Oh, I Get Ideas...

"So Les, which of the other cabs will you sell when you get the Grossmann?"

"Is it that you want to cause me a nervous breakdown, or what? I'm still in mourning for the Mesa cab. I'm even wearing a black T-shirt, see?"

"You wear a black T shirt every day, fool. Choose."

"I can't. I won't. I dunno. Can't decide. Leave me alone."

"But you told your wife..."

"Shhh! Stop! Gaaaaaahhhhh!" :eek::eek:

Oh yeah, that dude is a Speaker Wizard!

Terrible name for a company, but seriously great vintage-style speakers. Which ones do you have, and what kind of cab did you put them in? Once I order the Grossmann cab, I'll probably order a few speakers, and that'll be on my list - maybe a vintage style Alnico. Thanks for reminding me!
Does the Grossman take different size speakers?

Oh yeah, that dude is a Speaker Wizard!

Terrible name for a company, but seriously great vintage-style speakers. Which ones do you have, and what kind of cab did you put them in?
Agree on the name, but Jim explained it at TGP once and it had to do with a joke that got legs so he ran with it. And unfortunately, I don't own any. Yet. And I know that makes it just "internet advice." Every time I get close, something else comes up and I don't pull the trigger. Heck, I was talking to him a few months ago while planing the HDRX20 purchase, but that gets put on hold with the problems with the silver sky, etc...

But I have heard several models in person in stores and get togethers. I've heard in person an 2 M cab and an H/M cab. Both sounded great.

Agree on the name, but Jim explained it at TGP once and it had to do with a joke that got legs so he ran with it. And unfortunately, I don't own any. Yet. And I know that makes it just "internet advice." Every time I get close, something else comes up and I don't pull the trigger. Heck, I was talking to him a few months ago while planing the HDRX20 purchase, but that gets put on hold with the problems with the silver sky, etc...

But I have heard several models in person in stores and get togethers. I've heard in person an 2 M cab and an H/M cab. Both sounded great.
He's a super nice guy. It's not just internet advice; I've heard his speakers and they really do sound like the real deal/

He's a super nice guy. It's not just internet advice; I've heard his speakers and they really do sound like the real deal/
What I heard sounded great. I just keep finding cabs that already have speakers, etc. The one cab I heard was a Bogner 2x, which is known to be about as good as it gets already, but it had an H/M combo in it and I wanted that cab on the spot, but it was not for sale. I tried to buy a stock Bogner 2x and figured I'd add the Scumbacks afterwards, but they seem to push $750 USED with stock speakers so your well over a grand to get one and add Scumbacks. Maybe I should sell two of my cabs and just do it...

I am going to resume talks with Jim and he is actually going to advise me which 2x12 cab to use when I buy a pair from him. Just got side tracked with the HDRX20 and because of SS issues.

What I heard sounded great. I just keep finding cabs that already have speakers, etc. The one cab I heard was a Bogner 2x, which is known to be about as good as it gets already, but it had an H/M combo in it and I wanted that cab on the spot, but it was not for sale. I tried to buy a stock Bogner 2x and figured I'd add the Scumbacks afterwards, but they seem to push $750 USED with stock speakers so your well over a grand to get one and add Scumbacks. Maybe I should sell two of my cabs and just do it...

I am going to resume talks with Jim and he is actually going to advise me which 2x12 cab to use when I buy a pair from him. Just got side tracked with the HDRX20 and because of SS issues.
The Bogner cabs are excellent; I had both the closed 212 with the slightly slanted front, and the open back 212. I sold them when I switched exclusively to Two-Rocks; for those I had one of the TR 212 cabs.

The TR cab came with the OEM 12-65s that Robben Ford preferred at the time with his Dumble. I think they were made by WGS or Weber. I wasn't crazy about those speakers - something about them sounded 'off' to me compared to British-made Celestions. That's when I got in touch with Jim.

But as I was exploring speakers, the HXDA and DG30 were obvious choices for me, and I wound up getting the PRS cabs. They sound great with the stock V30s so I've stuck with them.

What I've heard from the Grossman demos, I've liked enough to invest in one. Since it'll be crazy-simple to change speakers and experiment, I'm going to get a few different types, and see what I prefer. It'll be cool to have some choices!

I don't know about you, but I think speaker cabs and speakers are as important as any other transducers (i.e., mics, studio monitors, etc).

A fantastic shredder like you should have the very best amps and speakers on the market, regardless of whether they cost a few bucks more. You deserve the good stuff. You've practiced, you've gotten there, I say go for it!

I know, it ain't about 'deserve'; but you actually DO deserve the best!

I'm 100% with you on getting a "silent" speaker box instead of attempting to use cabinet IRs. I just can't get them to sound good. I thought I didn't like amp sims until I routed it to an actual amp and speaker cab, and realized it was Close Enough™ - it's those cab IRs that just sound off.

I keep thinking about doing the same as you, but now I can just wait until I hear back how you like it! \o/

I'm 100% with you on getting a "silent" speaker box instead of attempting to use cabinet IRs. I just can't get them to sound good. I thought I didn't like amp sims until I routed it to an actual amp and speaker cab, and realized it was Close Enough™ - it's those cab IRs that just sound off.

I keep thinking about doing the same as you, but now I can just wait until I hear back how you like it! \o/
I'm still having trouble deciding between the oak and the painted finishes. First world problems...

I'll probably start a thread once I get the thing going.

I had to set the Fillmore up on an Anthro cart, since there's nowhere else to put it.

I feel like a complete idiot for selling the cab now. :rolleyes:

I'm still having trouble deciding between the oak and the painted finishes. First world problems...

I'll probably start a thread once I get the thing going.
The wood is certainly more stylish, but I can see the pros and cons with each.

Wood
* Doesn't damp sound as well
* Could warp if they didn't season the wood well enough
* Will not have any deterioration problems with moisture
* Is pretty
* might have better acoustic properties (will have resonances MDF will not)
* could be a nice antique/vintage piece of functional art one day

MDF
* Will never move, as long as you don't get it damp, then it'll just fall apart
* It's a painted box
* more sound attenuation at more frequencies
* sounds flat, the speakers are doing all the work
* less durable
* like half the price

I don't know about you, but I think speaker cabs and speakers are as important as any other transducers (i.e., mics, studio monitors, etc).
After rolling through multiple amps and speakers the last few years, I completely agree.
A fantastic shredder like you should have the very best amps and speakers on the market, regardless of whether they cost a few bucks more. You deserve the good stuff. You've practiced, you've gotten there, I say go for it!

I know, it ain't about 'deserve'; but you actually DO deserve the best!
Smoke and mirrors…

But seriously, thank you for the kind words.

The wood is certainly more stylish, but I can see the pros and cons with each.

Wood
* Doesn't damp sound as well
* Could warp if they didn't season the wood well enough
* Will not have any deterioration problems with moisture
* Is pretty
* might have better acoustic properties (will have resonances MDF will not)
* could be a nice antique/vintage piece of functional art one day

MDF
* Will never move, as long as you don't get it damp, then it'll just fall apart
* It's a painted box
* more sound attenuation at more frequencies
* sounds flat, the speakers are doing all the work
* less durable
* like half the price
I like the look of the oak. On the other hand, I could install a wall plate with jacks, and stick an MDF one in my storage room out of sight. On the other hand, I'd have to pay my tech to come in and install the jack, and by the time I was done, I'd have spent the price difference!

I dunno. More thinking to be done.

I like the look of the oak. On the other hand, I could install a wall plate with jacks, and stick an MDF one in my storage room out of sight. On the other hand, I'd have to pay my tech to come in and install the jack, and by the time I was done, I'd have spent the price difference!

I dunno. More thinking to be done.
I like the oak as well. I'd like the easier access of the box being in the room as opposed to the closet.
Isn't it fun spending other people's money? :cool:

Back