Oh, I Get Ideas...

László

Too Many Notes
Some of my ideas are, 'This might be a little crazy but I'm gonna swing for the fences'. The result might be, 'That was a really bad idea'; it might be, 'Thank goodness that actually worked out'. I never know until it's complete, and the results are kinda iffy: 50/50 at best.

Over the weekend I decided that I want to replace at least one of my cabs with a Grossmann silent cab. I've been making noises about doing this for a long time. I don't even want to use modelers as scratch pads at night any more. In fact, I just want to cut final tracks and not drive my wife nuts. Modelers don't work for me.

One nice thing about the Grossmann is that not only can you permanently mount mics in it, not only does it actually work and sound good, it comes with a quick-change speaker mount. You can swap a different speaker into the cab in less than a minute. My amp/cab switcher can do 8 heads, and 4 cabs. I could add an extension box for more cabs, but I just don't want the clutter of more cabs. In fact, I'd like fewer cabs. Maybe get down to just one or two.

The Cali Tweed 212 I've been using with the Fillmore sounds great, but I sold it because it's the only 4 Ohm cab I had. I want all the cabs to be 8 ohms to make using the switcher more consistent. I sold it yesterday to get the ball rolling. Got a decent offer and took it. I felt weird about it, but I said to heck with it and did it. Boom! Done.

If the Grossmann works out (I'm deciding between the painted finish and the oak) I might just build that amp rack o' dreams to keep the amps by my workstation, and just be down to the speakers in the Lone Star combo and the Grossmann. Less clutter would be good.

Or I might decide that I made a huge mistake! :eek:

But I'm going forward with this plan, and shall see how it all works out.

If it doesn't work out you can always go back and regroup and get back what you sold until you find something else you dig. You never know until you try! I hope it works out amazing for you my friend!

That is just Gross Mann! To think you would sell a cabinet and NOT sell it to andy474x!! The experiment however is clearly one of exemplary logic and any thoughts of it being a huge mistake will likely be grossly exaggerated, man!!!

You sold the Cali Tweed cab to someone that’s not me???

That offense aside, great call on the Grossmann. The ability to swap out speakers will be very cool. I love having lots of speaker variety on hand. Anything you’re anticipating trying in there?
I didn't know you wanted it!

I definitely want to get a Celestion Alnico Cream 90, a Jensen Blackbird, and I have honestly no idea what else!

Looking forward to seeing your carpentry skills ;)
You've seen them in the pics of my studio furniture, heck, all the corners are mitered, and we even welded the steel legs, but my brother and I made them 30 years ago. I don't know if I'm still capable, and I don't know if he'll be into working with me on it. Guess I'll find out! ;)

However, I have alternate theories. One is to put a second shelf under the keyboard stand/desk built when I did the other stuff, that's just sitting around holding a lamp, a vase and some books. Two heads on top, one under the counter surface, and it'd probably work. That's my backup plan. Still, I'd love to have something purpose - built.

On the other hand, I still have the two PRS 2x12 cabs, and I think I should hold onto them until I get the Grossmann.

Yep, going to want one of those Blackbirds back! Lol

I think it’ll be fun to see what you can do. I’ve got an Alnico Cream in a Carol Ann semi-open back cab, and everything sounds good through it. And, like the big Jenson, it’ll handle the power without getting weak in the knees. I think you’ll like it.

Regular reports are required!

I didn't know you wanted it!

I definitely want to get a Celestion Alnico Cream 90, a Jensen Blackbird, and I have honestly no idea what else!
Don't know the exact answer, because it depends on your tonal needs, but it starts with "Scumback..."

Don't know the exact answer, because it depends on your tonal needs, but it starts with "Scumback..."
Oh yeah, that dude is a Speaker Wizard!

Terrible name for a company, but seriously great vintage-style speakers. Which ones do you have, and what kind of cab did you put them in? Once I order the Grossmann cab, I'll probably order a few speakers, and that'll be on my list - maybe a vintage style Alnico. Thanks for reminding me!

Back