Old 93 Standard 22

Artjr

My wife's a Lawyer
I wanted a beater PRS, I found a 93 Standard 22 serial number says 93 3-16*** PRS says no std 22 till 94. Anyway it's solid black and would look great with a new coat of paint. PTC could paint it for $1150 or there's a great painter here in NC that could do it for $350. I really hate to have him paint over the serial number and what do they do about the PRS logo on headstock . I forgot to ask. My question is should I just have him paint the body and just touch up the nicks in the headstock. Or will this guitar be worth something one day and just leave it alone?
Thanks for any suggestion.

How bad is it? There`s a painter in Baltimore named Chris Bavaria, worked for PRS for over a decade. I have him buffing out the body on a 2003 CE 24 that was a road dog. it took me 3 hours just to get the bad fingernail polish repairs off.A buff out might be the best way to go. i`m going to play this particular guitar, so I can live with less than perfect.

00K0K_h6JnkcJRqe6_300x300.jpg
00v0v_eS87NIn9qpW_300x300.jpg

I would buff it out and do not paint it if was bought as a beater. If you do send it to PTC, I think you will have a new guitar with logos and keep the serial number. Take the purchase price plus the new paint and see if you would be able to sell it for the much or more. I would think you would be at a loss or maybe break even.

Play it as-is, preserve the mojo, and save your money towards your next PRS!

BTW diggin that AP CU24. Santana Yellow with gold hardware and zebras is a hot combo!

Like G-man said, if you make it new it won't be a "beater" anymore. If it were me I'd maintain the beater status by doing a little Sergio inspired "Design on a Dimebag" D.I.Y. work on it.

That is not a 1993. You can tell from the heel on the neck. It could be a 2003, or a 1999, depending on how the serial number is *actually* written. What's the actual serial number say, verbatim? There's no reason to block out certain numbers.

Leave it alone IMHO - if it plays nicely why mess about with it?

Back