace the stock plastic junk.

All in all I think she came out great in form and function. And I’m only into it for around $850 total, which might be the best part.

Thanks and I hope this info helps someone else.

Edit: I’ll post pics when I figure out how.

0265-F843-9172-4-CD7-8-AD8-FDE3-E9-A83-A07.jpg
[/url] [/IMG]

xqRg2Tm

Last edited:
Awesome that you figured things out. This might help too. The original PRS wiring, and obligatory stock guitar pic too.

49167507362_4422c04f6b_o.jpg

48112283283_2479eb98d6_o.jpg

48011287513_3ddfb5d0e8_o.jpg

Yes, thanks. I used those diagrams in the process. Also thanks for the stock pic; mine is/was exactly the same. I forgot to post some before shots. (Still getting the hang of the photo deal.)

What color truss rod cover do yall think i should go with? I'm thinking either (1) ebony to match the current black, (2) a reddish wood like rosewood/cocobolo to coordinate with the headstock, or (3) amber flame maple to coordinate with the body. I might do an abalone inlay, but so far, I haven't seen any inlays that i have to have.

I (think I) would go with an unlacquered brass TRC to match the bridge posts, but I haven't found one.

A personal opinion on a silly issue: after looking at a lot of TRC's to replace the stock one, PRS uses the ugliest, most boring shaped TRC. (sorry, don't shoot me)

Did you have to drill new holes for the pickup rings?
No, they were the same hole pattern. This must be a pretty common hole pattern because i tried a non-PRS angled set and they fit fine as well. YMMV

I did have to deepen the holes since the original screws are absolutely tiny and aren't long enough for the bridge ring. I suggest using a #3 screw for replacements since you can use a regular 1/16" bit for a pilot hole. #2 screws use a very small pilot bit that I had to special order. Lesson learned there.

That's very, VERY good to know! I've been wondering about that. The guitar simply looks so much better now. I understand why they wanted the fancy/wacky rings to make it look like a USA Paul's guitar, but I mean c'mon! Look at the difference! IMHO, so much better with traditional rings and covered pickups!

3-A4-BE14-F-2-DFF-4-A6-C-B42-F-86-D6-E38-DD19-C.jpg

That's very, VERY good to know! I've been wondering about that. The guitar simply looks so much better now. I understand why they wanted the fancy/wacky rings to make it look like a USA Paul's guitar, but I mean c'mon! Look at the difference! IMHO, so much better with traditional rings and covered pickups!

3-A4-BE14-F-2-DFF-4-A6-C-B42-F-86-D6-E38-DD19-C.jpg

Thanks. I agree it definitely looks much better. The black doesn’t look as bad on the other colors but it’s too much on the amber. I thought about just changing the rings and adding covers to the stock pups, but i decided it wasn’t worth the trouble.

Nice upgrades! Been mulling putting in some Bareknuckles or Dragon 2's in mine. Still happy with the stock pickups though. Curious if you've considered a bridge swap.

Really nice work! I'm about to do Phase 3 tuners on mine, but can't wrap my head around Trampas Green and Creme going together.

Again, thanks for posting this it is inspirational!

Last edited:
Back