Oh, I Get Ideas...

Alternatively, you could just get your wife a boyfriend and put a 4x12 in your dining room after she moves out.

Spouses are a tough sell when they get to a certain point in life.

She's been trying to fob me off on a girlfriend for years, and so far, no one's interested. ;)

Last edited:
Might not have to build my own amp shelving. Found this on the Pottery Barn site, the weight capacity is 520 pounds. Something like this might do just fine if the dimensions are right. I'm not sure the distance between shelves on this will work, it's 13.5 ", so I have to do some measuring.

It's 66" wide, so plenty wide enough to hold six amps.

Anyway, it's sturdy as hell and the shelves are unlikely to sag. The horizontal orientation means that unlike a tall shelf, this would be less likely to tip over. Tipping would be a concern if a tall shelf unit tipped, with a couple of hundred pounds of amps falling on someone - like a kid who got a little too inquisitive - I'd have to use a wall strap for safety with a tall shelf. I doubt I'd need that with this kind of thing.

uPpegIb.jpg

Last edited:
Might not have to build my own amp shelving. Found this on the Pottery Barn site, the weight capacity is 520 pounds. Something like this might do just fine if the dimensions are right. I'm not sure the distance between shelves on this will work, it's 13.5 ", so I have to do some measuring.

It's 66" wide, so plenty wide enough to hold six amps.

Anyway, it's sturdy as hell and the shelves are unlikely to sag. The horizontal orientation means that unlike a tall shelf, this would be less likely to tip over. Tipping would be a concern if a tall shelf unit tipped, with a couple of hundred pounds of amps falling on someone - like a kid who got a little too inquisitive - I'd have to use a wall strap for safety with a tall shelf. I doubt I'd need that with this kind of thing.

uPpegIb.jpg
If spacing is good, that could be a nice amp rack.

If spacing is good, that could be a nice amp rack.
I think so too!

The shelves are thick enough that the weight of the amp won't make them sag, and I'd put the PRS amps with their top-mounted controls on the top shelf, which also has the unit's steel frame running horizontally under the shelf. The lighter weight Fillmore and other smaller amps could sit on a lower shelf.

The sole drawback is the $1200 price tag, though it's on sale for a grand now.

Alternatively, I can accommodate two PRS amps on top of a keyboard desk I built many years ago, and could probably move the pull out shelf underneath and create a spot for the Fillmore, but I'm not sure I'd like it as much. It wouldn’t be as convenient to use due to the two foot depth.

The desk I’m talking about is on the right side in the pic. It remains an option.

vVuKdv2.jpg

Or you could consider that a teaching moment.
Sadly, I know a family whose 3 year old son was crushed to death when heavy furniture fell on him.

There are certain things that are just too horrifying to kid around about. Seriously.

Last edited:
The shelving unit looks sturdy. Are those solid wood planks?

If so, have they been dried correctly to allow tonal nirvana?
Haha! I don't know about tonal nirvana, but the top shelf that would hold two amps is very thick and braced underneath by the steel frame along its entire length. So that certainly won't sag.

The other shelves look thick enough that they won't warp holding a fairly light amp (I think the Fillmore is only 26 pounds). The total of my 3 amps would still be hundreds of pounds less than the claimed weight capacity of the unit.

It appears that I'd spend close to a grand on materials for the amp rack I've been thinking about, given the cost of the formica surfaces, the oak-covered plywood, the maple edging, and the steel tubing for the frame and legs, and that's if I don't farm out the welding and powder-coating of the frame and legs.

Seems like this particular shelving unit, or something similar, would be a smart buy.

I spent $1400 for the materials for my desk and stands originally, and it's not like prices have gone down since 1993-4. ;)

Last edited:
Well, the best-laid plans of mice and men, and all that...

I saw that Mesa has re-introduced their 4x10 open back cabs. I love 4 x 10s! Celestion Creambacks..impossible to resist.

I figured, why spend a grand for something to put the heads on when they're sitting on cabs just fine? So I ordered the 4 x 10.

I still plan to get a Grossmann, by the way.

Well, the best-laid plans of mice and men, and all that...

I saw that Mesa has re-introduced their 4x10 open back cabs. I love 4 x 10s! Celestion Creambacks..impossible to resist.

I figured, why spend a grand for something to put the heads on when they're sitting on cabs just fine? So I ordered the 4 x 10.

I still plan to get a Grossmann, by the way.
You can’t buy a better made piece of furniture for less than a Mesa cab anyway.

So you’re really being practical and frugal.

Back